Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Miquel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito & undercards RbR and discussion thread...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
    Cotto won that fight because he learned from every mistake that cost him the first fight, beautiful display of boxing. He stayed off the ropes, he was turning Marg, holding him when he needed and taking a few breaks on the inside where Marg couldn't put full power into his punches. Also, as i've always said mattered most to his success: Cotto was, at least IMO, in the best condition of his career last night, and that above all else got him the win.

Marg expected to do the exact same thing he did the first time, and even though he was getting to Cotto he wasn't doing it as effectively as he did the first time. Don't see the evidence for plaster in the first fight, as Marg even being less successful at landing at will against Cotto, still managed to do a substantial amount of damage.

After all that Marg went through in the fight, i thought they should have at least given him 1 or 2 more rounds, but i'm sure NY did not want be responsible for the possible destruction of the eye that they said was in perfect fighting condition less then 2 weeks ago.
    Exactly what i think...also, did you notice the look on Cotto's face when they stopped the fight? He was dissapointed...he wanted to keep beating Tony up. He executed the perfect plan to beat Tony. It's how he should have fought in their 1st fight. Like the above poster said, he learned from his mistakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
      Exactly what i think...also, did you notice the look on Cotto's face when they stopped the fight? He was dissapointed...he wanted to keep beating Tony up. He executed the perfect plan to beat Tony. It's how he should have fought in their 1st fight. Like the above poster said, he learned from his mistakes.
      That's what I was telling everyone here. Cotto didn't want it to be stopped, he gained momentum every time the Dr stepped in to look at the eye and made Cotto more hungry for BLOOD!..

That stare he gave to their corner was CRAZY!...

Comment

• Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
        That's what I was telling everyone here. Cotto didn't want it to be stopped, he gained momentum every time the Dr stepped in to look at the eye and made Cotto more hungry for BLOOD!..

That stare he gave to their corner was CRAZY!...
        Anyone has footage of that stare? The one after the fight was over? It was not shown on PPV but I keep hearing/reading about it.

Comment

I did notice, it was complete reversal. In the first fight, Marg was eager to get back into exchanges with Cotto, and even though Cotto would land more punches Marg was content to land the better blows. In this fight, even though Marg would smile after getting caught and keep coming forward, you could see it in his face that he knew he wasn't getting to Cotto and Cotto was getting to him.

If it wasn't for the eye being a huge factor from now on, i'd love to see them fight 1 more time.

Comment

• I think Cotto would beat him again, even if no eye injury. He has the blueprint on how to beat him now. Lateral movement, pot shot him, get out before he gets hit back, and push him...don't allow him to pressure.

His plan was great. He could have dug more to the body and a few other minor things, but looking back at his mistakes in the 1st fight, he didn't stand and trade with a volume puncher. Gotta keep moving, turning Tony so he can't get any good power shots off.

He didn't allow Tony to stalk him..he had Tony confused. Tony did get some good shots in though, Cotto's face looks pretty bad, but again, i say he's got the blueprint on how to beat him, irregardless of the eye. Tony has one style and he'll never change it. Come forward and throw volume. His defence sucks, and he never was much of a true boxer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Boxer View Post
              Anyone has footage of that stare? The one after the fight was over? It was not shown on PPV but I keep hearing/reading about it.
              The PPV did show it.

He was staring and Pedro Diaz kept trying to talk to him and he didn't take his eyes off of Margarito's corner. Pedro Diaz put a sponsors hat on and Cotto kept looking at Margarito.

He even walked over there and Arum told him to not start a riot and Cotto said that all he wanted to do is go and get his family in to the ring.

Comment

I think Cotto would beat him again, even if no eye injury. He has the blueprint on how to beat him now. Lateral movement, pot shot him, get out before he gets hit back, and push him...don't allow him to pressure.

His plan was great. He could have dug more to the body and a few other minor things, but looking back at his mistakes in the 1st fight, he didn't stand and trade with a volume puncher. Gotta keep moving, turning Tony so he can't get any good power shots off.

He didn't allow Tony to stalk him..he had Tony confused. Tony did get some good shots in though, Cotto's face looks pretty bad, but again, i say he's got the blueprint on how to beat him, irregardless of the eye. Tony has one style and he'll never change it. Come forward and throw volume. His defence sucks, and he never was much of a true boxer.
                I feel you, even without the eye injury Cotto had a great gameplan, i'm just saying that without the eye a rematch is more interesting then watching Marg's eye get broken down again. Cotto did have the perfect gameplan, but i believe more then anything else, his conditioning was what won him the night. He was able to do for 12 rounds what he could only keep up for 6 in the first fight.

At the same time, I honestly believe that somewhere deep down inside, Marg himself was worried about that eye. He seemed like he was more focused on protecting it then fighting his fight early on.

Comment

• Smoger was letting Cotto pull Margarito's head down a lot, sometimes halfway across the ring. I thought that was a little weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scoooter View Post
                    Smoger was letting Cotto pull Margarito's head down a lot, sometimes halfway across the ring. I thought that was a little weird.
                    Smoger also didn't break up any clinches, he's a referee that'll stay out of the way unless it's very necessary, that's the kind of referee's boxing needs.

Comment

• Amazing fight put on by Cotto I party hard for two straight days after that victory. Sweet revenge was served cold and Cotto made Maregarito his ***** he played target practice with that cheater.

Comment

Working...
                      X