Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are most boxing gyms like this now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are most boxing gyms like this now?

    I am looking to get back into training after like 5 years. Back then I paid $40 a month, came in, warmed up either myself or small group, and then went on with my workout with coach switching between people and sparring 1-2x a week.

    Now every gym in my area has some ridiculous membership structure. Whether it’s prices with limits on classes per month, more advanced packages that include “coaching” and sparring. I even called one gym and the guy told me prices per round of pad work. A lot are over $100 a month. Is this normal?

  • #2
    Originally posted by theGr8test View Post
    I am looking to get back into training after like 5 years. Back then I paid $40 a month, came in, warmed up either myself or small group, and then went on with my workout with coach switching between people and sparring 1-2x a week.

    Now every gym in my area has some ridiculous membership structure. Whether it’s prices with limits on classes per month, more advanced packages that include “coaching” and sparring. I even called one gym and the guy told me prices per round of pad work. A lot are over $100 a month. Is this normal?
    Boxing gyms are kind of the wild west with pricing and structure

    Comment


    • #3
      I had the exact same experience when I moved from Toronto to BC.
      Everything was basically 100 per month for worse coaching. It took me a long time to find a place that I felt was a legit gym. Ended up joining a gym with pro kick boxers who also had pro boxing fights as well as a few amateur fighters in the gym.
      Take your time see if there are any professional boxers in your area and find out where they train.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
        I had the exact same experience when I moved from Toronto to BC.
        Everything was basically 100 per month for worse coaching. It took me a long time to find a place that I felt was a legit gym. Ended up joining a gym with pro kick boxers who also had pro boxing fights as well as a few amateur fighters in the gym.
        Take your time see if there are any professional boxers in your area and find out where they train.
        Yeah I’m not sure what to do.

        Not too many in my area in general. May just have to cough up the $100+ a month.

        There is one gym around 30 mins away cheap and old school but their hours are horrible. Preferably need a gym that opens early in AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by theGr8test View Post
          I am looking to get back into training after like 5 years. Back then I paid $40 a month, came in, warmed up either myself or small group, and then went on with my workout with coach switching between people and sparring 1-2x a week.

          Now every gym in my area has some ridiculous membership structure. Whether it’s prices with limits on classes per month, more advanced packages that include “coaching” and sparring. I even called one gym and the guy told me prices per round of pad work. A lot are over $100 a month. Is this normal?
          yes, same experience

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
            I had the exact same experience when I moved from Toronto to BC.
            Everything was basically 100 per month for worse coaching. It took me a long time to find a place that I felt was a legit gym. Ended up joining a gym with pro kick boxers who also had pro boxing fights as well as a few amateur fighters in the gym.
            Take your time see if there are any professional boxers in your area and find out where they train.
            lmao yeah, toronto is full of clown coaches with **** credentials. I sparred in just about every gym, most of them are soft. We have 1 or 2 good pros in this city. Samuel Vargas being one, I never sparred him though, but I figure he's pretty good he decked Khan.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
              I had the exact same experience when I moved from Toronto to BC.
              Everything was basically 100 per month for worse coaching. It took me a long time to find a place that I felt was a legit gym. Ended up joining a gym with pro kick boxers who also had pro boxing fights as well as a few amateur fighters in the gym.
              Take your time see if there are any professional boxers in your area and find out where they train.
              If you are in the GVA Sugar Ray's Gym was open 24 hours when I talked to the owner like 9 years back. With the scamdemic happenening who knows if they are even still open and what restrictions they would have now. Really kicking myself in the @ss for not joining them then.

              One province over, I have found the boxing gyms here to be expensive, and usually run by guys with much bigger egos than skill sets. Now, my gym is in my unheated garage (brutal in winter) and my boxing coach is a German Shepherd.

              Comment


              • #8
                My only option seems to be an old school gym in the ghetto for $50, in which I want, but terrible hours and 30 mins away or another good gym by me much closer but $125 a month.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It kind of breaks my heart to see the modern style of boxing gyms. I definitely could not have paid 100 I used to pay 20/bucks a month when I started boxing and I think 40 after I turned 18.
                  Plus our gym was open from 4-9pm everyday for open gym. It was a great place to spend a lot of teenage years and keep busy.
                  Boxing is becoming a rich kids sport now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lucky86 View Post
                    It kind of breaks my heart to see the modern style of boxing gyms. I definitely could not have paid 100 I used to pay 20/bucks a month when I started boxing and I think 40 after I turned 18.
                    Plus our gym was open from 4-9pm everyday for open gym. It was a great place to spend a lot of teenage years and keep busy.
                    Boxing is becoming a rich kids sport now.
                    Yeah, you need to head to the wrong side of two for an old school gym with normal rates.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X
                    TOP