Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cotto Recalls KO Win Over Ricardo Torres Put Him "On the Map"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Cotto Recalls KO Win Over Ricardo Torres Put Him "On the Map"

Miguel Cotto contends that there isn't a fight among the 46 in which he has competed professionally that is his favorite. The four-division champion wouldn't even acknowledge that he took great satisfaction from beating up and stopping Antonio Margarito in their grudge rematch nearly six years ago at Madison Square Garden. When pressed during a recent conference call, though, Puerto Rico's Cotto called his victory over Ricardo Torres the fight put him "on the map."
    [Click Here To Read More]

Yeah, Cotto's been through enough wars to have some memory problems. He was HBO's favorite prospect at this point and already being talked about as a potential Hatton/Mayweather opponent before the Torres fight. It was an incredible fight, though, that's for sure.

Comment

I remember that fight like it was yesterday. They showed it live to us in the UK because he was a potential Hatton rival etc, but both fighters were up and down like a bambi.

Comment

I wasn't impressed by this fight or Cotto at that time. I thought Torres let him off the hook when he hurt him. Same thing with Corley a few fights later. I've warmed up to Cotto over the years but it seemed like HBO was hyping him up big time back then.

Comment

That was one good action fight.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
            I wasn't impressed by this fight or Cotto at that time. I thought Torres let him off the hook when he hurt him. Same thing with Corley a few fights later. I've warmed up to Cotto over the years but it seemed like HBO was hyping him up big time back then.
            I don't know how Torres let him off the hook. He tried like hell twice until Cotto was able to recover and land a few shots of his own. Plus the body work he was putting in was slowing him down.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
              I remember that fight like it was yesterday. They showed it live to us in the UK because he was a potential Hatton rival etc, but both fighters were up and down like a bambi.
              Off the top of my head, and without going to YouTube, don't I remember a serious head clash in that fight during a wild exchange that did the real damage to Torres???

Comment

I remember watching this fight & combined with what happened to cotto in the Corley fight, o felt it was only a matter of time before he got kod due to a suspect chin. He actually turned out to be very durable & his only two stoppage losses were in situations where I don't feel he was on a fair & level playing field with those 2 opponents.

Comment

That fight was a war back and forth action Torres conditioning let him down when Cotto started going to Torres body he took control of the fight chopped him down.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
                    I don't know how Torres let him off the hook. He tried like hell twice until Cotto was able to recover and land a few shots of his own. Plus the body work he was putting in was slowing him down.
                    From what I remember it seem like whenever Torres landed anything hard and hurt Cotto he started missing shots. Yeah he seemed like he was trying hard but not landing anything significant after he hurt him. It was a long time but I remember thinking he let him off the hook. Like I said, I saw the same thing when Corley hurt him. He never rushed in to try and finish him. It was just odd to see it twice against the same fighter.

Comment

Working...
                    X