Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tyson - Days of Grace: 'Iron Mike' Reflects on The Past

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tyson - Days of Grace: 'Iron Mike' Reflects on The Past

By Thomas Gerbasi - Days of Grace. The tattoo on Mike Tyson’s left arm, a portrait of the late tennis great Arthur Ashe and the title of his autobiography, raised a lot of eyebrows when it was first revealed, perhaps even more so than the inked headshots of Mao Tse Tung and Che Guevara that adorn the former heavyweight champion’s body.

The reason was simple. For years, you could have described Brownsville, Brooklyn’s Iron Mike as the anti-Arthur Ashe. Where Ashe was reserved, Tyson was in your face; as Ashe amazed with his technical brilliance on the court, the youngest man to hold the heavyweight title shocked with his ferocity.

But nearly seven years after his final fight against Kevin McBride in 2005, Mike Tyson, at 45, is no longer an angry young man. As he approaches the premiere of his one-man show – Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth - at the MGM Grand’s Hollywood Theatre in Las Vegas on April 13th (the show runs through April 18th), there’s a distinct sense that he’s moved on, even if the boxing world still remains fascinated with the man formerly known as “Kid Dynamite.”

“I don’t watch that stuff no more,” Tyson told BoxingScene this week when asked if he ever pulls out the old fight films to relive his glory days. “I don’t want to think about that guy, I want to think about this new guy that we’re trying to invent that’s gonna bring a light to this field.”

It makes sense. Because for all the good memories associated with his time in the ring, there are just as many bad ones, ones that make him look back and wonder how he was able to survive and make it to this point as a husband, father, and survivor. I ask him if he misses the sport at all.

“Yes, slightly,” he says quietly. “But that sport allows me to get too dark when I’m in it. I needed to have my dark side to really eclipse anything in that sport, so in order to do that, I had to think of myself better than I actually and truly was, and in doing that I offended a lot of people.”

These days, as the next generation of heavyweights plies their trade in a world sorely missing a Tyson-esque presence, the former champ’s workouts are limited to two hours a day of cardio and some work with a medicine ball for his abs. No speed bag, no shadowboxing, not even a few whacks on the heavy bag, though a look at him on his recent Animal Planet series Taking on Tyson showed that he could still rip off a hook or three. [Click Here To Read More]

Good read

Comment

a guy that's broke and was nothing more than a degenerate & a thug & is not even in the top 15 of heavies...look@ his early years & the bums he beat, even 4 the title , Berbick was elite???

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
        a guy that's broke and was nothing more than a degenerate & a thug & is not even in the top 15 of heavies...look@ his early years & the bums he beat, even 4 the title , Berbick was elite???
        What's your problem?
        First off have u seen his house? He is not broke.....maybe a lot less then what he had but not broke.
        2nd are you perfect? Are you god? People can mess up and people can change. And he has done a remarkable job at changing his life and trying to change his mindset.
        People like you jump in and bash a dude for no reason, maybe something happened in your life?

And 3rd, he is not top 15 but in the top 50 greatest at HW and that is a accomplishment. What's with people needed to be top 10 all time to be respected. How many fighters have there been since boxings inception? And you think not being in the "top 15" means a fighter is a bum or something?

Man I hope your the pope or some high noble person that has never done anything wrong and is the best at your job in the history of your job. Cause if your not.....well ya know.....your nothing but a loser posting in forums being a hater cause that is your calling in life a "Hater"

Comment

those who said tyson has beat bums don't know about boxing...

Comment

Nice article.

Comment

Originally posted by v.cassiusali@ya View Post
              those who said tyson has beat bums don't know about boxing...
              Thank you...
              Tyson was the best and if he was around
              now he be unstoppable...
              Greatest of all time

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
                He makes my top 10 HW's.

He was a Shooting star that brought so many new fans to the game and generated so much excitement, it was an honour watching his career.

Why comment on his finances (which are probably a damn site better than your own)? Do u hate on Joe Louis for going broke? Sugar Ray Robinson? Holyfield? Bowe? Benitez? The list goes on bro....

Comment

Working...
                X