Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Peter Welch: preaching the boxing gospel on The Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Peter Welch: preaching the boxing gospel on The Fighters

By Thomas Gerbasi - Peter Welch remembers boxing at its purest. For him, what happens in the ring between two fighters isn’t just the essence of sport, but for many, a way out: of poverty, bad situations, bad habits, or a combination of all three. And when it’s done right, there is still nothing like it.

“For me and the guys that I grew up with, it’s just so nostalgic,” said Welch, a renowned trainer and gym owner in South Boston who will be featured on the upcoming boxing reality show The Fighters, which premieres on Discovery Channel on January 23rd. “It’s like Christmas to us because when I think back to Christmas, we were growing up in the projects, and my mother was doing the best she can, but there were always toys under the tree. There was always something to look forward to, there was always family, and always good memories, even though times weren’t always that good. And it’s the same thing with boxing. And that’s from the heart. That’s what boxing means to me. It was my way out of situations, and it was my way into a normal society. It gave me so much, and I think the guys that I grew up with and the guys that I’m around from boxing, they can say the same thing. No matter what you did, whether you became a world champion, a local Golden Gloves champion, there’s a brotherhood and a camaraderie that we’re so connected to, and it’s just part of our life and it’s our lifestyle.” [Click Here To Read More]
Working...
X