Artists you feel are overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artists you feel are overrated?

I'll start.
    1. Mariah Carey (not even a great singer, crap songwriter, isn't a good live performer, her success was fraudulent and without Mottola she would never be as successful)

2. Beyonce (similar reasons as to what I said about Mariah Carey)

3. Madonna (Talk about being there at the right and right place with horrible music, awful videos cannot sing, her only talent is to pretend to have sex on music videos or causing controversy)

4. The Beatles (bland, boring, not even as great songwriters as their fanbase makes it out to be)

5. Led Zeppelin (the king of thiefs of the rock and roll era)

6. Dusty Springfield (this is more of a UK thing because I'm aware she's not even that known in America, but this woman's vocals were overrated as hell, her album's haven't aged well at all, just the white privilege as to why she was so successful for soul music really)

7. Janet Jackson (2 good album's in the 80s, sucked after that, not a great dancer, can't sing at all, very unoriginal music videos and jacked her brothers style of music videos)

8. Kurt Cobain (now I get it if you're a GenXer who was born in the late 60s and early 70s (1966-1973ish) and missed out on the first hand experience of the best years of rock and roll from 1964-1974 but Jesus Christ, talk about being over hyped even more after he died at the age of 27??? He wasn't a good songwriter, one of the worst voices in rock music, being ranked too highly as one of the best guitarists? Really??? Over Eddie Van Halen? Brian May? Whatever)

9. Amy Winehouse (cheap 60s rip off material, annoying voice, same treatment she receives like Kurt Cobain just because she died in her 20s)

10. Elvis (nothing original about him, he never really changed anything just like Mariah Carey, Beyonce etc, stole a lot of his ideas, overrated singer)
    Last edited by JCrash123; 02-26-2022, 09:02 AM.
    Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

What is the criteria ?

Vocal ability ?
    Songwriting ?
    Instrument playing ?
    Popularity ?
    Longevity ?
    Net worth ?

As a barometer, who isn't overrated ?

Edit -
    IDGAF about his so called great lyrics, Bob Dylan would be at the top of my list.
    Last edited by BodyBagz; 02-24-2022, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BodyBagz View Post
      What is the criteria ?

Vocal ability ?
      Songwriting ?
      Instrument playing ?
      Popularity ?
      Longevity ?
      Net worth ?

As a barometer, who isn't overrated ?

Edit -
      IDGAF about his so called great lyrics, Bob Dylan would be at the top of my list.
      Just in general overall, list your top picks

Comment

Originally posted by JCrash123 View Post

Just in general overall, list your top picks
        Obviously Dylan.
        His mumbled, hippy routine would not make it in any other era. If a person didn't read his lyrics, they wouldn't know WTF he was saying. He makes my ears hurt a lot.

I'm not sure where Lou Reed is on the great whatever list but he's another one. If I want to be bored to death, I'd hang out in a funeral home and listen to their shlt.

Beyonce*
        Before she became a billionaire, she had actual vocal skills.
        Now she just warbles and shakes her ass with a million dancers behind her. Thing is, though. People go to look at her more than listen to her. As an ''entertainer'', I guess she's legit.

Elvis. I just don't get it. That is a prevailing opinion I have. What I consider 'overrated'' boils down to preference. What I like to listen to. I've heard so many other, lesser known singers burn Elvis to a crisp. He gets credit for being white....

Greatful Dead. How in THE FCK did they get a record company to sign them ?!?!?

Beach Boys. Just dull. Like Dylan, they're supposed to be so brilliant and groundbreaking. Again, not my taste.

Britney Spears. I don't even think she's cute. I don't get all the hub bub with her and Vegas. Apparently, like Bey, she's an entertainer ?!?!? Shew never had vocal talent like Bey once (Beyonce ) did.

Boy Bands. Holy shlt, I guess girls needed something to wank to ? B2M had that 1 song and the collab with Mariah. Again, boy bands had ''entertainment'' value.

Buddy Holly. Give me a fcking break with ''no one did that shlt before him''; bullshlt. Just terrible.

Van Halen. If he's the greatest guitar player ever. Fine. Their songs sucked. Couldn't listen to any of their singers.

These are the ones that come to mind.
        Thing is, I have a bias against these ''performers''. They are not the genre I would listen to.

Comment

Hemingway —the old man and the sea
          Francis Scott Fitzgerald - tender is the night svcks
          Some Prefer Nettles is a 1929 novel by Jun'ichirō

so many frauds like brittny Madonna, etc

Comment

The question should really be what popular artists don’t you like. Overrated is judging what others are supposed to think.
            Pink Floyd is one for me. I can’t stand them and they are huge.
            Michael Jackson, He really didn’t do anything all that great. He was a good dancer ( who cares nothing to do with music ) and made popular videos.

Comment

Originally posted by BodyBagz View Post

Obviously Dylan.
              His mumbled, hippy routine would not make it in any other era. If a person didn't read his lyrics, they wouldn't know WTF he was saying. He makes my ears hurt a lot.

I'm not sure where Lou Reed is on the great whatever list but he's another one. If I want to be bored to death, I'd hang out in a funeral home and listen to their shlt.

Beyonce*
              Before she became a billionaire, she had actual vocal skills.
              Now she just warbles and shakes her ass with a million dancers behind her. Thing is, though. People go to look at her more than listen to her. As an ''entertainer'', I guess she's legit.

Elvis. I just don't get it. That is a prevailing opinion I have. What I consider 'overrated'' boils down to preference. What I like to listen to. I've heard so many other, lesser known singers burn Elvis to a crisp. He gets credit for being white....

Greatful Dead. How in THE FCK did they get a record company to sign them ?!?!?

Beach Boys. Just dull. Like Dylan, they're supposed to be so brilliant and groundbreaking. Again, not my taste.

Britney Spears. I don't even think she's cute. I don't get all the hub bub with her and Vegas. Apparently, like Bey, she's an entertainer ?!?!? Shew never had vocal talent like Bey once (Beyonce ) did.

Boy Bands. Holy shlt, I guess girls needed something to wank to ? B2M had that 1 song and the collab with Mariah. Again, boy bands had ''entertainment'' value.

Buddy Holly. Give me a fcking break with ''no one did that shlt before him''; bullshlt. Just terrible.

Van Halen. If he's the greatest guitar player ever. Fine. Their songs sucked. Couldn't listen to any of their singers.

These are the ones that come to mind.
              Thing is, I have a bias against these ''performers''. They are not the genre I would listen to.
              Feel sorry for you about Dylan. The greatest artist of the Rock era. Dylan did non hippy music for about 56 years out of his 60 year career.

Comment

I seen threads like this before or Youtube videos.

Basically Overrated = I don't like them
                Last edited by STREET CLEANER; 02-24-2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Instead of overrated they are artists and bands that I never got why they were so popular even when I gave them an honest try:

Dylan
                  Naz
                  Rush
                  Winehouse
                  and a few others

I can see the appeal but not my thing

Comment

Madonna, Michael Jackson, Adele, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Little Richard, Jennifer Lopez, Alice Cooper, Neil Young, Hank Williams, Nirvana, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, Cardi B.

I think a band or musician can be overrated and yet somewhat talented. But the praise or recognition they receive reaches far beyond their talents.
                    Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X