Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I admit it. boxing SUCKS compared to mma.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CauliflowerEars
    replied
    Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post
    But its not boxing. This is like saying boxers are disgustingly bad at jiu jitsu and muay thai.
    This is the point here. Some don't like MMA, simply cuz it ain't boxing. It doesn't matter how great the MMA skill or product is, it ain't boxing. Same can be said about Boxing not being MMA. It may not have anything to do with all the shortcomings of professional boxing. It may just be because one prefers MMA style fighting. - - to each his own.

It is what it is. In 25 years we'll see how many or how few new boxing fans emerge. Like this TS, most 20 yr olds will prefer MMA/UFC. It's more popular to the younger generations. No denying, really.
    For some reason, most younger cats can't appreciate the sweet science of boxing and older traditional fans relate less to the martial arts/grappling style. And yet others still, who enjoy them all. It's all preference and opinion.

Ultimately, it's just petty and ignorant to come on a forum specifically to bad mouth or denigrate one sport or the other. So for me, any rebuttals to this boxing criticism get a pass. The TS publically declared "boxing sucked, was boring, etc etc, and EFF boxing."
    If you want to engage in a healthy discussion that's one thing. Starting a thread to provoke discord, disrespect, and act catty, is another.
    Kudos to those that responded reasonably.

Leave a comment:

• Grange_27
    replied
    Thats still 10x more than you know about MMA.

I could use a laugh though, if you feel like attempting to explain how boxing is more technical and complex than a sport that features every skill boxing has plus a million other skills that it doesnt.
    OK so lets look at it like this. Boxing is football(soccer for those not UK based) and MMA is Rugby.

In football you use one skill kicking and perfect it. In rugby you use lots of different skills including kicking. Nobody in thier right mind would suggest a pro Rugby player who was good at kicking could crossover to football. So saying how many skills MMA fighters are average at frankly doesnt interest me at all. Some people like Rugby I can take it or leave it. Football all the way.

Leave a comment:

• TMLT87
    replied
    Originally posted by deowal View Post
    you dont know **** about boxing lol
    Thats still 10x more than you know about MMA.

I could use a laugh though, if you feel like attempting to explain how boxing is more technical and complex than a sport that features every skill boxing has plus a million other skills that it doesnt.

Leave a comment:

• deowal
    replied
    How is it less skilled? like 75% of the technical aspects of an MMA fight dont even exist in boxing. No kicks, no advanced clinch game, no takedowns, no ground game. The ground game alone is far deeper technique and strategy wise than boxing.

You see more KOs and finishes because of the small gloves, the lack of standing counts, the longer rounds and all the added weapons. Nothing to do with a lack of skill. When you have big gloves, counts, 3 minute rounds and only punches coming at you even a badly outmatched opponent can last a while.
    you dont know **** about boxing lol

Leave a comment:

• TMLT87
    replied
    Originally posted by NYG View Post
    It's just so sloppy and by the time the fight is half over, both guys are gassed. My opinion is that the skill gap is smaller between elite ufc guys and ufc journeymen than it is between elite and journeymen boxers. A surprise chokehold or wild kick or punch can end a ufc fight. Boxing is straight hands
    Wrestling and kicks drain your gas tank far quicker than straight boxing though, plus 5 min rounds vs 3 minute so less breaks to recharge.

Theres more chance of an upset in MMA, I agree with that. That just makes it more impressive when guys put together long undefeated streaks in MMA imo.

Leave a comment:

• NYG
    replied
    How is it less skilled? like 75% of the technical aspects of an MMA fight dont even exist in boxing. No kicks, no advanced clinch game, no takedowns, no ground game. The ground game alone is far deeper technique and strategy wise than boxing.

You see more KOs and finishes because of the small gloves, the lack of standing counts, the longer rounds and all the added weapons. Nothing to do with a lack of skill. When you have big gloves, counts, 3 minute rounds and only punches coming at you even a badly outmatched opponent can last a while.
    It's just so sloppy and by the time the fight is half over, both guys are gassed. My opinion is that the skill gap is smaller between elite ufc guys and ufc journeymen than it is between elite and journeymen boxers. A surprise chokehold or wild kick or punch can end a ufc fight. Boxing is straight hands

Leave a comment:

• TMLT87
    replied
    Originally posted by NYG View Post
    Because it's less skilled than boxing so you see more KOs and ground finishes.

Leave a comment:

• NYG
    replied
    Originally posted by deowal View Post
    If you think UFC is a better model than boxing I don't know what to tell you. UFC fighters are getting robbed blind by Dana White, they make a tiny fraction of the total revenue the UFC brings in. Dana White is 10x a bigger scammer and criminal than ANY boxing promoter is. Yet you dummies think boxing should follow their model?
    Agreed. People want to see rock em sock em robots, nobody can appreciate technical boxing fights anymore and that's why they rather watch the UFC. People don't like things their brains can't understand.

Leave a comment:

• NYG
    replied
    Thats called an opinion, champ. Its also a pretty ****ing stupid one as opinions go, considering MMA has the higher finish rate, more upsets, more dramatic finishes and you already (albeit in a roundabout way) admitted that its more exciting to casual viewers.
    Because it's less skilled than boxing so you see more KOs and ground finishes. People rather watch something like that because it's easier on the eyes. Just because something is more entertaining doesn't make it better.

Leave a comment:

• HrNY
    replied
    boxing can't even get fans to watch when there's nothing else to watch, that right there says enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X