Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Jermell Charlo, Jaron Ennis, Tyson Fury, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Jermell Charlo, Jaron Ennis, Tyson Fury, More

The Daily Bread Mailbag returns with Stephen "Breadman" Edwards tackling topics such as Jermell Charlo's big knockout of Brian Castano, the rise of welterweight Jaron Ennis, Tyson Fury being pound-for-pound, Amir Khan, Kell Brook, and more.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Very true, Ennis, with the eyeball test, is the most purely talented boxer in the world today.

He'll beat Spence and Crawford now I think, but not saying it'll be easy, obviously a big step up from the likes of Clayton.

We shall see, but he could be the most amazing talent seen since the likes of Mayweather, Whitaker and Leonard.

Comment

Bread makes sense regarding Canelo having opponents that will push him harder after what took place vs Bivol. Yet there’s a flip side to that coin. Pressing Canelo has its drawbacks. Just ask James Kirkland

Comment

Originally posted by DiEHARDD View Post
        Bread makes sense regarding Canelo having opponents that will push him harder after what took place vs Bivol. Yet there’s a flip side to that coin. Pressing Canelo has its drawbacks. Just ask James Kirkland
        Kirkland was a punching bag though.
        wrecksracer likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Liondw View Post
          Very true, Ennis, with the eyeball test, is the most purely talented boxer in the world today.

He'll beat Spence and Crawford now I think, but not saying it'll be easy, obviously a big step up from the likes of Clayton.

We shall see, but he could be the most amazing talent seen since the likes of Mayweather, Whitaker and Leonard.
          I agree 100%, Boots is amazing, and he's not even 25 yet!

Comment

Lol at Fury being P4P in the mix Tank.

There is difference between beating Klit and Wilder to won twice the lineal title in very dominant fashion and struggling with the Gamboas and Cruz of the World for bum a'ss interim belts.

Comment

Originally posted by DiEHARDD View Post
              Kirkland had non existent defense and a glass chin. Not everyone has that terrible combo of weaknesses.

Comment

It’s astounding when people really try to act as if Richard Steele made a competent call in Chavez vs Taylor. Anyone who thinks he did only does so because they had a horse in the race. If that same scenario played out for their favorite fighter, they’d have lost their minds. Any objective fan knows Steele blew that call big time.
                billeau2 likes this.

Comment

I’m not totally sold on Ennis yet, yes he is very good, yes he has skill and power…but he is still green. No doubt he will be a champion one day, how would he fair against Thurman, Porter, Garcia, Ugas…nevermind Crawford and Spence just yet. I’d like to see him against these guys and if he performs as he has against these C and D level guys, then I’ll be sold.

Comment

I dont think the whole 5 judge thing will work. I mean if three judges were giving it to Canelo 4-0 from (we'll write bias in lieu of any corruption charges) then why would two extra judges be any different.

If someone REALLY wanted to solve this issue they need to establish baselines of what each judge favors. We have enough film of fights these judges have worked just review them and see what judges usually look for; mind you not just compubox stuff (landed, thrown, power punch, jab) but track partially landed punches (those that hit some glove and target), track time spent coming forward, time spent on the ropes (or giving the center of the ring), where punches landed, time between punches landed (combos), etc. I'd also include how they scored previous rounds as I bet many mean regress

If you do this round by round with for judges you will soon see a picture of how they actually score fights (yes, I know the articulated criteria, but many interpret it differently). I'd let this data be available to all, then if you have a case where you suspect bias you just compare how they scored the fight to their consistent baseline; or at the least you'd learn if some judges are just all over the map and have no consistency.

Problem is, there is no motivating force to make this work. The commissions have no reason to do this, it would just mean more work without a payoff as they regulate themselves (which is a shame because they SHOULD be the ones to do this). Sanctioning bodies make more $ when A-sides consistently win, so they don't need this. Media members could do this, but that may anger sanctioning bodies and commissions; and media members want to stay on their good side.

This would be HUGELY beneficial, but the powers that be have the benefits of $$ without it.
                    billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X