No announcement yet.

Third World’ NYC drug store shelves empty amid shoplifting surge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post

There's always an excuse when dealing with a political superfan.
    You’re a superfan of male bottoms!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

Five more Walgreens locations are closing in San Francisco due to shoplifting and liberal laws that allow them to get away with it. I can post videos for days but it won’t matter. To our resident Marxists, it’s all a big nothing.
      I gotta ask, this supposed to be pointed at me?

Point me at one place I suggest properrty crime or shoplifting is 'a big nothing' or indeed say anything that qualifies as 'Marxist'? As I said repeatedly my issue with the OP was mainly just that it falsely asserted that the empty shelves were as a result of shoplifting rather than supply shortages. No more no less. You're attempting to paint a poltical or partisan position on to something that was simply a criticism of the accuracy of the article. Seems like some of you dudes fail to appreciate that the partisan squabbles which seem to occupy so much of your headspace are largely meaningless to most people outside the US.

I wasn't attempting to make some poltical point or anything else (except perhaps to obseve that material hardship is one of the drivers of acqusitive crime, which is hardly a controversial claim) merely pointing out the glaring problem with the article, however if you want to go into it a bit deeper I'm more than willing cos it'd be a worthwhile exercise I reckon... We can have a look at some of the actual figures based on crime repoorting data and data from the various stores and retailers associations and explore round how big and widespread the problem really is, what reporting biases may be involved and what are some of the factors driving the increase and some of the ways in which it could be tackled.

What you reckon then, you game for broadening the discussion a little? I got a load of articles from a wide range of perspectives bookmarked already (including the one you posted immediately above) so it ain't really a big issue if you're willing to put a little time into it.

Or not... if the entire point of the thread was 'blue party bad' and you ain't actually interested in a proper discussion I got plenty of other stuff I could be doing. Your call.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post

I'm in NYC and can't say I am seeing a dramatic situation unfolding. I don't doubt there are shoplifters tho
        Yeah, obviously you got the eyes on the ground whilst I'm a few thousand miles away, so you're gonna know best but from what I'm seeing there's a whole lot of sensationalism going on about both shoplifting and a supply crunch. But such is the nature of the informational market, I guess, sober appraisals don't really get the attention that screaming headlines do.

The picture from from retailers and offical crime stats gives a mixed picture, seems like increase on last year but certainly nothing that dramatic compared to overall trends as some of the news outlets are suggesting and there's reason to believe the retail looby is behind some of the push on these sorts of stories. Certainly whilst shoplifting is clearly a problem there's plenty of reason to doubt things are quite as dire as some of the more colourful news stories would have it, or that it's particularly linked to partisan politics in any meaningful way.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post

I gotta ask, this supposed to be pointed at me?

Point me at one place I suggest properrty crime or shoplifting is 'a big nothing' or indeed say anything that qualifies as 'Marxist'? As I said repeatedly my issue with the OP was mainly just that it falsely asserted that the empty shelves were as a result of shoplifting rather than supply shortages. No more no less. You're attempting to paint a poltical or partisan position on to something that was simply a criticism of the accuracy of the article. Seems like some of you dudes fail to appreciate that the partisan squabbles which seem to occupy so much of your headspace are largely meaningless to most people outside the US.

I wasn't attempting to make some poltical point or anything else (except perhaps to obseve that material hardship is one of the drivers of acqusitive crime, which is hardly a controversial claim) merely pointing out the glaring problem with the article, however if you want to go into it a bit deeper I'm more than willing cos it'd be a worthwhile exercise I reckon... We can have a look at some of the actual figures based on crime repoorting data and data from the various stores and retailers associations and explore round how big and widespread the problem really is, what reporting biases may be involved and what are some of the factors driving the increase and some of the ways in which it could be tackled.

What you reckon then, you game for broadening the discussion a little? I got a load of articles from a wide range of perspectives bookmarked already (including the one you posted immediately above) so it ain't really a big issue if you're willing to put a little time into it.

Or not... if the entire point of the thread was 'blue party bad' and you ain't actually interested in a proper discussion I got plenty of other stuff I could be doing. Your call.
          Do you ever take responsibility for anything?
          You come on here and write paragraphs that might as well be books that way you can spin your replies.

What do you do for a living again?
          GhostofDempsey likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post

You come on here and write paragraphs that might as well be books that way you can spin your replies.

You’re too stupid to actually debate with anyone with more that 3 brain cells.

You frequently post articles that you haven’t even bothered to read.

Comment

I said what I do many times, self employed joiner and groundwork mainly, though I do all kinds of stuff, gardening, general repairs, white goods and electronics, proof reading, whatever, as well as volunteering with a coupla community projects. I'm never gonna be rich but I keep my expenses low and I get by. Right now I'm just recovering from COVID however so I got more time on my hands than usual.

As the rest FOH with 'taking responsibility' what exactly am I supposed to be 'taking responsibility' for? Shoplifting in New York?

What does it got to do with you if I choose to discuss things in a little depth rather than just repeating the same old dumb litanies that some people prefer? You don't want to read it then just don't read it. I think you're an OK dude if misgiuided but I genuinely don't give a fuck whether you appreciate my posts or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakuwaqa View Post

You’re too stupid to actually debate with anyone with more that 3 brain cells.

You frequently post articles that you haven’t even bothered to read.
                I've never seen you post any sources or supporting references. Just snarky insults.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post

I said what I do many times, self employed joiner and groundwork mainly, though I do all kinds of stuff, gardening, general repairs, white goods and electronics, proof reading, whatever, as well as volunteering with a coupla community projects. I'm never gonna be rich but I keep my expenses low and I get by. Right now I'm just recovering from COVID however so I got more time on my hands than usual.

As the rest FOH with 'taking responsibility' what exactly am I supposed to be 'taking responsibility' for? Shoplifting in New York?

What does it got to do with you if I choose to discuss things in a little depth rather than just repeating the same old dumb litanies that some people prefer? You don't want to read it then just don't read it. I think you're an OK dude if misgiuided but I genuinely don't give a fuck whether you appreciate my posts or not.
                  What's there to appreciate? You just talk in circles.
                  There's only one reason I asked what you did for a living and I'm pretty sure you know why.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

I've never seen you post any sources or supporting references. Just snarky insults.
                    None of them do. They wait for us to post a link and then try and discredit the source. I mean, these are the same people who voted for what's going on right now. Go figure.
                    GhostofDempsey likes this.

Comment

What's there to appreciate? You just talk in circles.
                      There's only one reason I asked what you did for a living and I'm pretty sure you know why.
                      Ha ha, well I prefer to think of it as exploring the issues, but yeah, you're correct that I rarely produce definitive conclusions. If I got an aim it's generally to get people to think abit more deeply about the assumptions they hold rather than to convince them of one point of view or another. Ain't my fault that a lot of folk get touchy when their beliefs are questioned, but honestly I see that kinda thing as an opportunity for growth and thought.

FWIW I much prefer it when people actually put the effort in to come back with well researched and supported counter arguments that force me think and change my own positions, and believe it or not I'm re-evaluating my ideas constantly, but I understand that that kinda discussion ain't everyone's idea of a good time. Like I say if it ain't for you then just don't read it.
                      travestyny likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X