Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys I’m so bored, did mike Tyson ever beat an ATG in their prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LacedUp
    replied
    Originally posted by Nash out View Post
    No. He had some decent wins. I'll compare his best wins to current fighters ability wise.

Tony Tucker - Gerald Washington
    Old Larry Holmes - Kevin Johnson (prime version)
    Tony Tubbs - Eric Molina
    Michael Spinks - Jesse Hart
    Frank Bruno - David Price
    Alex Stewart - Lucas Browne
    Razor Ruddock - Joey Abell
    lol at these comparisons.

none of the guys on the right would beat anyone from the left.

Leave a comment:

• Chollo Vista
    replied
    Originally posted by Slicedbread View Post
    Lol..

Buster Douglas disagrees.
    That's not fair. That same logic can be applied to Wlad, Lewis, Hagler, Hopkins, Sugar Ray Robinson, etc.

They all took losses against no hopers.
    Last edited by Chollo Vista; 03-27-2020, 09:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Marchegiano
    replied
    We tend to call rivals great and no one could rival Mike when he was on top.

Trevor Berbick, James Smith, Pinklon Thomas, Tony Tucker, Larry Holmes, Tony Tubbs, Michael Spinks, and Frank Bruno are great names. Had anyone of them reigned for any considerable period they'd be called great today. No resume needed. No threat to beat to prove their greatness, just time in position. Like Wlad.

It's all well and fine today to say "but Evander though" But the thing is Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis waited to make moves in the division. They were not even big names when Mike was really Mike.

Punch Out came out in 87. You know, when Evander was a CW and five years before Lennox would fight for any world title because he hadn't even debuted.

What makes Lennox a great one? What makes Evander a great one? Cause they beat up old Foreman and Rahman? Not hardly. Evander beat up Mike Tyson a decade after Punch Out. A decade after Mike's been proven and with Mike coming off a loss. Evander, all of a sudden, went from okay, to great.

Lennox didn't even fight him until 02 ffs. Expecting a real Mike in 02 is just dumb. It's a good job he has Vitali really. Otherwise his former champion's list would be kinda like Mike's. Bunch of second tier names and an old champion who was dominate over a decade ago.

Outside of Mike, compare Tyson's resume to Evander and Lennox's. Your Tuckers and your Dokeses. Basically the same **** because Pinklon and Tubbs and **** were the men you beat to be champion. Old Foreman, born in 49...old Holmes...born in 49...get me? They basically mirror one another.

Lennox's path to the title is Mike Tyson leftovers.

Evander's is pretty much too.

Because like it or not Mike Tyson absolutely dominated a group of men for five years straight. Lennox and Evander both rode his coattails and capitalized off his greatness to become greater.

86-92 is all Mike.

92-99 Evander

99-03 Lewis

Mike didn't have the luxury of allowing anyone else to look great prior to him....he had no Mike Tyson to prime the audience for the oncoming career he was planning. Evander and Lennox did.

Leave a comment:

• Slicedbread
    replied
    Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
    Maybe you can say Spinks, but prime Mike was the ATG
    Lol..

Buster Douglas disagrees.

Tyson is probably the most overrated boxer. But for good reason. His style was so fun to watch and the manner of him destroying guys placed nostalgia blinds over his actual accomplishments

Leave a comment:

• Lomadeaux
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Giggles View Post
    I’ve having a look at his record cause I’m bored af in lockdown and did he ever beat any ATG that were in their primes, cause looking at it he lost in the big time fights.
    If he did or not, he was the youngest heavyweight champion ever, and did more in his life than most could ever dream.

How's that?

Leave a comment:

• Zelda
    replied
    Mike's "prime" was literary the time there was no decent competition. The older generation was on a decline and the younger one hadn't arrived. As soon as the competition came, Mike's "prime" ended.

I find it weird when people say Mike's prime ended in 1989. How can your "prime" end at the age of 23? If it did, then you simply shouldn't even call it a prime. Simply call it an opportunistic window when the competition was low and you shined.

Leave a comment:

• Longhaul
    replied
    Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
    - -U hauling a load of dumb around again?

Holmesy built his own gym on his estate and had been publicly training specifically for Tyson for over a year, dogging him at his every fight with insultive remarks all captured in the fight video of this era.

Far Lar proved there ain't no fool like an ol' fool and was literally crucified on the deck as Mike dissected him to perfection.
    Holmes prime was 78-83 with the spoon fight starting his decline.To go by your idiotic logic that Holmes was in his prime coming off 2.5 years lay off and Two loses means Tyson nut huggers like yourself would have to say Tyson was in his prime for most of his losses.Instead all You here is mikes prime ended in 89 .

Leave a comment:

• QueensburyRules
    replied
    Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
    Holmes was coming off two loses out of the ring For almost three years and took the fight on short notice .If that’s the definition of being in your prime then we have to judge Tyson in the same way.
    - -U hauling a load of dumb around again?

Holmesy built his own gym on his estate and had been publicly training specifically for Tyson for over a year, dogging him at his every fight with insultive remarks all captured in the fight video of this era.

Far Lar proved there ain't no fool like an ol' fool and was literally crucified on the deck as Mike dissected him to perfection.

Leave a comment:

• Nash out
    replied
    Originally posted by NORMNEALON View Post
    I agree with your whole post except the last part . Those comparisons are not aligned imho . Not even close imo
    I was exaggerating a bit for effect. I will say though, I think that Tyson at any stage of his career loses to Lewis, Holyfield and an in shape Bowe at any stage. I also think Douglas beats him 7/10 times. Bad style match up, and let's be honest, Douglas is only a B minus level guy and he showed Mike's limitations getting inside a good/not great, jab. I know Razor Ruddock would smoke Joey Abell.
    Last edited by Nash out; 03-27-2020, 05:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HewJohnson
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Giggles View Post
    Interesting. So why is mike Tyson considered one of the greatest ever if not the greatest ever if he hasn’t beat any ATG prime fighters???
    Because you can practically make that same argument for/against any boxer...

How many fighters did Floyd beat in their prime, other than Conor? Not many.
    Doesn’t take away TOO much from his legacy.

It’s that grey area where you really have to use sound judgment, and understand boxing.

Tyson was the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP at twenty years old...that’s nuckin futs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X