Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sosa Makes Weight Upon Return; Lomachenko Fight for the Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sosa Makes Weight Upon Return; Lomachenko Fight for the Title

Jason Sosa will get an opportunity Saturday night to win another 130-pound title after all. Sosa returned to the Maryland commission's scale Friday night less than an hour after missing weight and made the 130-pound limit for his fight against Vasyl Lomachenko. The 29-year-old Sosa weighed exactly 130 pounds on what was his third attempt on the scale.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Weight issues seem to be common place in boxing today. I didn't grow up in the same day weigh-in era. I think they went to day before weigh-ins to aid fighter safety. But I'm wondering whether its having a reverse affect. How many of these guys are fighting a division or even two divisions lower than what they would be physically able to if they were forced weigh-in the morning of the fight? The next big event upcoming on the boxing calendar is Canelo-Chavez Jr. Canelo at best is probably a natural middleweight. I suspect in a same day weigh-in scenario. Canelo may even be forced to campaign at super middleweight. Yet he's fought his entire career as a jr middleweight. Jr is even worse. He's a natural light heavyweight that would bleed all the way down to 160. Then enter the ring as a cruiserweight. The reality is, if this fight were taking place in the era of the original eight weight divisions, and same day weigh-ins, this would probably be a light heavyweight fight. Just makes me wonder if going back to same day weigh-ins isn't a better option for fighter safety.

Comment

Good luck Sosa. Joo gon need it.

Comment

I guess Sosa is really serious about trying to win a title. I figured he would not try to make weight and come to the fight stronger. Props
        Last edited by kidaguilar; 04-07-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kidaguilar View Post
          I guess Sosa is really serious about trying to win a title. I figured he would not try to make weight and come to the fight stronger. Props
          I am glad he made weight but he just weakened himself even more. Not a good sign.

Comment

Why strip Sosa!?

I can't believe the wba. This was a unification fight. Sosa shouldn't have been stripped. Corrales didn't want the fight vs Lomachenko. Too many belts ffs.
            This is one of the reasons that I value the Ring belt above the others.
            When the ibf let Judah stay it's WW champ after the Floyd fight I Puked a little in my mouth.
            The WBA is no better with it's severely diluted titles in all divisions.
            Way too much bs for people to actually respect their belt.
            Should be two title belts per division.
            Full titles, no interim.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet_Science_ View Post
              I can't believe the wba. This was a unification fight. Sosa shouldn't have been stripped. Corrales didn't want the fight vs Lomachenko. Too many belts ffs.
              This is one of the reasons that I value the Ring belt above the others.
              When the ibf let Judah stay it's WW champ after the Floyd fight I Puked a little in my mouth.
              The WBA is no better with it's severely diluted titles in all divisions.
              Way too much bs for people to actually respect their belt.
              Should be two title belts per division.
              Full titles, no interim.
              corrales went to the #1 guy in the division and ko'd in his own country..and u're complain about corrales having a belt??
              do us all a favor..since u said corrales didnt want the loma fight with no factual evidence of it...FIND IT FOR US PLEASE...show us the fair and legit deal that he was offered and turned down..

i dont respect a reply to this message worth reading btw...i'd be shocked if u can do wat i request it bc i cant find it anywhere even with inside sources.

Comment

Sosa (20-1-4, 15 KOs), a huge underdog, weighed in at 130.4 pounds on his first try Friday afternoon. [/B]The former 130-pound title-holder stripped naked, but still weighed 130.2 pounds on his second attempt.

The commission gave Sosa the standard [B]two hours to lose those two ounces, but he came back less than an hour later and made weight. Lomachenko, also 29, made weight on his first try Friday (129.6 pounds).
                This might seem like an insignificant nitpick, but .2 pounds is not 2 ounces, it is two-tenths of a pound.

1lb=16 ounces; thus .2 * 16 = 3.2 ounces.

Comment

Working...
                X