Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Liam Smith Frustrated With Kell Brook, Eyes Jessie Vargas Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tokon
    replied
    Smith seems to have a good handle on the situation. Brook doesn't want the fight, so just move on with your career.

Leave a comment:

• thack
    replied
    You cant fault Brook for wanting a title but then again he's weak at welter so....I eat my words.

Leave a comment:

• Corelone
    replied
    In my opinion, most UK fighters are more technically sound than Americans. They have better style, not all of them, but enough. They move and jab better, they understand timing. It's the trench warfare, where Burns and Crolla prided themselves that the advantage disappears. Where Fury is gaining traction, it makes sense. Style is good, destroy better.

Leave a comment:

• Ant1979
    replied
    Originally posted by Doubledagger View Post
    Stop lying. Brook was the one who turned down the Vargas unification fight because he wanted more money, not the other way around. He turned it down even though Vargas was willing to come to Brittain for him.

As for jumping up two weight classes, it wasn't frustration because nobody wanted to fight him, Spence was already his mandatory, in fact Spence even repeatedly told Brook to cancel the GGG fight and fight him instead.

Brook called out GGG literally the following day after Canelo vs Khan was announced.

He fought GGG because of his one sided obsession with Amir Khan. He was trying to one up Amir Khan by fighting GGG.
    You're wrong, Brook and Matchroom offered a deal to Vargas, not the other way round, Vargas priced himself out, simple as. Vargas had no way of making that kind of money elsewhere. Vargas style is tailor made for a prime Brook, hence pricing himself out.

True Brook wouldn't take less than Vargas which is why the deal fell through. But why should he when it's his promotion and PPV in the UK generating all the revenue? What did Vargas bring to the table apart from a belt to be demanding more?

Leave a comment:

• ralex
    replied
    Vargas vs Liam is a solid fight

Leave a comment:

• RGJTMMRDCMJRJSM
    replied
    You gotta give respect to Vargas name.

On paper, only lost to Bradley, Pacquiao, and Mikey (to this day i swear that Mikey fight was a win for Jesse; round 1-4, 9, 11, 12!))

Would like to see Jesse again
    Last edited by RGJTMMRDCMJRJSM; 04-22-2020, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Doubledagger
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant1979 View Post
    After the Porter fight nobody wanted to fight Brook. He was in the 'who needs him' club. Cotto, Garcia, Thurman, Khan, Vargas all turned down lucrative offers. Folk forget that. That's why he ended up getting frustrated and jumping 2 divisions to fight a prime GGG as the low level of mando's were doing nothing for him.

Then he made the crazy mistake of boiling back down to 147 after turning pro at that weight to fight Spence. I had him up at the half way point but clearly gassed due to the weight and Spence to his credit came on strong and forced the stoppage via another broken eye socket.

But as for challenges, Vargas has never jumped up 2 divisions to fight a monster and then boil back down 2 divisions to fight another.
    Stop lying. Brook was the one who turned down the Vargas unification fight because he wanted more money, not the other way around. He turned it down even though Vargas was willing to come to Brittain for him.

As for jumping up two weight classes, it wasn't frustration because nobody wanted to fight him, Spence was already his mandatory, in fact Spence even repeatedly told Brook to cancel the GGG fight and fight him instead.

Brook called out GGG literally the following day after Canelo vs Khan was announced.

He fought GGG because of his one sided obsession with Amir Khan. He was trying to one up Amir Khan by fighting GGG.

Leave a comment:

• Ant1979
    replied
    Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
    I see that you are re-writing history there. Every time Brook had anything in the talks he got hurt like he always do. They were looking for more for a big money fight than actually fighting top contenders in his weight. I never heard of any talks to non of those guys you mentioned but Khan.

****, he even had a fight lined up against Chaves and it never happened. They would mentioned a big name and fought a lower tier guy. He would be hurt so much that they would talk about matching him up against a top name but then had to clear his mandos.
    To be fair, I know that because I'm a fan from UK and I see you're based in the US and Eddie Hearn and UK Matchroom get a lot of exposure through UK Sky TV.

With the backing of Matchroom and fighting out of big arenas/stadiums plus UK PPV, money isn't really a problem for Kell, he's not a greedy fighter. He just wanted the best names while on his prime. While beating Porter away from home is a solid win it's still a shame he wasn't able to get the unifications.

I remember Garcia complaining about UK tax but it would have been his biggest payday. The fact he fought Porter away, GGG and stupidly boiling back down to 147 for Spence shows he's not risk averse.

Leave a comment:

• Quicksilver*
    replied
    What a joke. No way anybody wants that.

Leave a comment:

• Oldskoolg
    replied
    Vargas is the poster boy for overpaying mediocre fighters. But hey, if slaveroom and deadzone want to pay him millions to keep losing brain cells in hopes of getting Mexican American subscriptions then more power to him. Far be it for him to remove a fool of his money....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X