Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing the second most popular sport in the world according to stats funny people still push the narrative that it's 'dying'.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing the second most popular sport in the world according to stats funny people still push the narrative that it's 'dying'.

Boxing is the 2nd most popular sport in the world among young people, according to research from GWI. In a series that charts the growth of today’s sporting markets, boxing came second, thanks largely to a boost in interest and an engagement among young adults who are increasingly following the sport in large numbers.

It’s no surprise that football or soccer was the number one hobby for people throughout the world. Its dominance doesn’t appear as if it will lag anytime soon.

However, boxing has beat some of the biggest sports in the world. This included athletics, tennis, and winter sports, to the second spot will shock some people.

Let’s take a look at why it ranks highly, particularly with young people and adults.

The APAC Region

APAC stands for Asia and the Pacific, and this area is one of the main reasons that boxing has skyrocketed among young people.

Compared to the rest of the world, boxing holds a 40% internet follower rate, which is only 2% off football in APAC.

Only North America, which is notorious for its own sports, has sports that beat football in popularity.

Latin America helps, too. Boxing holds a 46% share in the region and comes second overall.

Interest among young people and adults in Asia and the Pacific is reportedly down to the increase in sporting events, mainly boxing.

For example, huge fights have been held in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. They include Anthony Joshua versus Andy Ruiz Jr II. Also, Callum Smith versus George Groves in the World Boxing Super Series super-middleweight final. The Expressestimates the latter earned 6 million each by fighting in Jeddah.
    [Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]
    Mark Robinson
    More Relatable Fighters

Young adults can’t relate to older fighters with different boxing styles. They want swashbuckling prizefighters who go for the kill. To put it all on the line to secure their sport status.

And these men and women are becoming easier to find within the industry.

World Heavyweight champion, Anthony Joshua, is a prime example as he had fifteen bouts before he fought for the IBF crown and has a knockout percentage of over 90%.

The heavyweight division is crammed with young talent representing the audience. Joe Joyce and Daniel Dubois, to name two. It’s no wonder that the fight between the pair is a huge market on Casitabi since viewers are excited to see how healthy the golden division is and who will challenge Fury and Joshua’s likes in the future.

It's funny that this message is still pushed whilst the sport continues to break records in both live attendances and PPV sales surpassing all other PPV sports and in fact holding 7 of the top 10 slits in the all time PPV list.

is the fact that boxing has no unified body representing it the reason for it's relatively bad press despite it's overall massive success and cash investments?

the UFC which has laughably been compared to boxing in recent times has a combined total of 700 combatants across the entirety of the sport, whereas boxing has a combined 25,000 active fighters every time a fight happens someone whether it be the fighter or promoter makes money it's financially impossible for an organisation like the UFC to make 1/10th of the global annual income of boxing but having the UFC as the singular major organisation in that sport (Bellator is tine and has roughly 100 employed active fighters) means that they can easily control the narrative around the company to put it into context the entire UFC was purchased for 4 Billion, DAZN a good but failing platform that features mainly boxing just had a 4 Billion investment this year, that'll likely be embezzled and lost between Hearn and Golden boy. and boxing will continue if the 4 Billion UFC was lost that company and sport would be DONE.

Also recently all the big fights we've wanted have been getting made I think I'm happily negative when boxing doesn't give us the fights we want so I'll be positive now it is.
    1hourRun likes this.

Makes me wonder why all those great American heavyweights all go in the NBA and nfl tbh
    Zaroku likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
      Makes me wonder why all those great American heavyweights all go in the NBA and nfl tbh

Because the despite the global reach of the sport you are still getting punched in the head unfortunately, also The sport isn't as big in America as it is globally.

Comment

Not even Bob Arum and Don King die, let alone boxing.
        STREET CLEANER likes this.

Comment

I've been seeing more people interested in boxing than I ever have, which is odd. I'm in love with the sport so I'm always talking about it but it's not as if boxing is on fire with all compelling and competitive fights right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
            Cuz my mom said she hated seeing me take shots to the head and enrolled me in pop Warner football..

when a guy lets kTFO like I have been it takes years to get over being concussed

Comment

Originally posted by nubianpiye View Post
              the UFC which has laughably been compared to boxing in recent times has a combined total of 700 combatants across the entirety of the sport, whereas boxing has a combined 25,000 active fighters every time a fight happens someone whether it be the fighter or promoter makes money it's financially impossible for an organisation like the UFC to make 1/10th of the global annual income of boxing but having the UFC as the singular major organisation in that sport (Bellator is tine and has roughly 100 employed active fighters) means that they can easily control the narrative around the company to put it into context the entire UFC was purchased for 4 Billion, DAZN a good but failing platform that features mainly boxing just had a 4 Billion investment this year, that'll likely be embezzled and lost between Hearn and Golden boy. and boxing will continue if the 4 Billion UFC was lost that company and sport would be DONE.
              The only thing being laughably compared is you for some reason trying to compare the size of just the UFCs roster to every active boxer on the planet to artificially inflate the size of the gap between the two talent pools. I like how Bellator having 100 fighters is tiny too, pretty sure thats more than every boxing promotion other than PBC, which has 135. The UFC has more fighters on its roster than every major boxing promotion combined.

Other than that, why is the comparison laughable? the UFC is by far the largest single platform with the largest global reach of either sport, Conor McGregor is demonstrably the biggest star and draw in either sport, MMA generates much better online numbers ie forum traffic, YT views, social media followers (why does MMA Reddit have almost twice as many subscribers as Reddit boxing? those are the two largest forums for both) MMA draws much more consistently on PPV and has done for like 15 years now, MMA has an EA produced video game while EA dropped boxing in 2011 and there hasnt been a major boxing game since (AJ and Fury are DLC for a UFC game lol), the biggest "boxing" match since Floyd/Pac was Floyd vs an 0-0 in boxing MMA fighter. Seems like MMA has a pretty good case for being as big as boxing now tbh, arguably bigger in a spectator sense although boxing is still bigger as a participation sport.

Some boxing fans are utterly delusional about how big and "global" boxing is. Having said all that, no, of course its not "dying".
              Last edited by TMLT87; 05-25-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

UFC and MMA I’da tiny little sport. Anytime a fight happens money changes hands just so happens due to MMA having so few combatants less money changed hands in that little donkey Dick sport
                CaneloBlue likes this.

Comment

Only delusional idiots think that boxing is dying. Boxing will be in top 3 and football (real one) will be #1 forever.

Comment

"internet users" ☠

Cricket is the 2nd most popular sport worldwide. Over 600 million in India alone watch that ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X