Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XBOX Series X, next generation console talk.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Here's the scoop on consoles; you get the equivalent of a pc that would cost about twice the price. So, a $500 console would roughly equal a $1,000 PC. But, you're limited. You can't choose how you want to run your graphics (which is a big deal) and you can't upgrade components, can't choose energy efficient or low noise parts, etc. That's how it's been for literally decades now.

I've done both at various points in my life. Consoles are great. Games have to comply with certain standards so they just work and you get far fewer issues than with PCs. PCs let you reach new heights in visuals and audio. Being able to use a mouse was a huge advantage for years but some console games are now adapting mouse compatibility.

If you're really into your games and money isn't a big deal, pc gaming is really satisfying. If you play a little after work to blow off steam and aren't super competitive, or don't need the highest graphics possible, get an Xbox.
    Sony and microsoft are promising things like 4k 120 fps, 8k 60 FPS, Ray tracing, and instant loading with the fully next gen NVMe drives.

That sounds like a lot of bullcrap, but they're the ones claiming it.

I have an RTX 2080 and I can't even hit 60 fps on a lot of games in 4k. Rise of the tomb raider, metro exodus, Assassin's creed odyssey, star wars fallen order etc.

A rig as powerful as the ones Sony and microsoft are describing would have to be a multi SLI build, and would probably cost north of 5000 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by ikigai View Post
      Sony and microsoft are promising things like 4k 120 fps, 8k 60 FPS, Ray tracing, and instant loading with the fully next gen NVMe drives.

That sounds like a lot of bullcrap, but they're the ones claiming it.

I have an RTX 2080 and I can't even hit 60 fps on a lot of games in 4k. Rise of the tomb raider, metro exodus, Assassin's creed odyssey, star wars fallen order etc.

A rig as powerful as the ones Sony and microsoft are describing would have to be a multi SLI build, and would probably cost north of 5000 dollars.
      You're right about it sounding like bullshyt. They claimed the One X was going to be able to do 4k and 120fps. They don't tell you it's 120fps at 1080p. Or, that the 4k at 60fps is heavily resolution scaled (meaning it's only 4k in the low intensity moments). They can do ray tracing right now. But it's inefficient without tensor cores dedicated to it. The performance hit with ray tracing is rough and will surely be so in the new systems.

4k gaming isn't very good just yet. Sure, people can do it, but like you said, even a strong system isn't getting a lot of frames on 4k. 2k (1440) is really where the tech is at right now. A good card like a 2080 will get 1440/144fps on most games. Most competitive gamers still run 1080p because it's the only way to get high fps without the annoying 1% lows that cause the stuttering feeling.

Personally, I'm just waiting for a monitor that'll do 1440p at 240fps with low latency. There's still a lot of catching up the technology needs to do.

Comment

I love the PC Master race chiming in, thinking somebody can't afford to buy a "gaming" rig.

Whatever.

Have fun paying $1500 for your 3080ti in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
          I love the PC Master race chiming in, thinking somebody can't afford to buy a "gaming" rig.

Whatever
          WTF... Lol. Not sure how you got that but ok then...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            WTF... Lol. Not sure how you got that but ok then...
            I was being a smartass.

Was actually looking at a 1080ti, intel i7 build not too long ago.

Comment

I was being a smartass.

FFS...
              I was like, "Not another good one lost to the boxing scene psychosis."

I'm pretty curious about the new console. The wife is already asking about it after seeing a Hellblade 2 trailer.

Comment

Im not a gamer but still end up getting the latest consoles.

Im definitely getting the PS5 over any xbox.. why? Cuz it’s made by Japs and simply better.

Imma get the pS5 with some motion sensors and play that sht like WII with my girls

Comment

I was being a smartass.

The 10 series was far above the current gen console performance at the time, and they were relatively affordable. That's why so many people made the switch to pc gaming.

data mining and bitcoin ****ing gouged up the prices of the 10 series and they never went down. This carried over to the rtx cards and they are still pretty ridiculously priced.

If you just want to do 1080p gaming, then all you need is a 1070 ti, unless you want to go over 120fps.

If you want to do 1440p then a 2080 will get the job done.

But if you want 4k, even the 2080 struggles to hit 60 fps on some games like assassin's creed, metro exodus, tomb raider, etc.

That's why when sony and microsoft says their consoles can do 4k 120 fps, and 8k 60 fps, then that's a pretty bold claim since you would need an sli setup with multi 2080 ti's to get equal performance on a pc.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
                    Im not a gamer but still end up getting the latest consoles.

Im definitely getting the PS5 over any xbox.. why? Cuz it’s made by Japs and simply better.

Imma get the pS5 with some motion sensors and play that sht like WII with my girls
                    That's not true. The ps4 constantly overheats and crashes. The xbox one runs as smooth as a baby's hairless nutsack. That's not even mentioning the astronomically superior UI and online infrastructure microsoft provided.

Also the ps4 controller battery is terrible. The xbox controller's batteries last an entire week. They run on double a batteries, but I have regarchable aa batteries so it's not like I have to buy batteries.

Edit: Also the ps4 fan- loud as ****.

Xbox fan- You won't hear a mother****ing thing
                    Last edited by llll; 12-20-2019, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ikigai View Post
                      I'm a pc gamer, but even my high end graphics card struggles at 4k 60 fps on many games.

They're promising things like 8k, 120 fps, ray tracing, integrated solid state drives.

If they can deliver all that in a cheaper compact package plus game streaming, then even pc gamers will have to start looking into getting a next gen console.
                      They claimed 1080p 60 fps for the 360 generation and the vast majority of games were 720p 30 fps. They claimed 4k for the one X and it's upscaled 1440p. It's going to have a Ryzen 2 CPU and a GPU around the performance of a 1070. That's not going to do 4k for the majority of AAA titles if high settings nevermind 8k. Maybe they can get 8k Pacman.

Comment

Working...
                      X