No announcement yet.

62% of Americans afraid to share their political view

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62% of Americans afraid to share their political view

A new Cato national survey finds that self‐​censorship is on the rise in the United States. Nearly two-thirds—62%—of Americans say the political climate these days prevents them from saying things they believe because others might find them offensive.

These fears cross partisan lines. Majorities of Democrats (52%), independents (59%) and Republicans (77%) all agree they have political opinions they are afraid to share.

Chart2.jpeg?itok=2FODc9Rh.jpg

https://www.cato.org/survey-reports/poll-62-americans-say-they-have-political-views-theyre-afraid-share

Of course. If you say the wrong thing you could be wiped out.

Comment

Good, now let's get that 38% to stfu.

Publicly speaking about politics, religion, or money is gross.

Comment

Yeah they might end up on someone's ignore list.
        HrNY likes this.

Comment

As you see the cancel culture if you say something that they don't like they go hard on you.

Comment

You cannot even explain yourself... I mean I am a perfect example. I happen to think Biden is a lot worse alternative than Trump. That automatically makes people think "I like Trump." Nothing could be farther from the truth. You then try to explain your thinking, but it does not matter... People are so polarized that you are considered a "trumptard." I personally have no problem with any point of view people have. I am troubled by transgressions that have a material affect on censorship, certain aspects of the Constitution, and transgressions that encourage bullying.

I like to think that my friends here know me well enough via my posting history, that I have substantial reasons for any decision I make about this country. I am sure many of them do, but not all of them.

BostonGuy likes this.

Comment

My dad taught me long ago that if politics or religion get brought up then make sure something just suddenly came up. Gotta go.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                You cannot even explain yourself... I mean I am a perfect example. I happen to think Biden is a lot worse alternative than Trump. That automatically makes people think "I like Trump." Nothing could be farther from the truth. You then try to explain your thinking, but it does not matter... People are so polarized that you are considered a "trumptard." I personally have no problem with any point of view people have. I am troubled by transgressions that have a material affect on censorship, certain aspects of the Constitution, and transgressions that encourage bullying.

I like to think that my friends here know me well enough via my posting history, that I have substantial reasons for any decision I make about this country. I am sure many of them do, but not all of them.
                We have such a good repport I'm sure I'll get a decent enough answer.

Why and how is "but him worse doe" a good reason to back anything? I don't want to be an official supporter of either and so I am not.

Comment

Well, then 68% of Americans are puzzies.

Long Live Donald Trump

And funk Joe Biden........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

We have such a good repport I'm sure I'll get a decent enough answer.

Why and how is "but him worse doe" a good reason to back anything? I don't want to be an official supporter of either and so I am not.
                    Its the way generations of progressives had to vote for ages. I actually am an anarchist and never vote lol because I do not believe our votes ever count... aside from also agreeing with you. I liked aspects of Trump (didn't vote for him) because he was so destructive to the Washington establishment. Trump also actually did things, like remove the troops from areas where we had no business being. Anything that is destructive to the Washington establishment is good for this country IMO within reason.

Trump was narcisistic and wanted to be productive for his ego... and that is the biggest threat to this government that wants to do nothing. Biden has done absolutely nothing for almost 40 years... already Washington is back to doing nothing. Perfect example, Rural homesteading programs were booming, and now with the change in administration? no funding. yet corporate welfare? Merck is thrown a bone.

So I don't endorse Trump as a person, and I would love nothing more if one day a true progressive individual could be more than a functionary in Washington. But letting Washington do nothing, as usual is really horrid to me. People like Pelosi are horrid to me. People like Trump are battering rams that can be thrown against things.

Comment

Working...
                    X