No announcement yet.

My Review of Google IT Support Professional Certificate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prefix_1_title_rich My Review of Google IT Support Professional Certificate

To anyone who cares about IT or changing careers...

It says it takes 6-8 months to complete. It is geared for help desk/entry level jobs, but it is not a guarantee it will land you a job. I did it, although I don't need it because I have more advanced certs plus a degree and a job already. So I just did it to see the contents of it. There is a 7 day free trial. After these 7 days, you will be charged $50 per month while you are enrolled in the course.

It consists of 5 courses, each course is "6 weeks" long, but it's self-paced. So if you can finish everything before 6 weeks, it allows you to. The 6 weeks is just the time period you have to finish it. With quizzes and labs due on certain days (usually a week). After you satisfactorily complete each course, you get a digital certificate showing you completed the course. After you complete all 5 courses, you get a certificate showing you are now Google IT Support certified. You can upload it to your LinkedIn account and stuff. There are even top schools that will give you 12 college credits towards an IT degree for having this cert, i've looked at the schools myself and saw which courses they allow you to waive for having this cert. The cert is equal to taking 4 introductory undergrad college courses in IT. So not bad considering that 4 courses can cost thousands of dollars.

I finished all 5 courses in exactly 10 days. So I did end up paying the $50, but that is all i'm going to pay because I am done with it. I don't see how this will take you 6-8 months. Course 1, if you can count to 10, or can say "ABC", you can complete it over your weekend. Course 2 is a bit more challenging and it definitely goes surprisingly in depth about networking. Course 3 is another breeze course about operating systems (Windows 10 and Linux), you can complete it in a couple of hours. Course 4 was a little more challenging, but more because it was boring. Course 5 was fun because it goes into my favorite which is IT security.

My rating for it is 4.5 out of 5 Stars and the reason why is because I can tell Google/Coursera really did try to teach some fundamentals of IT with this cert. The 0.5 off is only because Course 1 is way too easy. The main thing I liked was actually the Qwiklabs. I felt they were very hands-on and interactive and make you actually "do" things to complete the lab. Working with Remote Desktop Connection, Linux, Command Line Interface, writing essays based on given scenarios you have to come up with solutions for, etc. Before enrolling in it, I didn't think much of it and didn't know how this could be taken seriously but after completing it, yeah, it's a pretty good cert. You will not get hired by the FBI as a Cybersecurity Analyst or anything like that with this cert, but it does teach some fundamentals needed for help desk jobs. It's a new-ish cert, just started in 2018, so it is not well known by employers, so you won't see it as a qualifying cert right now but I think it will pick up some steam as the years go by and more employers evaluate it. This is just getting evaluated by some colleges IT departments and getting approved as a good sub for courses so that's a good look there for Google.

I am now enrolled in Google IT Automation with Python Professional Certificate. I probably will not finish this in 10 days like the above cert but I will complete it eventually. It says it takes 6 months to complete. There are 6 courses, with each course being 6 weeks long. I did course 1 last night, so 5 more to go. I am not too excited about computer programming so I will probably take my time with this one.

Also, you can essentially "test-out" of courses by just taking the quizzes and labs. With the Google IT Support cert, I did that a lot which is why I was able to complete it in 10 days. With this one, I am no Python expert so I probably will actually be going through the course lessons. I only have an intro to Python college course under my belt so all I know is basic stuff.

Comment

Keep at it buddy.

Comment

Enjoyed this read and breakdown

Comment

What kind of money would u be able to earn with a cert like this?

Comment

My company, like many others, began to lag behind in the technological process. But it is very expensive to do it alone, and it is more profitable to use the services of specialized companies that know what they do. I personally used the services of Sphere IT and was pleasantly surprised. They were very helpful and organized my work. And the most important is that they taught me and my company to use new technologies and promised to upgrade and improve my company. I advise everyone to use the latest technology, because this is the future.
            Last edited by Waldenverney; 08-26-2021, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldenverney View Post
              My company, like many others, began to lag behind in the technological process. But it is very expensive to do it alone, and it is more profitable to use the services of specialized companies that know what they do. I personally used the services of Sphere IT and was pleasantly surprised. They were very helpful and organized my work. And the most important is that they taught me and my company to use new technologies and promised to upgrade and improve my company. I advise everyone to use the latest technology, because this is the future.
              the future is now!

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I am now enrolled in Google IT Automation with Python Professional Certificate. I probably will not finish this in 10 days like the above cert but I will complete it eventually. It says it takes 6 months to complete. There are 6 courses, with each course being 6 weeks long. I did course 1 last night, so 5 more to go. I am not too excited about computer programming so I will probably take my time with this one.

Also, you can essentially "test-out" of courses by just taking the quizzes and labs. With the Google IT Support cert, I did that a lot which is why I was able to complete it in 10 days. With this one, I am no Python expert so I probably will actually be going through the course lessons. I only have an intro to Python college course under my belt so all I know is basic stuff.

beautiful mate, was gonna recommend this too.

If you want to get in to Desktop support look into learning and Administrating Active Directory , which will be the bulk of your work

look into Virtualization too, learning PowerShell.

programming makes your life easier. I program in a few languages, python included. It also helps learning more about computers deeper aspects.

Also, big bucks are in cloud computing such as Azure or AWS. Cloud Architects break into the 6 figures range and guess what? Cloud computing is EASY and beautiful. I prefer Azure over AWS and Azure is gaining more of the market.

I work in Cybersecurity and the pay is very good thank god. Top notch.

If you want to break into that i can help you, its becomming easier now than it was 5 or so years ago. Everyone wants to work in Cyber security / pentesting cos it pays a fock load and ur salary increases exponentially as the years go by or if you gain additional certs which increase your value and how much you are worth.

keep at jt bro, you are on the right track. Kill it and beast it, the pay off will be huge.

Dont be afraid of taking an entry level role for 6 months to get your foot in the door and then moving to a mid level role , then senior and then principal.

Ive known principal level consultants move into director positions where they get a share of annual profits because of the amount of value they bring.

good stuff brother
                Last edited by i_am_a_champ; 08-30-2021, 11:05 AM.
                Richie_R likes this.

Comment

Ooooooooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

Also Python is easy the more you do it. Get on Udemy and do a couple of Python development courses. Some are fantastic.

id switch roles to development if it paid as much as what i already do ( The UK here pays less than America for development work ). But dev stuff is a great skill to have. Program all day brother.

your in NYC right ? I know a really dumb bytch who is dumb af but has landed a Python developer role and is earning $100k plus over in Manhattan or somewhere.

The UK doesnt pay that amount for developer roles. Probably because alot of the devs in big London companies are Indian and Tamil, and they accept lower salaries, even though they are worth much more

Comment

Working...
                    X