Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adrien Broner is just SO much better when he's aggressive.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Adrien Broner is just SO much better when he's aggressive.

    People discredit this guy because for whatever reason, he's reverted to a defense-first style even against guys that have no chance of really hurting him.

    Look at the pattern:

    - He was bigger against Vargas (slightly)
    - He was bigger against Mikey
    - He was bigger against Manny
    - He was bigger against Chino
    - He was smaller against Theophane

    See a problem (pun intended) here?

    Broner WRECKED Theophane - and that wasn't washed Theophane. Up to that point Ashley had never been knocked out and went razor close with Danny Swift - the actual aggressive Danny Swift of old - and had a very solid win/loss record.

    That Broner - the one that comes forward while protecting himself and throws vicious body shots - that's the Broner that was always successful. Not the one that stays back tentative trying to shoulder roll or throw jabs at range.

    You say "he'd have gotten knocked out" - I disagree. Broner's chin has been proven solid - Chino's success didn't last past the 6th round, Manny couldn't drop him, Porter couldn't drop him, Emmanuel Taylor couldn't drop him, Granados couldn't drop him, Allakhverdev couldn't drop him.

    If even Manny Pacquiao couldn't do it when Manny was easily able to drop Keef, I don't think Broner would have gotten dropped against Chino if he had fought aggressive from the start. Chino dropped him because he was going backwards defending, but when Broner went to him, Chino had to resort to dirty tactics to get something done.

    So the question.

    What do you think - and set aside your personal feelings about Broner - what do you think about Broner signing up with Sugarhill Steward to regain his aggressive fight style that got him success at 140 before?

  • #2
    Broner would be better if he would stop acting stupid in the ring and just box.

    Part of that is, yes, when he boxes aggressive he is better.

    But he needs to be a professional. His problem is that he isn't professional. He's like a worse Zab judah; a worse Eubanks jr.

    It's not just about his style, it's about his mentality. If he would go in with the singular purpose to win and not worry about being a special snowflake. He'd beat majority of active boxers.

    Stop pot shotting and showboating, and instead dissected guys like his skillset and natural ability allows. He'd be way better.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by revelated View Post
      People discredit this guy because for whatever reason, he's reverted to a defense-first style even against guys that have no chance of really hurting him.

      Look at the pattern:

      - He was bigger against Vargas (slightly)
      - He was bigger against Mikey
      - He was bigger against Manny
      - He was bigger against Chino
      - He was smaller against Theophane

      See a problem (pun intended) here?

      Broner WRECKED Theophane - and that wasn't washed Theophane. Up to that point Ashley had never been knocked out and went razor close with Danny Swift - the actual aggressive Danny Swift of old - and had a very solid win/loss record.

      That Broner - the one that comes forward while protecting himself and throws vicious body shots - that's the Broner that was always successful. Not the one that stays back tentative trying to shoulder roll or throw jabs at range.

      You say "he'd have gotten knocked out" - I disagree. Broner's chin has been proven solid - Chino's success didn't last past the 6th round, Manny couldn't drop him, Porter couldn't drop him, Emmanuel Taylor couldn't drop him, Granados couldn't drop him, Allakhverdev couldn't drop him.

      If even Manny Pacquiao couldn't do it when Manny was easily able to drop Keef, I don't think Broner would have gotten dropped against Chino if he had fought aggressive from the start. Chino dropped him because he was going backwards defending, but when Broner went to him, Chino had to resort to dirty tactics to get something done.

      So the question.

      What do you think - and set aside your personal feelings about Broner - what do you think about Broner signing up with Sugarhill Steward to regain his aggressive fight style that got him success at 140 before?

      Maidana dropped him twice. The 2nd time being was broner standing right in front of him, not going backwards.

      Comment


      • #4
        I loved watching Broner in the lighter weight classes. I think it would be great if somehow he's able to implement a style that maximizes his success at 140 and 147.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          Broner would be better if he would stop acting stupid in the ring and just box.

          Part of that is, yes, when he boxes aggressive he is better.

          But he needs to be a professional. His problem is that he isn't professional. He's like a worse Zab judah; a worse Eubanks jr.

          It's not just about his style, it's about his mentality. If he would go in with the singular purpose to win and not worry about being a special snowflake. He'd beat majority of active boxers.

          Stop pot shotting and showboating, and instead dissected guys like his skillset and natural ability allows. He'd be way better.
          But that's why I think Sugarhill Steward can help (assuming Broner listens). Because what you just put - the part I bolded - is exactly what got Fury dropped against Wilder. But look at the rematch and tell me it wasn't a stark difference in not only mentality, but you started realizing that pretty much any of the guys Wilder fought COULD have done that to him - with the right strategy and training, not just mindset.

          I know Kevin Cunningham keeps pushing Broner to let his hands go, but maybe it's just not a fit as far as trainer/boxer relationship. I heard Broner went back to Mike Stafford, I'm not sure whether that will make a difference though. Fury basically had fought that same way in every fight before he signed up with Steward.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would break it down like this.

            Vargas - Can Crack and Not Mentally Weak.
            Mikey - Can Crack and Not Mentally Weak.
            Manny - Can Crack and Not Mentally Weak.
            Chino - Can Crack and Not Mentally Weak.
            Theophane - Cant Crack and Ify.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
              Maidana dropped him twice. The 2nd time being was broner standing right in front of him, not going backwards.
              But him getting dropped there was an aftermath of the first drop. Because he was still mentally rattled. That's my point. That was the first time he was ever dropped, he was seriously wobbled after that, his corner was yelling at him, etc. He never really recovered from that round. But had he fought smarter to avoid that, it would have been a completely different situation.

              Chino didn't do anything - outside of dirty tactics - that Porter didn't do. Broner took Chino way too lightly and I'm not sure why. It felt like he was still on a high after he took Paulie's girl and belt in Paulie's hometown and got his hair brushed, I don't know. Chino's dissection of Josesito should have had Broner much more tactical than he was.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post
                I would break it down like this.

                Vargas - Can Crack and Not Mentally Weak.
                Mikey - Can Crack and Not Mentally Weak.
                Manny - Can Crack and Not Mentally Weak.
                Chino - Can Crack and Not Mentally Weak.
                Theophane - Cant Crack and Ify.
                Emmanuel Taylor was a strong puncher and a very mentally strong opponent. Broner made easy work of him.

                Same with Khabib. Same with Granados (although Broner struggled there more than Porter did).

                I also don't agree about Jesse Vargas having power. He barely got out against Mikey.

                SO if we're going to say that Vargas has significant power yet couldn't stop or beat Mikey, we need to give Spence full credit for the Mikey win for the same reason.

                And Mikey Garcia can't crack at 147 OR 140, which is where he fought Broner.

                Manny's ability to crack is in question years after the fact when his decision over Keef was razor close and he couldn't stop Algieri (who Spence stopped) or Rios (who feather-fisted fireman Bradley stopped). Also, Manny couldn't stop Vargas.

                Chino failed to knock out a guy who allegedly has a glass jaw in Amir Khan. He got taken the distance and almost stopped by an old Erik Morales. He got shutout against Devon Alexander.

                No...Chino's advantage is when he can hit you with something you don't see coming. If you see it coming, you've nullified his main advantage, and all he has is dirty tactics left. That's why Floyd was able to pull off a connect rate of over 50% against him when nobody else hardly could, but many fans were drawn in by Chino's ineffective aggression and mauling.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by revelated View Post
                  But that's why I think Sugarhill Steward can help (assuming Broner listens). Because what you just put - the part I bolded - is exactly what got Fury dropped against Wilder. But look at the rematch and tell me it wasn't a stark difference in not only mentality, but you started realizing that pretty much any of the guys Wilder fought COULD have done that to him - with the right strategy and training, not just mindset.

                  I know Kevin Cunningham keeps pushing Broner to let his hands go, but maybe it's just not a fit as far as trainer/boxer relationship. I heard Broner went back to Mike Stafford, I'm not sure whether that will make a difference though. Fury basically had fought that same way in every fight before he signed up with Steward.
                  Yeah, for the most part I agree with you but I'm not sure Broner has it in him. It could be Broner just doesn't have that dog in him.

                  Where he's confident like PB-Floyd, that he'll never get put on his shield. Or willing to go out on his shield like JMM or Morales etc.

                  But you know what, I wouldn't mind seeing Broner like that. If somehow SugarHill Steward managed to pull a dog out of Broner. That'd be great boxing matches to be seen on the tail end of his career.

                  Specially if he stays in shape like a real professional boxer. Like we see with Bud, Spence, Canelo, GGG etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Broner hits hard but he gets scared when his opponent can fight. Maidana said Broner hits hard. Broner dropped Porter late in their fight. These are big guys on fight night, and they don't have weak chins. Who else dropped Porter? Spence? Broner's power and speed is there. His heart is not always there though, he also fears opponents who put together some punches. First time I saw this issue was vs Gavin Rees. Yes he dropped him and stopped him. But Rees is 5'4" and he was a small, weak LW but was still tagging Broner and he didn't really know how to react to that.

                    If you fight back, you will beat Broner. Because Broner is an all offensive boxer. He couldn't even get his right hand off on Pacquiao, wasn't even throwing it at all. This was because Pacquiao had him on the defensive and Broner has no defense. He has no clue on what to do when punches are flying towards him. He "copies" Mayweather's defensive stance, but doesn't seem to comprehend the stance and what you do while on the stance. He literally just "acts" out the defensive stance, only. Like an actor who just wants to get it right for the camera.

                    Even Malignaggi fought to a draw vs Broner, IMO. As weak as Malignaggi was, at least he can fight and put punches together.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X
                    TOP