Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I admit it. boxing SUCKS compared to mma.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing has major flaws, but it’s boxing all the way for me.

We’ve had this conversation so many times in the past, but the fact remains that boxing is still here.

I’ll sit down and watch UFC fights with friends idc, but I can’t connect to the sport the way I connect to boxing. Boxing, to me, is much more accessible. I don’t understand all the finer points of MMA, the different striking styles, or the grabbling styles, the rolling, that’s a foreign language to me. I also don’t know any of the fighters names or anything about them.

Look UFC is fun and its easy to watch and it’s understandable that the matchmaking is better and there’s a reason for that. UFC is a league the way NFL is a league. Boxing doesn’t have that. You have different promotional companies like Top Rank, PBC, Golden Boy being the big ones and their biggest stars don’t fight each other because they don’t want to split profits.

If boxing was dead, you wouldn’t have McGregor putting on boxing gloves.

And for those who say boxing is boring, I just tell them to put on Zepeda vs Baranchyk. To me, that’s much more exciting than any UFC fight.

And I have friends who watch both boxing and UFC, so there’s no reason why someone could be a general “combat sports” fan.

Comment

Originally posted by musiol View Post
      Best card ppl in uk was judgement night naz benn winky
      Holyfield Tyson Botha Moore’s akwandi 10£ uk to USA 10 hours or something
      How’s is it an odd statement lol you just answered it in your post the boxing cards are terrible now
      I meant its interesting that boxing cards used to be what mma cards have been in the last few years

Comment

Originally posted by NYG View Post
        Nobody here cares about MMA. Go promote it somewhere else, get the **** out of here
        Lolol theres that trademark insecurity and defensiveness. On MMA forums you have people hyping up Loma/Lopez talking about how they will watch it over the UFC that weekend, or praising guys like Fury. On boxing forums you have people getting angry that you mention MMA and coming up with the dumbest most irrational arguments ever against it. It says a lot about where the two sports are at these days tbh.

Originally posted by b morph View Post
        And I have friends who watch both boxing and UFC, so there’s no reason why someone could be a general “combat sports” fan.
        This is true and its why it makes me laugh when some people get annoyed if you say one does certain things better than the other. As though its an all or nothing situation and you can only watch one and must defend it blindly. You could think MMA is 10x better but still want to watch Fury, AJ, Loma, Canelo, GGG, Wilder, Spence, Crawford etc etc. I used to love K-1 back in the day too.

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post
          Lolol theres that trademark insecurity and defensiveness. On MMA forums you have people hyping up Loma/Lopez talking about how they will watch it over the UFC that weekend, or praising guys like Fury. On boxing forums you have people getting angry that you mention MMA and coming up with the dumbest most irrational arguments ever against it. It says a lot about where the two sports are at these days tbh.

This is true and its why it makes me laugh when some people get annoyed if you say one does certain things better than the other. As though its an all or nothing situation and you can only watch one and must defend it blindly. You could think MMA is 10x better but still want to watch Fury, AJ, Loma, Canelo, GGG, Wilder, Spence, Crawford etc etc. I used to love K-1 back in the day too.
          I’ll watch UFC if my friends are watching and I have even been pretty entertained by it. It’s a lot more enjoyable for me when they’re striking from the stand up position because that resembles boxing a lot more and to me, it’s more visually appealing than the ground game. Some of their striking isn’t even that bad and makes me think they could do okay in boxing.

I’ll always pick boxing over UFC though.

I remember I couldn’t make a UFC gathering one night. It also happened to be the same night that Williams lost to Rosario last winter in an upset. It was a great match. I asked my one friend how the UFC card was. He said it sucked. I told him he should’ve watched boxing that night.

Comment

I’ll watch UFC if my friends are watching and I have even been pretty entertained by it. It’s a lot more enjoyable for me when they’re striking from the stand up position because that resembles boxing a lot more and to me, it’s more visually appealing than the ground game. Some of their striking isn’t even that bad and makes me think they could do okay in boxing.

I’ll always pick boxing over UFC though.

I remember I couldn’t make a UFC gathering one night. It also happened to be the same night that Williams lost to Rosario last winter in an upset. It was a great match. I asked my one friend how the UFC card was. He said it sucked. I told him he should’ve watched boxing that night.
            Most people are not fans of anything.

They following trends and whatever large groups of society are doing etc 'They don't know what they like, they get told what they like' The thread starter does not know what he likes, because he is a weasel 'People like this will chop and change, like the weather'.

Plus as Bernard Hopkins once stated? We live in a microwavable age, the UFC is like sugar for all these weasels 'Their shot of sugar and Junk food'.

I have no issue with Martial Arts, as I participated in it myself 'I just dislike the culture with surrounds mixed martial arts'.
            Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 10-25-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deowal View Post
              mmgay is WWE for drunken fratboys who realized pro wrestling is fake. it has no appeal to real boxing fans (ie. a real sport)
              A real sport? Like where you have 4 or 5 champions at the same weight all refusing to fight each other, having a million pointless weightclasses with 4 or 5 “champions” . Boxing is dying a slow death... once the AJ/Fury Canelo etc are into the sunset it’s going to struggle big time unless big changes are made..

Comment

I’ll watch UFC if my friends are watching and I have even been pretty entertained by it. It’s a lot more enjoyable for me when they’re striking from the stand up position because that resembles boxing a lot more and to me, it’s more visually appealing than the ground game.
                It definitely is, but the ground game can be entertaining too once you understand the basic concepts of it. Its slower paced than the stand up but much more technical and can actually be more physically draining.

Comment

All the mmgay fans decided to join boxing forums after the mcgregor-mayweather freakshow card and now think they know something about boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchairhero View Post
                    once the AJ/Fury Canelo etc are into the sunset it’s going to struggle big time unless big changes are made..
                    There will always be stars/fights coming along every now and then to keep people tuning in sporadically I think.

Comment

I feel like UFC caters to the WWE fans that moved on to something real. I used to be a WWE fan when I was like 10 years old. Once I discovered boxing, that was it. Never watched another WWE match in my life.

I've tried watching UFC fights and some are entertaining, but that is to be expected. The overall enjoyment however is probably 2 entertaining fights for every 5 I watch and I don't watch it often. The only time I enjoy it is when they're standing up and then the skill level isn't always up to par when they're up. A lot of them look like dudes throwing a punch like they would at a bar with no training.

I'll always prefer the standup combat at the highest level. Sure, you don't always get those in boxing but when you do, they're awesome to watch and I appreciate it as an art more than a combat sport. When you master your sole craft to the highest level, it's a beUt to watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X