Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gary Russell Jr willing to walk away from Al Haymon & sign with Top Rank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem seems here that GRJ wants a too much money for fighting once a year against bums and he has zero momentum and no fans. Al should release him

Comment

Originally posted by R_Walken View Post
      I may be wrong but I’ve heard it from various media/ personalities covering the sport through the years that It’s Russel that prefers fighting once a year

Seems sense though that that this is GRJ choice , Some PBC Guys Fight infrequently for stretches of time but for the most part their established Champions/ Names avg 2 fights a year, Why would GRJ be any different? He’s had a strap 4-5 years and in that whole time only fights once a year always in April or May

if he wanted To Fight More He’d Have at least a year or 2 in the last 5 where he fought 2x. Why would every fighter get on avg 2 fights except GRJ if not by choice
      The evidence does NOT support your theory or the rumours. The evidence supports the boxers NOT PBC, There are plenty of fighters who have the same activity levels as GRJ in PBC.

So it cannot be the boxers, it has to be the promotional outfit, how do you explain Breazeale having only three fights since he lost to Joshua in mid-2016 and Whyte having nine fights in within the same time frame Or Andy Ruiz having seven fights in that same time frame?

How do we explain Broner, Spence, Danny Garcia, Charlo etc having an average of 1 or 2 fights per year between them over the last 3 years?

There is an activity issue with PBC, and this has been glaring for a while now, some boxers actually want to get in the ring, fight, get paid and showcase their talent...Oppose to sitting on the shelf and getting paid minimum cheque and then singing "All praise Haymon" on social media.

So am praising GRJ for wanting to fight more often, he would obviously be destroyed for speaking out as evident by your original post about him. But for a talented boxer like him, he has turned into a right ol joke with his non-activity and TBA/TBC opponents....Maybe that's why he is speaking out and good for him.

Comment

No US fighter worth anything is signing with Dazn because it’s kills their marketability.

These guy want to be on Fox and ESPN.

Dazn has no eyeballs on it and kills their sponsor rates.

Less eyeballs = less $$$

Comment

Can't blame him.

If you're protecting a fighter from me and we're under the same banner you're basically preventing me from being paid. So he's benefiting one fighter and being a detriment to another. Pretty sure I remember saying if Spence didn't get the Spence or Thurman fights he should demand a release or demand a higher pay.

Comment

Is Haymon really the problem? Or does this guy not want to fight. I mean he has fought just once a year for like half a decade. And when you hear him talk he doesn't even sound like he likes boxing or has any passion for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
              The evidence does NOT support your theory or the rumours. The evidence supports the boxers NOT PBC, There are plenty of fighters who have the same activity levels as GRJ in PBC.

So it cannot be the boxers, it has to be the promotional outfit, how do you explain Breazeale having only three fights since he lost to Joshua in mid-2016 and Whyte having nine fights in within the same time frame Or Andy Ruiz having seven fights in that same time frame?

How do we explain Broner, Spence, Danny Garcia, Charlo etc having an average of 1 or 2 fights per year between them over the last 3 years?

There is an activity issue with PBC, and this has been glaring for a while now, some boxers actually want to get in the ring, fight, get paid and showcase their talent...Oppose to sitting on the shelf and getting paid minimum cheque and then singing "All praise Haymon" on social media.

So am praising GRJ for wanting to fight more often, he would obviously be destroyed for speaking out as evident by your original post about him. But for a talented boxer like him, he has turned into a right ol joke with his non-activity and TBA/TBC opponents....Maybe that's why he is speaking out and good for him.
              You sound stupid and just looking to argue for the sake of arguing without any facts and basically no truth to everything you wrote

Since Russel won his strap in March 2015 in 4 + years he’s fought 4’times. The last 3 being on the same May weekend

Now let’s looks at some other champion A-side Main/Co-Main fighters on the PBC roster and how many fights they’ve had since Gary won his strap / A year or 2 isn’t really a large sample size but 4 years should be

Breazeale 7
              Wilder 8
              Danny Garcia 7
              LSC 7
              Mares 4 ( injuries)
              Peterson4
              Porter 6
              Mikey Garcia 6
              Spence 8
              Charlo6 & 7
              Hurd 9
              Lara6
              Tank Davis 9
              John Molina 5
              Broner7
              Badou 7
              M Browne 7
              Thurman 4 has 5th in July been injured 2 years
              Omar Fig -3
              Berto 4

So barring injury out of that list 3 (15%)who have fought as seldom as Gary , None if them held straps during that time with the reason for Omar because he seemed he wanted to retire after the Demarco fight and Lamont being used as More of a B- side the last couple years .

Gary would be destroyed if he spoke out. You sure buds because it seems to me that Durrell , Vanes , Matthysse all left with no issue being made or being held up in court and Dirrell went back & Vanes wishes he could go back

Do the guys that don’t have clout or aren’t a priority fight less often probablyn but they are almost all just used as B side opponets and arent the Headliners / Co-headliner when they fight

There’s no other entity in the sport that would give Gary big cheques & continued Main Event Exposure fighting as infrequently and always against low level competition

Gary should be on his knees thanking Haymon for still supporting him with what he’s done with his career while holding a strap

But continue on with your argument

Comment

GRJ coming across as a bit of a ungrateful little f.ucker

There is no one else in the sport except Haymon that would put up Russell’s reluctance to fight more one once a year against almost exclusively against lower level fighters while still willing To give him good to great paydays and exposure.

Good luck if he can but what GRJ needs to do is fight Santa Cruz or anyone with a pulse at 126 instead of bumping his gums about getting better paydays he won’t get from anyone else
                End of the day, he wants that big fight with LSC period. It should and needs to happen. If he doesn't get it, then he has options elsewhere. GRJ is hypocrite in some of the things he says, but he has a valid case here of being upset with his team if they can't get him a in house unification bout vs LSC. Like there are no excuses for that not to happen.

LIS on Saturday, his next fight better be against LSC/Davis/Farmer...This was when there were rumors he may leave to DAZN. If he goes to ESPN, then Valdez/Warrington/Berchelt. I'll be okay if he fights Mares/Frampton, but he should be aiming higher than that.

Comment

I may be wrong but I’ve heard it from various media/ personalities covering the sport through the years that It’s Russel that prefers fighting once a year
                  I too have heard variations on this, based on Gary being somewhat injury prone. When I brought it up with someone loosely acquainted with him they reacted with genuine surprise.
                  This has been followed by the man himself speaking out.

Make of it what you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    Who outside of PBC is currently on a better deal than Gary Russell Jr is right now, especially at 126/130lbs, lol.

Gary Russell Jr likely made $2m+ on the JoJo Diaz fight (Rafael is saying that he made $1.4m plus a piece of the gate); no info yet on what he got to fight Kiko Martinez under Wilder-Breazeale.

Is Top Rank paying $2.5m+ per fight to GRJ? I doubt it.
                    he didn’t likely make m+ plus lol. Again you are making up and indenting numbers. He may have made a hundred grand off the gate. Stop just making numbers up.

Lomachenko just makes 3.2 million for Crolla. I’m sure if they want to they can pay Russell over 2 mil a fight.

Pbc has 3 good fights for GRJ. LSC Mares and Tank. LSC and Mares have been good fights for 4 years lol and Haymon hasn’t made them.

GRJ is the one letting it be known he is ready to leave if he gets a good offer. What does that tell you? He’s obviously not happy.

This is his way of pushing back at Haymon saying make the LSC fight or Im gone.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      yes hes making more than he used to but hes still making far less than he would have if he didnt duck joshua so i dont really understand his plan. not sure what haymons plan is either since guys that fight on regular showtime dont normally make 10 million a fight so wilder is playing haymon and haymon is playing showtime whose numbers have been horrible lately. im sure they are happy with all this
                      wilder made like 17 million for Breazeale. Haymon has to pay almost 10 million out of his own pocket to keep from DAZN and pay they purse. He lost a lot of money on that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X