Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Father of the Year or cold-blooded murderer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father of the Year or cold-blooded murderer?

Lisa Rasmussen was inside the conference room at Prince Law Group on the morning of Monday, April 8 when fellow attorney Joe Houston pulled out a gun and without warning and opened fire.

The terminally ill Houston gunned down prominent Las Vegas attorney Dennis Prince and his wife, Ashley, before turning the gun on himself. The bizarre shooting was the culmination of an "incredibly tense" custody battle with "​​a lot of venom going back and forth," Rasmussen said.

"I recall Joe standing up and pointing across the table with the barrel – the gun. And by that time, and at that moment, I was really clear on what was happening. I'm like, ‘okay, that was a gunshot. That's a gun. He's pointing it,’" Rasmussen said. "I wasn't going to stand around. I peeled back to my left – jumped up."

When the violence stopped, the gravity of the tragedy became apparent. Joe Houston, 77, had murdered Dennis Prince, 57, and his wife Ashley Prince, 30, Rasmussen said. The Princes were locked in a contentious custody battle with Dylan Houston, Ashley’s ex-husband and Joe Houston’s son.

Rasmussen was representing Joe Houston’s wife, Kelly, at the time. The group had gathered at Prince Law Group that fateful morning so Kelly could be deposed in the case.

Rasmussen said Joe Houston displayed no warning signs that morning. She described him as "jovial."

"I was aware that he had a [stage-IV brain] cancer diagnosis, but he did not seem just so, you know, terminally ill," she said. "He was able-bodied, and he had a full head of hair, and he was jovial. He didn't seem sick or even like he didn't feel well. He didn't look pale. He didn't. So he may have had a diagnosis that was problematic. I, of course, have no idea what was going through his mind."

She walked with Joe Houston and his wife up to the conference room where they met several other associates to begin the deposition.

Dennis Prince entered the conference room with his wife, not knowing it would be the last few moments of their lives. Rasmussen said Dennis skipped the usual pleasantries.

"It was immediately odd because there was no prelude. There was no ‘good morning. Does anyone want water? The bathrooms are in the hall,'" she said. "He just looked at the court reporter and said, ‘please swear in the witness,’ which isn't, you know, the best way to put the witness at ease."

Before the questioning began, Rasmussen said, Joe asked Dennis if there was any way they were ever going to be able to resolve any of the issues for the sake of children.

"And Dennis didn't respond. There was no response to that. He just turned to Kelly and started asking her the deposition questions. And not even, like, normally in a depo, there's some prelude, you know, please wait until I finish my question until you start your answer. There was none of that," Rasmussen said. "He just started asking her the substantive questions, which was, you know, probably not the way most people would do it."

Rasmussen said they only got through three questions before Joe Houston pulled out the gun.

"I didn't see anyone get shot," she said. "It's weird because in the process of, like, looking to my left, watching her answer the question, hearing the noise, kind of going to my right, seeing the barrel, seeing him stand up, going back to my left. My whole memory of across the table is nothing. And I don't know if my mind's blocking it out or if they ducked. I just remember seeing nothing across the table."

Full story (I did cut out a fair amount as it was a long article):
    Attorney who witnessed double-murder suicide at Las Vegas law firm recounts 'incomprehensible tragedy' | Fox News

Now I need to present some backstory here. Mr Prince had had an affair with Mr Houston's wife, and she left her husband for Mr Price. She became Mr Price's fifth wife. No abuse was listed in the Houston's divorce decree, though adultery was. They had shared custody of the children. This deposition was in relation to the ex-wife filing for full custody of the children.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this one. Especially so from the guys with kids.

Homeboy died a murderous coward.
    Zaroku Zaroku likes this.

Comment

He was terminally ill and dying. He killed his son's mother, now the kid has no parents. I get his frustration and anger, but this was a selfish act. Not the last example you want to set for your son. He also doesn't seem to have made very intelligent life choices if he was a father of a minor at 77 years old with a 30 year old wife. She was obviously trash, on her fifth husband at 30, but the son is the one who suffers the most from this.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        He was terminally ill and dying. He killed his son's mother, now the kid has no parents. I get his frustration and anger, but this was a selfish act. Not the last example you want to set for your son. He also doesn't seem to have made very intelligent life choices if he was a father of a minor at 77 years old with a 30 year old wife. She was obviously trash, on her fifth husband at 30, but the son is the one who suffers the most from this.
        You got a few facts wrong. It wasn't the child's father (the ex-husband) who did the killing. It was his father, the children's grandfather. So the children still have their father.

And it was Mr Price's 4th (or 5th, depending on the source) wife, not her 5th husband.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post

You got a few facts wrong. It wasn't the child's father (the ex-husband) who did the killing. It was his father, the children's grandfather. So the children still have their father.

And it was Mr Price's 4th (or 5th, depending on the source) wife, not her 5th husband.
          That adds some different context, but he still killed the grandkid's mother. I get it, she's a bad woman, probably would have been worse off for her son over time, but he'll grow up knowing that his grandfather murdered his mom. That's a heavy emotional load to carry around for the rest of his life. Hopefully his father meets a good woman and she's good for him.

Comment

Yikes that's a sticky situation. Pun intended

Comment

Had to be first degree and I’m sure the cops will be looking into the son to see if he helped planned or at least knew this was gonna go down.

Comment

Working...
              X