Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a chain necessary for an aqua training bag?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a chain necessary for an aqua training bag?

Hi i just ordered a polyform buoy (same as the aqua training bag but for half the cost)
    It's 190lbs once filled with water.

My question is: do i need to buy a chain for it, or can i simply hang it up without it with an anchor, a carabiner, swivel and another carabiner?

Someone told me that without a chain, the bag will not move much and it will hurt my hands/joints a lot more.
    But the bag is 190lbs and aqua bags tend to not move that much as is.
    So is a chain necessary/recommended, or will it not make a difference?

I'm building my own heavy bag stand in the backyard. So if i had to buy 6x6 wooden beams that are anther 3ft higher to accommodate for the chain, the price will go up. Not to mention i'd have to buy the chain too, so it'd be around $80 more.

Thank you for reading.

Ps: The set up without a chain would look something like this:

Originally posted by davesterrrr View Post
    Hi i just ordered a polyform buoy (same as the aqua training bag but for half the cost)

My question is: do i need to buy a chain for it, or can i simply hang it up without it with an anchor, a carabiner, swivel and another carabiner?

Someone told me that without a chain, the bag will not move much and it will hurt my hands/joints a lot more.

I'm building my own heavy bag stand in the backyard. So if i had to buy 6x6 wooden beams that are anther 3ft higher to accommodate for the chain, the price will go up. Not to mention i'd have to buy the chain too, so it'd be around $80 more.

Thank you for reading.

I would agree on using the chain to avoid hand pain.

Comment

Thank you for reading.

I think you have the right idea to chain. I went in that direction for my last two bags.

Comment

I'm trying to do this for $0 since I live in a fishing town and found 3 different shapes/sizes in my dad's backyard.

Is the chain and swivel important for how it responds and moves or would I be fine just using some really strong rope that's rated for metric tons?

It's going to be hung from a rafter in a little outdoor workshop area.

Comment

Thank you for reading.

That set up that you have should be fine, unless you are using a super heavy bag. You may want to curl in those hangers in on your spring though. ........Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 10-30-2020, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            That set up that you have should be fine, unless you are using a super heavy bag. You may want to curl in those hangers in on your spring though. ........Rockin'
            Could you answer my dumb question please? I wanna get moving on this project before I lose my mind, and I need to know if I have to buy any extra stuff to hang it or not.

Ahhh it should be fine. If not I'll get the necessary gear to mount it.
            Last edited by YoungManRumble; 10-30-2020, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManRumble View Post
              Could you answer my dumb question please? I wanna get moving on this project before I lose my mind, and I need to know if I have to buy any extra stuff to hang it or not.

Ahhh it should be fine. If not I'll get the necessary gear to mount it.

You don't want to hang it on a chain, if you wrap it around the wood beam it will start to eat through it.

Not knowing the strength/size of the beam I would say that you would be fine wrapping the strong rope. Just be sure to wrap it around the beam a couple of times. Drilling through the middle of the beam for the chain and swivel could weaken the beam. You want to punch hard enough to knock a house down but not your work shed because of a weakened beam.
              What ever slack you leave in the rope will determine how much swing your bag will have while working it.......Rockin'

Comment

Working...
              X