No announcement yet.

Rousey blasts professional wrestlers offended by calling WWE ‘fake fights’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rousey blasts professional wrestlers offended by calling WWE ‘fake fights’

Ronda Rousey already made her opinion clear when it came to pro wrestling fans, but now she's taking aim at the performers as well.

Last week, the former UFC women's bantamweight champion ripped World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) fans when she explained why she'd never return to the promotion on a full-time basis.

Calling them "ungrateful" for the way she was treated during her WWE stint, Rousey also chopped at the promotion's central gimmick by saying she enjoyed "having fake fights for fun."

That didn't go over very well with a few of the WWE's biggest performers who'd shared the stage with Rousey during her brief time in the ring. She scoffed at those upset about having their jobs called "fake fights." Compared to what she used to do in the octagon, they were far from real.

"Anyone who is outraged by me calling pro wrestling 'fake fights for fun' has never been in a real fight," Rousey said on Instagram. "While you all are tip-toeing around bruising some pro wrestlers' huge soft egos -- no one is thinking about all the real fighters you're insulting when pretending pro wrestling is somehow on the level of realism.

"Yes, I understand, wrestling 300 days a year for years on end is incredibly tough on the body and a difficult profession -- but do you know what would happen if you got in 300 REAL fights a year? You would be dead."

Rousey definitely understands MMA and wrestling. At one point, she was widely considered one of the best pound-for-pound fighters on the planet in the UFC. Then she made her move to pro wrestling and was an instant star.

During her time with WWE, Rousey used her skills a former UFC champion in the ring, employing the same moves she once did in the octagon. Obviously, she wasn't trying to hurt any of her fellow performers like she did when she was fighting, which is why she called WWE "live theater" when speaking about her time with the organization.

Since her WWE departure, a Rousey comeback has been rumored. Her latest comments could help build an eventual return to the ring. But then again, she may just not care any longer whether she offends her former employer, considering she hasn't wrestled in over a year and there's no clear cut sign she'll ever return.

Rousey’s a stud for sure. But she also competed in Judo which is legit undetermined competition, but’s it’s not “ real fighting” either as it’s done in Olympics. Wrestlers with their long careers prolly end up with more surgeries than most mma fighters. But if u can legit fight at the top level then u can only fight once a year in say mma or boxing and make the big money. Rousey has to either buy into the whole gimmick of wrestling or not. Sucks to lose to sum chick who isn’t even a great wrestler in ring and talks a lot of smack like Becky Lynch. But if she wasent rich already she’d appreciate it more cause it’d make money. I do think a lot of wrestlers think they are probably way better legit fighters than they are. We keep hearing about the same old fights that happened decades ago. All big strong guys for sure, but look how sloppy most of the guys looked in the “brawl for it all” boxing angle? They were sure Steve Williams would win based on his reputation, but he looked awful and got kod. He couldn’t even believe it when he woke up. CM Punk fought in front of millions, sum respect to that, but he got $500k and bypassed better fighters. That’s Prize fighting though. Had four years of top level training. Didn’t quit. But his opponent also got fired for not trying to finish it. Showed no natural abilities as a fighter. When was the last time he was in a legit fight before the mma? I’m ranting on both sides of this argument. But both Rousey and Punk who are paid are taking money out of other people’s pockets. Rousey should just come back as a super heel and be the best pro wrestler there is if she really wants to prove a point. “Cheer me, boo me, come to see my trunks”

Comment

You don't get it. She didn't bury the business, she buried herself.

If the fights are fake, that means she is/was fake while there. Which means her whole gimmick (that she's a real fighter) is broken, because she's not shooting.

Ken Shamrock wasn't legit trying to hurt people, but he damn sure convinced you he was. Same with Steve Blackman and definitely Brock Lesnar. That's what you're supposed to do.

Comment

The reason why the fans didn't treat Ronda well was because she wasn't that good. Her moveset was very limited and she couldn't cut a promo to save her life. Maybe instead of just lame punches and a judo throw, you learn to maybe do some basic suplexes and body slams more often and show some respect for the business, then fans wouldn't hate you. But if you suck and can't wrestle, I know it sounds crazy, but wrestling fans tend to boo you and not like you that much. Go figure. Or just go f*** yourself.

Comment

I don't like Rousey but the one thing I do agree with her about is that pro wrestling is "fake fighting."

I don't know why wrestlers get so offended by that. It's the truth.
          And kayfabe was broken a long time ago so it's not like she is exposing the business.

Comment

Ronda continues to be a horrible person.

Comment

im not even sure why anyone from the wwe would be offended by this.. it's true!! it's fake fighting for entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by IceTrayDaGang View Post
                im not even sure why anyone from the wwe would be offended by this.. it's true!! it's fake fighting for entertainment.
                It's semantics really.

In 'rasslin' they don't like the term fake because their injuries are real and their stunts are dangerous. They prefer terms like scripted or choreographed.

That said, Rhonda knows what she is saying and to who she's saying it to.

If She's a heel it's a good way to get her some heat. Maybe she'll come back later and some lady rassler will be upset with her and shoot on her

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  It's semantics really.

In 'rasslin' they don't like the term fake because their injuries are real and their stunts are dangerous. They prefer terms like scripted or choreographed.

That said, Rhonda knows what she is saying and to who she's saying it to.

If She's a heel it's a good way to get her some heat. Maybe she'll come back later and some lady rassler will be upset with her and shoot on her
                  This right here. They don't like the term because it shows a lack of respect for the wrestling business. It's like the mob. If you don't show proper respect, they get pissed off. A person might not be killed, but they might be given a hard time while on the roster. There's wrestlers' court and some are made to not be allowed to change in locker rooms until forgiven. It's a trigger word and if she knows it bothers them, she shouldn't say it.

Just like how she wouldn't or most women don't like the C word. Pretty simple to understand, so really she just doesn't care.

Comment

Wrestling may be "fake" but it is a very tough sport in terms of the conditioning, training and injuries. And it is very tough for someone to break into. There are hundreds of "minor league" wrestling promotions around the country with thousands of athletes who would want a shot in the WWE.

Comment

Working...
                    X