Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBC Heavyweight Mandatory Situation Remains Unclear Even as Povetkin-Whyte II is Set

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• koolkc107
    replied
    Originally posted by JLC View Post
    Damn. I guess I stand corrected. If he wins make him wait then !
    Basically.

And that's assuming the WBC decides the winner of the Povetkin v Whyte rematch gets the mandatory.

They are well within their rights according to their rules to make the winner fight another fighter as another eliminator.

If you don't hear the WBC explicitly call the rematch a final eliminator, you can expect another fight at least.

Also the problem Whyte (and Povetkin) have is that other fighters now have a legit argument for being mandatory or at least participating in a final eliminator.

Daniel Dubois and Filip Hrgovic both hold minor WBC belts.

Usyk, Rivas, Ortiz, Ruiz, Parker, and the two aforementioned minor beltholders were ALL RANKED AHEAD OF POVETKIN prior to Sasha sparking out Whyte.

I could be wrong, but I believe any or all of these men can petition the WBC to be allowed to contend for the mandatory based on that fact.

So, when SulaimŠn says there's "no date or time limitation at this moment for the heavyweight mandatory", that is part of the situation he is referring to.

Leave a comment:

• JLC
    replied
    Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
    No.

Whyte DID NOT "wait 3 years".

He became mandatory in Aug. 2019, after finally doing what he knew he needed to the whole time yet refused to for years.

He fought and won a title eliminator vs Rivas.

THAT fight made him mandatory.

NOTHING he did prior to Aug 2019 made him mandatory for any. WBC beltholder.
    Damn. I guess I stand corrected. If he wins make him wait then !

Leave a comment:

• koolkc107
    replied
    Originally posted by JLC View Post
    Damn cut him some slack. He waited 3 years for his shot. Yes he lost, but if he wins again and becomes mandatory, grant him his shot after Fury Joshua.

I guess you have to take into consideration the rematch clauses and all from the unification as well, though. WBC is the most sought after belt, but man, they are the worst at getting mandatories their shots.
    No.

Whyte DID NOT "wait 3 years".

He became mandatory in Aug. 2019, after finally doing what he knew he needed to the whole time yet refused to for years.

He fought and won a title eliminator vs Rivas.

THAT fight made him mandatory.

NOTHING he did prior to Aug 2019 made him mandatory for any WBC beltholder.
    Last edited by koolkc107; 09-18-2020, 09:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LoadedWraps
    replied
    Originally posted by Zelda View Post
    The new interim champion should fight the final eliminator for the mandatory position. That would give us a competitive fight and the chance to see AJ-Fury/Wilder if that ever happens.

Ideally, that fight would be Whyte/Povetkin vs Ruiz/Ortiz/Dubois to determine final eliminator.
    I like that idea.

Leave a comment:

• Monty Fisto
    replied
    WBC rules are a farce anyway. The WBC awards a new belt to every new champion. Who pays for it? Not the WBC. A champion must bring his belt to every fight or be fined. And then if he loses, his belt will be presented to the new champion. Whose promoter then has to pay for a new belt and the old belt then gets given back to the person who has just lost.

The rules also say a champion should look to defend his belt every 120 days so as to prevent the title being frozen from activity. LOL. Wilder didn't fight three times in a year in 2016, 2017, 2018 or 2019.

To be fair to the WBC they do spell out in black and white that their rankings are essentially worthless by saying:

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, including any communications attributed to the
    WBC, no boxer shall be considered as, or claim any privileges associated with, being a
    mandatory challenger unless (i) the boxer has been officially designated as such by the
    WBC President or the President’s designated representative, and (ii) the WBC Board of
    Governors has voted to authorize or ratify the designation of such boxer as mandatory
    challenger.

Leave a comment:

• JLC
    replied
    Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
    Even if Whyte becomes mandatory again, I donít think itís fair that they reinstate the same timeframe as he had before he lost.

His loss should make him lose the right to that and should be seen as a brand-new mandatory and a new timeframe applies.
    Damn cut him some slack. He waited 3 years for his shot. Yes he lost, but if he wins again and becomes mandatory, grant him his shot after Fury Joshua.

I guess you have to take into consideration the rematch clauses and all from the unification as well, though. WBC is the most sought after belt, but man, they are the worst at getting mandatories their shots.

Leave a comment:

• koolkc107
    replied
    Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post
    The WBC rules state if a fighter defeats a mandatory challenger he gets that spot so thereís a lot of jargon going on . I think basically the WBC is trying to confuse people here ,all he had to say is Fury or Wilder wouldnít have to fight a mandatory for a year and he said that at the end but by their rules Povetkin is the mandatory I posted it weeks ago about inheriting the position where it resets so I donít know why all the twisting of words here .

Never heard of a WBC rule that says that at all.

Here's the link to the website where you can read their rules and regulations.

Tell me what page the rule you claim exists is on.

https://wbcboxing.com/en/wbc/rules/

Leave a comment:

• REDEEMER
    replied
    Originally posted by tokon View Post
    Well, there's a surprise, hearn getting ahead of himself Hahaha
    The WBC rules state if a fighter defeats a mandatory challenger he gets that spot so there’s a lot of jargon going on . I think basically the WBC is trying to confuse people here ,all he had to say is Fury or Wilder wouldn’t have to fight a mandatory for a year and he said that at the end but by their rules Povetkin is the mandatory I posted it weeks ago about inheriting the position where it resets so I don’t know why all the twisting of words here .
    Last edited by REDEEMER; 09-17-2020, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Honest
    replied
    Embarrassing...

The only difference between the whyte hype and the Joshua hype is that the whyte thing has been beaten by a 41 years old gentleman. Joshua managed to get a a victory against a 41 years old gentleman. Otherwise, two bums

Leave a comment:

• tokon
    replied
    Well, there's a surprise, hearn getting ahead of himself Hahaha

Leave a comment:

Working...
X