Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ben Davison Is The Best Trainer In Boxing—Convince Me I'm Wrong ...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Davison Is The Best Trainer In Boxing—Convince Me I'm Wrong ...

Davison took a fat, drug addicted Tyson Fury and brought him back to the top of the heavy weight division. Davison also got Taylor to put on one of the best performances of his career against Ramirez, even telling him how and when to knock down Ramirez later in the fight, which Taylor was then able to do. He got Leigh Wood to come back late in his fight and win by KO against Conlan. He trained Devin Haney to get his best wins, against Linares, Diaz and Kambosos (part of the training was by teleconference).

Davison is one of the best trainers in boxing right now. Convince me otherwise ...
    1. He had a draw with Wilder, many of whom saw Wilder lose that fight.
    2. He's helped Haney get past his toughest competition to become undisputed Lightweight Champion.
    3. He just navigated Lee Woods to a victory over Xu Can to become the WBA featherweight champion of the world. He then helped him beat Conlan. Two KO victories.
    4. With Billy Joe Saunders, he helped Saunders beat Vaughan and Roye, two successful title defense. He also helped him beat Shefat Isufi.
    5. With Taylor, he helped him defeat Jose Ramirez to become undisputed, and then he helped him get past Catterall.
    Then, when Saunders split from Davison, he suffered his first loss to Alvarez. Coincidence? I don't think so. Now that Taylor's left him, if Catterall decisively beats Taylor, that's going to say a whole lot. And if Haney loses to Kambosos, that's going to say everything.

You have one of the youngest trainers in the sport, helping get two boxers to undisputed and has an undefeated record. How is he not the best there is right now?

Last edited by Cypocryphy; 10-06-2022, 11:41 PM.

All hail Boxercise Ben!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lupara View Post
      All hail Boxercise Ben!!!
      lol

Well, let's look at this realistically. Davison is undefeated as a trainer:
      • He had a draw with Wilder, many of whom saw Wilder lose that fight.
      • He's helped Haney get past his toughest competition to become undisputed Lightweight Champion.
      • He just navigated Lee Woods to a victory over Xu Can to become the WBA featherweight champion of the world. He then helped him beat Conlan. Two KO victories.
      • With Billy Joe Saunders, he helped Saunders beat Vaughan and Roye, two successful title defense. He also helped him beat Shefat Isufi.
      • With Taylor, he helped him defeat Jose Ramirez to become undisputed, and then he helped him get past Catterall.
      Then, when Saunders split from Davison, he suffered his first loss to Alvarez. Coincidence? I don't think so. Now that Taylor's left him, if Catterall decisively beats Taylor, that's going to say a whole lot. And if Haney loses to Kambosos, that's going to say everything.

You have one of the youngest trainers in the sport, helping get two boxers to undisputed and has an undefeated record. How is he not the best there is right now?

Comment

I think he's terrible. Those guys Billy Joe beat, he looked terrible in them. The first Wilder fight was alright. He made no adjustments in the Caterall fight. Wood was a decent win. Haney mostly fought bums before Kambosis so I don't know how much he helped.

Comment

Davidson is alright, time will tell.

But Catterall beat Taylor, let's not pretend otherwise and lose credibility for your whole argument.
          Ghost Jab Ghost Jab likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by M312 View Post
            Davidson is alright, time will tell.

But Catterall beat Taylor, let's not pretend otherwise and lose credibility for your whole argument.
            Catterall was robbed.

Comment

He’s a decent trainer and seems to be an agreeable soul. But I’m not sure I’m convinced he’s a great trainer.

In hindsight (which is not exactly fair), his game plan for Fury against Wilder was not good. If he had continued working with Fury, he would have had him continue fighting Wilder off of the back foot. Fury almost lost his zero that way in the first fight, because Davidson didn’t want him to plant his feet and just use head movement and slap shots. Not everyone is Mayweather and even Mayweather never had to deal with anything close to a Wilder right. Didn’t the great Freddie Roach keep saying during the first fight that he thought Fury should take the fight to Wilder, but Davidson by rights more or less overruled that advice?

I get what you’re saying, but I must admit I wasn’t impressed with his in-fight advice for Fury. Mike McCallum realized once he got hit by Julian Jackson that he had to get him out of there ASAP or he’d be the one going to sleep. I think it takes a boxer to know those things and Davidson, though a decent man it seems and a great trainer in terms of diet and exercise, doesn’t have the inside boxing knowledge to pick up on something like that. If Roach had been the lead trainer and Fury had gone hell for leather mid-rounds in the first Wilder fight, there’s no telling how history would have unfolded in the heavyweight landscape. We probably wouldn’t have ever had Fury Wilder III and Fury would probably still have a perfect record (no draws).

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Jab View Post
                He’s a decent trainer and seems to be an agreeable soul. But I’m not sure I’m convinced he’s a great trainer.

In hindsight (which is not exactly fair), his game plan for Fury against Wilder was not good. If he had continued working with Fury, he would have had him continue fighting Wilder off of the back foot. Fury almost lost his zero that way in the first fight, because Davidson didn’t want him to plant his feet and just use head movement and slap shots. Not everyone is Mayweather and even Mayweather never had to deal with anything close to a Wilder right. Didn’t the great Freddie Roach keep saying during the first fight that he thought Fury should take the fight to Wilder, but Davidson by rights more or less overruled that advice?

I get what you’re saying, but I must admit I wasn’t impressed with his in-fight advice for Fury. Mike McCallum realized once he got hit by Julian Jackson that he had to get him out of there ASAP or he’d be the one going to sleep. I think it takes a boxer to know those things and Davidson, though a decent man it seems and a great trainer in terms of diet and exercise, doesn’t have the inside boxing knowledge to pick up on something like that. If Roach had been the lead trainer and Fury had gone hell for leather mid-rounds in the first Wilder fight, there’s no telling how history would have unfolded in the heavyweight landscape. We probably wouldn’t have ever had Fury Wilder III and Fury would probably still have a perfect record (no draws).
                He's off to a good start, that's for sure. He does get a lot of hate, which I'm not sure why that's the case. But I do agree with you. We need to see more of him.
                Ghost Jab Ghost Jab likes this.

Comment

Working...
                X