Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: Canelo is Not Big Enough To Stay at 175, It's Not His Weight Class

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buddyr View Post
    After he beat Kovalev everyone said that he would have ko'd hagler and hopkins at mw and would have beat Tarver at 175. Now he's too small. FOH..
    This…..all that talk about how much an all time great when all the while he was benefitting from the boxing establishment that desperately tried to keep the gravy train rolling by spurious judging and of all things preferential treatment of horrendous (read nonexistent) PED cheat rulings

Comment

Originally posted by Elastic Recoilz View Post
      Nah... This is a guy who claims to spar heavyweights in the gym, was prepared to fight Makabu at cruiserweight and was telling Hearn he was willing to fight Usyk at a 201lb catchweight! Canelo can make the 175lb limit comfortably and has fought there before so no excuses can be made when he loses in said division.

All those people who claim Canelo has height and reach disadvantages at 175lb are totally wrong. When he fought Callum Smith at 168lb, Smith was 6 foot 3 and had a eight inch reach advantage over Canelo, yet the fight wasn't competitive. Canelo in theory should in the same way, be able to fight opponents at 175lb with height and reach advantages over him but he can't because Light heavy is a significantly stronger division than super middle in terms of skill level and opposition.

Canelo only lost to Bivol because of skill not weight. If they run it back at 168lb its the same outcome. To my eyes Canelo is on the decline - he didn't look great against Plant (I had Plant 1 round up by the time of the KO)and against Bivol he looked one dimensional. His Stamina was absolutely atrocious as well - by round 12 there was not an ounce of power on his punches.
      Finally someone acknowledges that plant was boxing extremely well in that fight and was at times thoroughly out boxing Canelo. Canelo actually had stamina in that fight unlike his fights at jr middleweight abs middleweight and two weeks ago where he gassed in 6 rounds. I’m telling you this man is inconsistent with his stamina and his and his teams history of ped use leads me to no other conclusion that to some degree he has benefitted from it in his career
      Elastic Recoilz likes this.

Comment

i swear people were saying that canelos style works better against bigger opponents lol, now im hearing a whole load of excuses some even saying hes too old now at the grand old age of 31. a few weeks ago he couild have beat prime sugar ray robinson/leonard and now hes some small frail fighter who never stood a chance in the fight he was 1/5 favourite for. he lost because hes not good enough, its as simple as that. he finally upped his opposition and he got found out. bivol didnt have some magic blueprint either, same thing would have happened to canelo, maybe worse, if he fought charlo/benavidez/spence which canelo turned down for more money because he thought the bivol/GGG 3 route was easiest. now if canelo is just too small maybe he should go fight andrade at 160 and see what happens, i wonder what excuses they make then when he gets outboxed for about the 5th/6th time in his career.
        Last edited by Madison boxing; 05-21-2022, 10:11 AM.
        Elastic Recoilz likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
          i swear people were saying that canelos style works better against bigger opponents lol, now im hearing a whole load of excuses some even saying hes too old now at the grand old age of 31. a few weeks ago he couild have been sugar ray robinson/leonard and given ali a good fight at heavyweight and now hes some small frail fighter who never stood a chance in the fight he was 1/5 favourite for. he lost because hes not good enough, its as simple as that. he finally upped his opposition and he got found out.
          True Story.

This would have happened at 160 for disputed vs Andrade but they would have been able to rig the cards bc like Lara he would have been able to keep it close or benefited from Levi Martinez's cards if Andrade took a round or 2 off which is like giving Canelo 4 rounds on the judges' cards.
          Last edited by hhh1200; 05-21-2022, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
            Bivol offered to give Canelo a rematch @ 168! Canelo should accept that offer ASAP! I don't see why would anyone criticize Canelo for trying to win @ 175? We have too many fighters trying to be weight bullies already! I still give Canelo his props, even though he failed! Now get back to 168, and get back to work!
            Canelo has fought in 8-10 catchweights. He is a weight bully.
            Smash likes this.

Comment

Roy Jones is absolutely right. Canelo is 5' 8" tall , there are many lightweights that tall. Canelo's only previous loss to Mayweather was at welterweight and kudos to him for daring but he does not belong at the light heavyweight level. You have to give him credit for going the distance and KO'ing Kovalev and Plant but at that weight class he is no longer an elite fighter. You don't see anyone clamoring for Charlo , Benavidez' , Spence or Crawford to fight light heavyweights yet people want to criticize and trash Canelo for losing to one of the best in a weight class he is clearly not big enough for.
              ShoulderRoll likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lionbreech View Post
                You don't see anyone clamoring for Charlo , Benavidez' , Spence or Crawford to fight light heavyweights
                nelo was the one clamoring to fight LHW's, CW's & HW's LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Amir Imam View Post

Canelo has fought in 8-10 catchweights. He is a weight bully.
                  I agree, he was, but to silence the critics, he cleaned out 168! Not too many former WWs, went on to do that kind of work @ 168! Maybe 160, but not 168!

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post

nelo was the one clamoring to fight LHW's, CW's & HW's LMAO
                    He was on a good run and needed a challenge.

He tried and failed. There should be no shame in that, but his critics are doing their best to make sure he is shamed for it. That's how trashy the Canelo-hater fanbase is.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

He was on a good run and needed a challenge.

He tried and failed. There should be no shame in that, but his critics are doing their best to make sure he is shamed for it. That's how trashy the Canelo-hater fanbase is.
                      the higher u go (ho ho) the bigger the fall

Comment

Working...
                      X