Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hooks to the body question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bodyshot isn't a hook or shouldn't be. Its not a straight, a hook or an uppercut but a combination of all three. It should land more as a straight as if you were stabbing them. Its more a stabbing motion.
    A lot of beginners hit the bag too deep or throw the bodyshot to wide/deep which of course ends up behind the opponent and putting you in an awful position, its how a lot of fighters end up getting cut from headclashes.

There are many ways to throw a hook in the soviet system its more a dip of the shoulder & thrown like a straight uppercut which really incorporates the lat & shoulder muscles but they will throw a more mid bodyshot with the knuckles facing up, palms down. Its good to have variety.

Comment

I was taught to picture you had a knife between your knuckles and were looking to pierce them with it.
      You don't throw it like a hook or throw it as-if to scrape across the body but as-if to pierce straight through. Imagine you're stabbing right through the liver.

It possibly sounds a weird visualisation at first but it helps it click.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

Get low and dig, who wants to be standing tall if nailed by a right hand.

Turn it over and dig up those ribs. Palm up .........Rockin'
        Ouch! That made me cover my ribs

Comment

Man jus the thought of your liver moving

Comment

Originally posted by bngsdad View Post
            Man jus the thought of your liver moving
            You and me both!

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

That must have been some shot
              I love title brand but their aerosport body protector isnt for big punchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post

Ive never used their brand.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                  I was taught to picture you had a knife between your knuckles and were looking to pierce them with it.
                  You don't throw it like a hook or throw it as-if to scrape across the body but as-if to pierce straight through. Imagine you're stabbing right through the liver.

It possibly sounds a weird visualisation at first but it helps it click.
                  Watch a highlight reel of KO liver shots. You will see how wrong you are. There’s a good top 25. Most fighters are orthodox. You have to throw a left hand to land on a opponents liver. So if knockout liver shots were a stabbing motion then they would be jabs to the liver. They’ve happened but are rare. Liver ko shots are almost always hooks thrown thumb facing upwards that wrap behind an opponents elbow. The opposite side of the opponents body ripples because the force landed and went sideways through the body. Opposite of a stabbing motion. Just watch all the highlights, it’s all right there, Russians too. Fighters train for thick abs in the front. That’s why you wrap around and bang the sides. Try and flex your obliques while you’re standing? Will never be as thick or as hard as your abs. I love a good jab and straight to the body, but it’s not that common. Floyd was great at it. But all the footage is there for you to watch. Tell me why they call it a left hook to the liver then? Fighters lean left and wrap liver punches behind the elbow, thumb facing upwards, elbow horizontal. It’s all there on film. I just don’t understand where you’re coming from? Nobody’s told to stab a guy in the liver in boxing. When you have a large round padded glove why would you ever want to pretend that it’s a knife with a sharp pointy tip? They couldn’t deliver force in more opposite ways. They are told to bang a guy to body/liver. That’s a wrap around hook that lands to the side. The sides are weakest on the body. Just watch all the highlights then tell me I’m wrong. Watch the position of the glove when it lands. Thumbs up. Force going going through sideways on the body. Try and throw a 1,2,3,4 bunch combo to the body with stabbing motions. Besides lots of body shots are thrown in close or in a clinch so how would that work? Send me the clips, I’ll watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post

Do the punches come in too hard with that brand?

Comment

Here's a good "hooks to the body" knockout from earlier this week. Gif courtesy of the poster 1hourRun.

[Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]
                      dreamroom likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X