Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think starting at 20 years old is too late?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think starting at 20 years old is too late?

Hi,

I started boxing this week after one year of Kickboxing because boxing is really my favourite sport. I thought the fact that i had better hands than my sparring partners in Kickboxing was gonna help me. I was wrong BIG time.

Yesterday, I trained boxing with a pro and he almost knocked me out several times, that was a painful but great experience. Now i'm really eager to learn and i want to become, at least, as good as the pro who did beat me up.

Do you think starting boxing at 20 years old make my dreams of being a good professional( who wins a lot of money) impossible ?

Are there good boxers who really started at 20years old or more ? ( Not Tarver, he had a great amateur career).

Nope its never too late (to a limit), some fighters didn't start till that age so I wouldn't see why you can't your still young and have many years ahead of you.

Nate Campbell started when he was 24 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayorga-Rules View Post
      Hi,

I started boxing this week after one year of Kickboxing because boxing is really my favourite sport. I thought the fact that i had better hands than my sparring partners in Kickboxing was gonna help me. I was wrong BIG time.

Yesterday, I trained boxing with a pro and he almost knocked me out several times, that was a painful but great experience. Now i'm really eager to learn and i want to become, at least, as good as the pro who did beat me up.

Do you think starting boxing at 20 years old make my dreams of being a good professional( who wins a lot of money) impossible ?

Are there good boxers who really started at 20years old or more ? ( Not Tarver, he had a great amateur career).

B-Hop did not turn pro until he got out of prison at age 20 or 21 or something like that. He did not have any amateur career at all.

Comment

You could start boxing at age 5 and still not become a successful pro who makes a lot of money.

If you're in the sport just for the money, don't bother. There's far easier ways to make a buck. Do it because it's something you enjoy, and take it as far as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          B-Hop did not turn pro until he got out of prison at age 20 or 21 or something like that. He did not have any amateur career at all.
          hopkins did have an amateur career, but never won any major national or international tournaments. he actually started pretty young, then sort of phased out as he got older.

Comment

Originally posted by RightHooker View Post
            Do it because it's something you enjoy, and take it as far as you can.
            Yeah man, those word are inspiring.

Comment

There are examples of people starting that late and forging very good careers. Danny Green didn't enter a gym until he was 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayorga-Rules View Post
                Hi,

I remember making a thread like this a few months ago and everyone telling me to go for it. Now I'm in my 3rd month of training and have my first exhibition match next month. Stick with it.

Comment

nate campbell started late too he was like 24

Comment

nate had a lengthy am. career before

Comment

Working...
                    X