Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend me a book...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recommend 'The World According To Garp' by John Irving. It is absolutely brilliant.

Also good by him are 'The Cider House Rules' and 'A Prayer For Owen Meany'

both excellent, Garp is the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamboboy View Post
      We should go round his gaff and force the lazy **** to write some more.
      What's your favourite Salinger story hoff?
      Weren't there rumours that he wrote under an assumed name? Thomas Pynchon was the one that I heard.

Franny and Zooey probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheHoff'sGhost View Post
        Weren't there rumours that he wrote under an assumed name? Thomas Pynchon was the one that I heard.

Franny and Zooey probably.
        Franny and Zooey is my favourite too, but I only have Catcher In The Rye to compare it too. I haven't read anything else by him.

Comment

• Originally posted by abadger View Post
          Franny and Zooey is my favourite too, but I only have Catcher In The Rye to compare it too. I haven't read anything else by him.
          Franny and Zooey is very good, I like all of the Glass family stories, he really makes them real. I also real like to esme with love and squalor and the last one in nine stories but i can't remember the name.

Comment

Franny and Zooey is very good, I like all of the Glass family stories, he really makes them real. I also real like to esme with love and squalor and the last one in nine stories but i can't remember the name.
            Well, I'm sure I'll get round to reading them all one day. At the moment I'm mostly reading the weirdness that is JG Ballard. The Drowned World, The Drought and The Crystal World are all I've read so far, and I think the best way to describe them is like Graham Greene if he had been on drugs. They all take the world, change something about it (drought, flood, crystallizing(!)) and then just plonk you down with a character there and its never really clear what it all means. Like Graham Greene, its all mostly about the inner lives of the characters, but they are often so passive and blank you wonder what he's trying to say. Very hard to describe, but definitely worth a look.

Comment

• I've read cocaine nights and the empire of the sun by ballard, and a couple of other books by him, but I forget what their titles are. Cocaine nights and empire of the sun I enjoyed a lot, though the others two were sci fi and didn't really grab me as much.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheHoff'sGhost View Post
                I've read cocaine nights and the empire of the sun by ballard, and a couple of other books by him, but I forget what their titles are. Cocaine nights and empire of the sun I enjoyed a lot, though the others two were sci fi and didn't really grab me as much.
                The empire of the sun, weren't that a film?

Might have to check these out, cheers ****s.

Comment

The empire of the sun, weren't that a film?

Might have to check these out, cheers ****s.
                  Yeah, by Spielberg I think, but it was ****. The film, as in most cases when they make an adaptation of a novel, was a complete ****ing let down. The book is much much better.

Comment

• if you like the fantasy genre then try the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, im on book 3 of 10 and its an excellent read

Comment

• I just got done reading "The Monster of Florence" by Doug Preston and Mario Spezi. It's the true story of the unsolved crime of Italy's famous serial killer "the monster of Florence" and details the bizarre investigation of the crimes....

Comment

Working...
                      X