Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miesha Tate didn’t want to ‘insult the division’ by demanding Holly Holm rematch so early into UFC comeback

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miesha Tate didn’t want to ‘insult the division’ by demanding Holly Holm rematch so early into UFC comeback

More than five years have passed since Miesha Tate snatched the women’s bantamweight title away from Holly Holm at UFC 196, and still her last-minute heroics remain an iconic moment in mixed martial arts history. Tate was just 90 seconds away from failing in her championship bid before forcing Holm to sleep with a Hail Mary rear-naked choke in one of the most dramatic come-from-behind finishes ever seen in the UFC octagon.

Tate and Holm never fought each other again, so it was only natural that fans began calling for a rematch a half-decade in the making following Tate’s successful UFC return over Marion Reneau in July. But that rematch will have to wait. For now, Tate’s next assignment is tentatively scheduled to come against veteran contender Ketlen Vieira in the main event of the UFC Fight Night card on Oct. 16. The matchup has yet to be made official, but Tate says it wasn’t an accident that her rematch with Holm was put on the back burner.

“It wasn’t Holly for the reason that I feel like that’s like a golden egg fight,” Tate explained recently on The MMA Hour. “That’s like a fight that we could do at any time, any point, it’ll never die. It’s like Diaz-Conor 3 — it’s like it’s always kind of available and there. So I wanted my next fight to be a proper climb in the rankings. I don’t want to come in and insult the division. I don’t want to come in and say, ‘Oh, I should be fighting a top-1 or top-2 [bantamweight],’ and Holly, she’s ranked No. 2.

“Personally, I wanted the winner of Ketlen Vieira and Sara McMann [at UFC Vegas 35]. But with Sara getting injured and [dropping] out of that, obviously Ketlen is left without [an opponent]. Holly has a fight already, and I think everyone else is either injured, fighting, or just had a baby. So honestly it’s kind of a crazy time in the division right now, but Kelten sounds like a very fine opponent, somebody I haven’t gotten to fight yet, kind of fresh blood in the UFC, and I’m excited for that potential matchup.”

Tate is currently the No. 11-ranked woman bantamweight in the MMA Fighting Global Rankings, while Vieira is sitting inside the division’s top 10 at No. 8.

Nonetheless, Tate remains one of the most popular female names in UFC history and owns a résumé that dwarfs many of her contemporaries. She fought on several of the most successful pay-per-views the UFC has ever put on and carries wins over multiple women who remain contenders in the division’s current era. So considering the dearth of compelling challengers at 135 pounds, it’s not outlandish to think that Tate could be fast-tracked back into the title picture if she defeats Vieira. That’s an idea she has considered.

“Obviously it really heavily depends on the performance, right?” Tate said.

“If you go out there and you get a real great finish over a woman who is a very tough fight, tough to beat, then [maybe a title shot happens]. But if it’s not, if it’s a little bit more competitive [then maybe not]. Either way, I still feel like one more fight probably before [a title shot]. Because I don’t want to waste time, but I’m also not in a rush. Everything will be when it’s meant to be, at the time that it’s meant to be.”

Tate isn’t willing to look past Vieira but she did highlight Aspen Ladd as one potential name who could serve as that bridge opponent to a proper title shot if Oct. 16 goes well.

Same as any other bantamweight, Tate still has her work cut out for her considering that the greatest female fighter of all-time — Amanda Nunes — remains the undisputed queen of the division. Nunes smashed Tate in UFC 200 to end Tate’s title reign, but “Cupcake” has already plotted out a dream scenario back to gold that leads through both Nunes and Holm.

“In my mind, the way that I have this played out, that I really want it to be, is that I win the title and then Holly fights me for the title,” Tate said.

“That would be like my perfect storm, my perfect scenario. But you know what? Either way, before this is all said and done, Holly and I will fight each other. I’m not dodging her. She’s great and everything, I appreciate her, but I think time and place is very important. So right now that’s not the fight we’re looking for, but we’ll get there eventually. Hopefully when I’m the champion she’ll be able to challenge me for the belt.”

Of course she didn't want Holly out of the gate. Holly is a better, more complete fighter than she was when Tate beat her and Tate was coming off a five year layoff and two straight losses.
    Leicesterage Combat Talk Radio likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
      Of course she didn't want Holly out of the gate. Holly is a better, more complete fighter than she was when Tate beat her and Tate was coming off a five year layoff and two straight losses.
      I agree she definitely took the smart path taking tune ups. And she ls right it would be smack in the face to others have worked their ass off, problem is. 135 is all dried up Amanda has spanked them all so they need Tate more for star power in that division.

But hopefully after the next fight she's ready for holly or another contender. I also don't think she could beat Holly again even if their was an immediate rematch years ago. Holly has gotten better even as she really getting up there in age her technique gets better and she's not as easy to take down especially after that fight. I think she sprawls and outpoints her to a UD or late stoppage next time
      Last edited by $Bullsfam$; 09-11-2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by $Bullsfam$ View Post

I agree she definitely took the smart path taking tune ups. And she ls right it would be smack in the face to others have worked their ass off, problem is. 135 is all dried up Amanda has spanked them all so they need Tate more for star power in that division.

But hopefully after the next fight she's ready for holly or another contender. I also don't think she could beat Holly again even if their was an immediate rematch years ago. Holly has gotten better even as she really getting up there in age her technique gets better and she's not as easy to take down especially after that fight. I think she sprawls and outpoints her to a UD or late stoppage next time
        I think Holly is still a top class fighter but I don't think she can beat Nunes. I'd like to see her try to become a world champion in a third sport instead; I fully believe she could be a champion in Glory Kickboxing or Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship.

Also, Holly should be a 2 division UFC champ. She got robbed against Germaine.

Comment

I think Holly is still a top class fighter but I don't think she can beat Nunes. I'd like to see her try to become a world champion in a third sport instead; I fully believe she could be a champion in Glory Kickboxing or Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship.

Also, Holly should be a 2 division UFC champ. She got robbed against Germaine.
          I def see Holly going in that direction when UFC cuts her

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

I def see Holly going in that direction when UFC cuts her
            I don't see them cutting her soon, though. She's on a winning streak and unless they feed her to Nunes again I don't see her losing to anyone right now. And I think she'd have to lose 3 or 4 in a row to get cut. There are rematches with Germaine and Tate out there. That's probably where they'll go with her.

I think she should walk away while she's still winning in UFC. She'll have more value elsewhere if she does.

Comment

I don't see them cutting her soon, though. She's on a winning streak and unless they feed her to Nunes again I don't see her losing to anyone right now. And I think she'd have to lose 3 or 4 in a row to get cut. There are rematches with Germaine and Tate out there. That's probably where they'll go with her.

I think she should walk away while she's still winning in UFC. She'll have more value elsewhere if she does.
              I think she turns 40 next month. They better do something soon. Not too many 40 year old women fighting in the UFC

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

I think she turns 40 next month. They better do something soon. Not too many 40 year old women fighting in the UFC
                Honestly she was already past her prime as an overall athlete by the time she got to UFC. Those wars with Anne Sophie Mathis took a lot out of her.

Comment

Honestly she was already past her prime as an overall athlete by the time she got to UFC. Those wars with Anne Sophie Mathis took a lot out of her.
                  Soon she's going to be at an age where the commissions require more extensive medicals in order to approve for fights.

Comment

Still looking pretty damn good. A bit muscular now though, but still not too bad looking.

Comment

Working...
                    X