Floyd straight up ducked Cotto in 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd straight up ducked Cotto in 2008

Even Uncle Roger knew that Floyd was lined up to fight the Mosley vs Cotto winner:

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=135690

And I quote "Mayweather knows the next opponent for Floyd will probably come out of the Nov. 10 battle between WBA welterweight champ Miguel Cotto and former three division title-holder "Sugar" Shane Mosley."

It was even more evident in this interview after the Cotto vs Mosley fight, Nov 10th, 2007:

@1:38, Cotto says "Mayweather, Hatton, Margarito, De La Hoya, Whoever they put in front of me, I'll fight".

[Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]

Floyd also said Cotto lives too far and isn't a PPV star.

I think it's quite clear Floyd ducked this fight by retiring for almost 2 years right after.

Here's the Welterweight rankings at the end of 2007:

Floyd Mayweather Jr., Champion
    Miguel Cotto
    Paul Williams
    Shane Mosley
    Antonio Margarito
    Zab Judah
    Kermit Cintron
    Luis Collazo
    Joshua Clottey
    Jackson Osei Bonsu
    Oktay Urkal

In 2008, here were The Ring's top 10 Welterweights:

Antonio Margarito
    Miguel Cotto
    Shane Mosley
    Joshua Clottey
    Manny Pacquiao
    Carlos Quintana
    Zab Judah
    Luis Collazo
    Andre Berto
    Isaac Hlatshwayo

Tell me why instead of fighting Cotto, Williams, Margarito, Floyd fought, Junior Welterweight, Ricky Hatton and retired right after?

When presented with Cotto, why did Floyd say "I won't let the sport of boxing retire me, I'll retire before that happens"?

Why did Floyd say this only to continue to fight for another 10 years to this day?

I think so too, but don't forget that Cotto ducked him prior to this.

Comment

Floyd was not fighting anyone with TopRank..how hard is that to understand?? soon as Cotto left look how quick the fight was made

Comment

Never thought I'd said this but... GREAT POST Chollo.

Comment

I mean hell look how long it took to make the damn Pacquiao fight dealing with Arum

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
            Floyd was not fighting anyone with TopRank..how hard is that to understand?? soon as Cotto "got stopped twice" how quick the fight was made
            *Corrected

Comment

Floyd was not fighting anyone with TopRank..how hard is that to understand?? soon as Cotto left look how quick the fight was made
              I mean hell look how long it took to make the damn Pacquiao fight dealing with Arum
              Is that why Floyd said "Cotto lives too far, Cotto isn't a PPV star, I don't want to call out no Welterwights. I will retire from the sport of boxing before it retires me".

It was because of Bob Arum. Arum made Floyd say this right?

Comment

the OP HATES BLACK PEOPLE!

Comment

"bob arum still owes me money from the zab judah fight and the arturo gatti fight. millions."- floyd

and i remember top rank not wanting cotto to fight floyd at one point

Comment

Mayweather planned to have some time off straight after the DLH fight. Hatton called him out and talked **** so Mayweather squeezed that in before his break.

No matter who he fought there always someone else on the conveyor belt. If he fought Cotto and took a break they'd say he ducked Hatton instead.

Comment

Working...
                    X