This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
    The only thing with Chelsea is at some point they will want to play 3 orthodox midfielders with all the mids they have.

Rice will replace Kante, potentially you Gallagher in alongside Rice but then what about Billy and Mason.

Chelsea's squad depth is insane which is good because some c.unt gets a serious injury every match
    Seems like it, right? Chelsea plays a 3-4-3 practically every game, so in all likelihood Mount gets played up front on Lukaku's wing with either Havertz or Hudson-Odoi on the other wing. Timo gets dealt at the January transfer window.

Comment

• I don't see the point in signing Rice. He's a good young player but does he really fit Chelsea?

Even for England, he'd probably be better playing 3rd CB (in the middle) than playing in the midfield 2 with Kalvin.

Jorginho is already sitting deep. So what is the point of Rice being another holder sitting back? Kante is a roamer despite all of his defensive actions. Kovacic can do both but is more often than not, coming deep to bring the ball forward. I don't see how Rice fits at that point, seems like we would need more of a Kalvin Phillips type (or Conor Gallagher practically) than someone who holds his position.

Timo isn't bad but he certainly doesn't fit the team as it is. So, to deal him sooner than later doesn't bother me. Not unless we start signing passers like Cesc. Which the rumor mill doesn't seem to be connecting us to.

Comment

• Rice is to replace Jorgi/Kante and being able fill a centre back spot and being a potential leader.

Kante is crocked.

Absolute no brainer. He's a 3 in 1 for Chelsea.

He has value to all teams but his value to Chelsea is pretty massive.
        Last edited by Sparked_26; 11-26-2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          I don't see the point in signing Rice. He's a good young player but does he really fit Chelsea?

Even for England, he'd probably be better playing 3rd CB (in the middle) than playing in the midfield 2 with Kalvin.

Jorginho is already sitting deep. So what is the point of Rice being another holder sitting back? Kante is a roamer despite all of his defensive actions. Kovacic can do both but is more often than not, coming deep to bring the ball forward. I don't see how Rice fits at that point, seems like we would need more of a Kalvin Phillips type (or Conor Gallagher practically) than someone who holds his position.

Timo isn't bad but he certainly doesn't fit the team as it is. So, to deal him sooner than later doesn't bother me. Not unless we start signing passers like Cesc. Which the rumor mill doesn't seem to be connecting us to.
          I don't necessarily think Rice is a good signing, it's just that that's where the rumor mill is running (partly because Rice was a Cobham product). Agree with you on Timo: He's not a bad player, he's got skill.....it's just that his skillset doesn't mesh with his Chelsea teammates. He'd probably be an impact player with another club. Cesc would be an interesting pickup. Did Chelsea have a buyback clause in his transfer from a couple of years ago?

Comment

• Chelsea are that level now where the team is so functional and the system so set and the academy can take all squad positions where you need them to play 15-25 games a season. You see the players they will probably want and see the players that actually should be looking to join Chelsea ideally for their own careers.

A holding midfielder who can replace Jorgi or Kante and fill in as a centre half in Rice and be a big voice to replace someone like Jorgi.

A player who naturally plays on the right wing and can run hard and press hard. Which is Chiesa.

Then if a centre half when Silva leaves and definitely if Rudi goes. Christensen replaces Silva (Christensen would be ******ed to leave Chelsea) then you need a really aggressive defender and maybe a left footer would be better to replace Rudiger. Which seems to be this random Hungarian dude and backed up by Levi Colwill.

And tbh, if Mbappe is available then he should consider Chelsea too. Right age, right club, right time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
              Chelsea are that level now where the team is so functional and the system so set and the academy can take all squad positions where you need them to play 15-25 games a season. You see the players they will probably want and see the players that actually should be looking to join Chelsea ideally for their own careers.

A holding midfielder who can replace Jorgi or Kante and fill in as a centre half in Rice and be a big voice to replace someone like Jorgi.

A player who naturally plays on the right wing and can run hard and press hard. Which is Chiesa.

Then if a centre half when Silva leaves and definitely if Rudi goes. Christensen replaces Silva (Christensen would be ******ed to leave Chelsea) then you need a really aggressive defender and maybe a left footer would be better to replace Rudiger. Which seems to be this random Hungarian dude and backed up by Levi Colwill.

And tbh, if Mbappe is available then he should consider Chelsea too. Right age, right club, right time.
              Problem with Mbappe is Chelsea is already committed to Lukaku probably long-term. How does Mbappe coexist with Lukaku? Mbappe already got butthurt and sulked when PSG brought in Messi. Mbappe doesn't want to share the spotlight at forward.

Comment

• I know Sparked is definitely enthusiastic about Chelsea for the first time since maybe Ancelotti.

The club definitely isn’t moving like that. We’d have to be in a Sir Alex-Man U stage of a golden age to have suddenly everything clicking like that. From results, to players, to manager, and the upper management? No way.

Mbappe is set on Real Madrid.

I would take Soyuncu from Leicester if he is can still play post-injury. He’s 1-to-1 better than Rudiger in my opinion. Rudiger is really good right now because the tactics make him better. If he dared to leave and went to Real or Bayern, I won’t be surprised at all if he goes Vermaelan, Alex Song type. Suddenly disappears. They don’t play 3 atb.

I still don’t see how Rice works. Unless Tuchel is going to switch the formation to a 4231 or some other formation where the 2 mids are generally sitting anyways. Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to replace a roaming, box2box midfielder with a holding midfielder… specially to pair him with another holding midfielder in a 343.

Give me Tielemans before Rice. I feel like buying Rice at this point, with all things constant! would be making another Bakayoko mistake but in the opposite way. Instead of 2 roaming ball hunters, you have two sitting mids who don’t pass like a prime Xabi Alonso or something which results in a 40 yard empty space between defense and attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarshipTrooper View Post

I don't necessarily think Rice is a good signing, it's just that that's where the rumor mill is running (partly because Rice was a Cobham product). Agree with you on Timo: He's not a bad player, he's got skill.....it's just that his skillset doesn't mesh with his Chelsea teammates. He'd probably be an impact player with another club. Cesc would be an interesting pickup. Did Chelsea have a buyback clause in his transfer from a couple of years ago?
                  I don’t think there was a buyback but at this point I think Cesc is on the way out. We probably should have got Thiago Alcantara when he was available. He’s the only player I can think of that is similar.

Maybe Liverpool would do a straight swap for Timo though? I don’t think it is possible but a man can dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

I don’t think there was a buyback but at this point I think Cesc is on the way out. We probably should have got Thiago Alcantara when he was available. He’s the only player I can think of that is similar.

Maybe Liverpool would do a straight swap for Timo though? I don’t think it is possible but a man can dream.
                    You know, I hadn't thought of a Liverpool deal! Thing is, I'm still learning these players. This is literally my first season watching Premier League so I've got a big learning curve. I can't see a lot of things experienced eyes catch routinely. I watched my first football game in June and it went from not being on my radar screen to my favorite sport in two months flat I fell in love with Chelsea this past summer in the lead up to the season opener.

Comment

• In terms of a great passer from deep those guys arent really in vogue at the moment. I think people worry about turning over possession.

The other thing you can do which Chelsea do is break a press with dribbling past the first tackler. Lots of Chelsea players are good at that - Kova, Kante, and RLC. The issue will be when it costs them a goal. Which is will eventually. I think Chelsea under a Tuchel are more inclined to swallow that.

Comment

Working...
                      X