Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tito Ortiz interview on Rashad Evans

MMANEWS:

TITO ORTIZ INTERVIEW -- PART ONE

Chris Howie of MMANews.com: This is Chris Howie with MMAnews.com and I’m joined today by “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy”, Tito Ortiz. How are you doing today Tito?

Tito Ortiz: Good my man. How are you?

MMANews.com: I’m not doing too bad at all. I’ve seen this weekend you have an autograph session coming up with Team Punishment out in California at the HB Ultimate Training Center in Huntington Beach this Saturday, 2PM until 5PM.

Tito Ortiz: Yup. Yup, Ultimate Training Center in Huntington Beach. It’s at 19400 Beach Bvld, Huntington Beach CA 92648. We’ll be there from 2 o’ clock until 5:30PM.

MMANews.com: And that’s you and Team Punishment putting that on?

Tito Ortiz: That’s very correct.

MMANews.com: How are things going with the company?

Tito Ortiz: You know my clothing company is doing really really well, I’ve got to thank all the fans who support it. We keep coming out with new items. At least every month to two months we come out with shirts all the time, high quality clothing to make sure your stuff lasts a long time. I'm very excited for all the fans that support it and of course you can go to www.punishment.com to check it out. It's just one of those things that I started out with $500 out of my pocket from a fight purse back in 1999 and now it’s a multi-million dollar company. I’ve pushed it as much as I possibly can from my side of it. My ex-wife actually helps out with the business side of it and does an awesome job with it and it’s just one of those things that, you know, I put a lot of heart into my clothing company. I mean with Punishment, my number one goal is to make it a world-wide known company where it’s in all stores across the United States.

MMANews.com: You are trying to get set up in stores all across the United States?

Tito Ortiz: Yeah, well actually I just started getting in No Fear stores which are located in malls in like Arizona, California, all on the west coast and so forth and we're trying to continue going into other athletic sports stores.

MMANews.com: Alright, that’s good to hear Tito. Great stuff. Now your next fight with Rashad Evans is coming up at UFC 73 in July and there has already been some bad blood between you two. Do you care to comment on any of that?

Tito Ortiz: Yeah, you know it’s welcome to the UFC man. This is a real fight there is nothing fake about this stuff and there is some bad blood between both of us. It’s just one of those things. At the last UFC, what was it 69? I was sitting next to him and I stuck my hand out to wish him good luck in training before the fight and I said “just watch what you say about me though”, and he got up and talked some smack and got in my face trying to make me flinch so I pushed him then security came in between us and got us apart and you know it’s just one of those things that he’s lucky security was there because we would have had UFC 73 at UFC 69. It’s a build man and I know we're both trying to get inside each others head and the Arco Arena in Sacramento is where the beat down will get laid down.

MMANews.com: In reference to the Don Imus comment from last week in which he called the women’s basketball team “nappy headed ho’s”, you said you will make Rashad Evans your “nappy headed ho”. Have you had anything said to you from the UFC about that?

Tito Ortiz: No, not at all. I think this is in totally different terms. What I said was strictly towards Rashad. We get in the octagon and we’re probably one of the most brutal sports alive man. We’re in a very combative sport. I think writing something on the internet is not even close to what were going to do in the octagon. It was a jokingly thing. It made a lot of my friends laugh and a lot of my fans laugh and it was nothing racist at all. The last time I checked I was Mexican and I am the minority. One of my best friends [Quinton] “Rampage” Jackson is African American and the way I look at it - it was a joke. It was a funny joke to me and hopefully Rashad got a little humor out of it himself.

Tito Ortiz battles Rashad Evans at UFC 73 on July 7, 2007 on PPV ...

MMANews.com: Your next fight is with Rashad and after that I believe you have one fight left on your contract. Is this correct?

Tito Ortiz: That is very correct.

MMANews.com: Any ideas on who you would like to fight in your last fight?

Tito Ortiz: Umm, it doesn’t matter. I'd like to fight anybody just so I can get another title shot - [Mauricio] Shogun [Rua], Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, it really doesn’t matter. Anybody in the top five. I just want to get a chance to get my world title back and whoever I have to go through to get that title shot again, I’ll do it. Everytime I step into the octagon I try and make it exciting for the fans to watch and that’s why I do so good with pay-per view buys and ticket sales. People love to watch Tito Ortiz fight and I’m going to keep doing what I do man. I’m going to make it exciting and, you know, I’m going to talk trash and I’m going to back it up when it comes fight time. I never want a boring fight ever and I always try to go out and give my best and 100 percent of my heart.

MMANews.com: With the acquisition of Pride, you would be willing to get in there with some of the fighters from Pride?

Tito Ortiz: I would love to. I’m glad that Zuffa bought Pride because now that just brings fresh meat over. I have no problem fighting in Pride because the UFC will condone everything. Before UFC didn’t want me fighting in Pride because they strictly wanted me fighting in the UFC. Now I can go over and beat all those guys and get the world title there and come back and unify the titles and beat Chuck for his too. There’s a big game plan for me in the end man, and I’m going to be shining at the top when it’s all over.

MMANews.com: Some people will say when you fought Wanderlei Silva the first time he was “green” coming in. How do you feel about a rematch with Wanderlei?

Tito Ortiz: I would love it. I think when Wanderlei and I fought I was a little blue myself. I was into the game about a year and a half. I was a young kid. I was 22-23 years old when I fought him and he was 22, so I think we were both a little young into our game. Now I don’t think the match would last five rounds. I don’t think it would last two rounds. I think I would be able to stop him within the first round just because Wanderlei has been in some tough fights, well he’s been knocked out a few times. Hitting him is like turning off a light switch so that pretty much is how it would probably be.

MMANews.com: Yeah, Wanderlei’s last 2 fights have been knockout losses and...

Tito Ortiz: ...and they were bad KO’s man. When he fought Dan Henderson I think he was out for maybe four-to-five minutes and I don’t think he was even able to stand up after the fight. It’s one of those things, once you get triggered in your brain if you get hit with a good shot it becomes easier and easier to get knocked out. When he got kicked in the head by [Mirko] CroCop I think that really damaged a lot of the nerves in his brain and when he got knocked out by Henderson, he made it even easier. When I fight him and I knock him out people will say he’s already been knocked out so many times it really doesn’t matter. I’m willing to step up and fight anybody. Anybody in the top five Light Heavyweight [rankings] and I just want to continue to dominate.

MMANews.com: Would you ever consider moving up in weight to Heavyweight to fight guys such as CroCop or even a possible rematch with Randy Couture?

Tito Ortiz: With Randy Couture, him being champion, I have to give him nothing but respect he’s an awesome athlete. Me going up in weight I don’t see it happening because when I’m in my best possible shape I’m weighing about 217 pounds at the most, and I make 205. With my body size and my muscle size - 205 is my ideal weight, at that weight in at the best possible shape I can be. Me moving up to Heavyweight would be a lot harder for me because I can’t get over 220 lbs. I think the heaviest I ever weighed was 222 lbs and that was when I was completely out of shape after taking a year off and for me to get heavy is really hard because I don’t carry that much weight. Look at Couture, he weighs like what? 230 lbs ��" 235 lbs and that weight matter is a huge difference in this sport. It really does matter. When you find somebody that is 240 lbs ��" 250 lbs, that weight starts to be an advantage for the fighter the longer the fight goes on.

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Exclusive:-O … -To-PRIDE-
Working...
X