Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: Canelo is Not Big Enough To Stay at 175, It's Not His Weight Class

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a cherry pick that went wrong. Cowardnelo thought Bivol would be easier than Charlo, Andrade and Benavidez and got his ducking ass whooped. The sensitive entitled punk will rematch and lose again or fight old and slow ass Golovkin
    Oldskoolg likes this.

Comment

Bivol offered to give Canelo a rematch @ 168! Canelo should accept that offer ASAP! I don't see why would anyone criticize Canelo for trying to win @ 175? We have too many fighters trying to be weight bullies already! I still give Canelo his props, even though he failed! Now get back to 168, and get back to work!
      Oldskoolg, Smash and P to the J like this.

Comment

I actually rate Canelo, and think his fighting 5-6 times in 18 months (or whatever) is a blueprint all boxers should follow.

But I absolutely promise you all that, had he smoked Bivol, NO-ONE would be mentioning weight.

Just find the discourse reminiscent of when a long-standing champion gets beat, then says, “YEAH MATE, I’m struggling to make this weight”, but somehow, they’d never mentioned it previously. It’s just an excuse for meeting a superior boxer at said weight.

However, to his credit, I haven’t seen Canelo saying this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
          Bivol offered to give Canelo a rematch @ 168! Canelo should accept that offer ASAP! I don't see why would anyone criticize Canelo for trying to win @ 175? We have too many fighters trying to be weight bullies already! I still give Canelo his props, even though he failed! Now get back to 168, and get back to work!

Absolutely agree with every sentiment here

Comment

Originally posted by Elastic Recoilz View Post
            Nah... This is a guy who claims to spar heavyweights in the gym, was prepared to fight Makabu at cruiserweight and was telling Hearn he was willing to fight Usyk at a 201lb catchweight! Canelo can make the 175lb limit comfortably and has fought there before so no excuses can be made when he loses in said division.

All those people who claim Canelo has height and reach disadvantages at 175lb are totally wrong. When he fought Callum Smith at 168lb, Smith was 6 foot 3 and had a eight inch reach advantage over Canelo, yet the fight wasn't competitive. Canelo in theory should in the same way, be able to fight opponents at 175lb with height and reach advantages over him but he can't because Light heavy is a significantly stronger division than super middle in terms of skill level and opposition.

Canelo only lost to Bivol because of skill not weight. If they run it back at 168lb its the same outcome. To my eyes Canelo is on the decline - he didn't look great against Plant (I had Plant 1 round up by the time of the KO)and against Bivol he looked one dimensional. His Stamina was absolutely atrocious as well - by round 12 there was not an ounce of power on his punches.
            Agree with all apart from he don’t think he’s on decline. Just that the usual strategy that worked so well against the SMWs wasn’t suited to a serious technician with next level mobility. Probably fell into a tactical rut.
            Smash likes this.

Comment

This kid wanted to fight Usyk and he claimed that he had sparring seasons with Sanchez, so no excuses.
              Oldskoolg and Smash like this.

Comment

Originally posted by T.M.T View Post
                It was a cherry pick that went wrong. Cowardnelo thought Bivol would be easier than Charlo, Andrade and Benavidez and got his ducking ass whooped. The sensitive entitled punk will rematch and lose again or fight old and slow ass Golovkin
                What does TMT stand for? You cant know about boxing. No way. If you did, you would know Canelo already fought guys that all them fighters you mentioned avoided. How long has Jermall Charlo been at 160? Him, Andrade, GGG, Canelo, Jacobs, plus Lara could move up to 160 easy. Out of all of them fighters, Charlo aint fought one. Andrade not one. Lets see. Canelo fought Jacobs, GGG, and Lara, throw Trout in there too when he was undefeated at 154. Did Andrade fight GGG? Nope. DId Andrade fight Jacobs? No. Did Andrade fight either Charlo brother? No. Did Charlo fight GGG, Jacobs, or Lara or Andrade?Nope. Let me guess, Jacobs, GGG, and Canelo, Lara ducking all of them right?

I get it. Canelo is Mexican and he is the cash cow of boxing. It should be one of these black fighters who beat 39 year old fighters to get a belt and fight all unknown mandatory fights. Canelo is running scared of them black fighters who ignore each other or any challenging fights. They want the payday. Im glad Jacobs got one. Im glad Lara and Trout got their turn. The fighters not afraid of a challenge. And i **** with Jermell too. Always been solid and taking risk. He should move up to fight Canelo. Them other fighters need to fight each other and stop waiting for a canelo payday.

Boxingscene just released an article about Lara saying how dudes been ducking him. He older now too. They'd probably beat him now. None of these top 160 fighters sniffed a fight with Lara. Props to Trout, props, to Hurd although he fell off some, and props to Canelo. Daring to be great.

I GUARANTEE anyone who said Bivol was a duck never seen him fight a day in their lives. Did you see him avoid majority of the hard hitting Joe Smith's ko punches? Joe Smith is a much bigger puncher at 175 than Canelo. He was dominated. Bivol outboxed majority of his opponents. There was no way Canelo was going to just walk though him. Many scored the fight 8-4 Bivol. Not exactly a shut out but more than enough to win. It was a good fight. Anyone who watches boxing knew this wasn't a duck and could end bad for Canelo.

Lets see some of them other 160 to 168 fighters go fight Bivol. If Canelo can why not you? They all bigger than Canelo anyway. Hell let's see them fight GGG. Probably won't though. They'll keep sitting around calling everyone a duck ,collect checks, and wait to cash out. If Canelo wins the rematch, Roy Jones is right. He giving up size and power moving up. He wasn't even faster than Bivol. Beterbiev is a bad look for him.
                greeneye99 likes this.

Comment

I cannot criticize Canelo for daring to be great. It didn’t work out, that’s all. A bigger risk would have been defending all those 168 belts against Bivol. We’d be looking at a new unified SMW champion. At 175 he’ll always have the “weight” excuse.
                  P to the J likes this.

Comment

There are a couple of things you can criticise Canelo for in his career (PEDs etc), but you can’t criticise him for testing himself against naturally bigger fighters. Attempting greatness should be applauded.

Comment

Roy is right. Light heavyweight isn't his weight class, he's giving up too many advantages there.

Props to him for trying to be great when he really didn't have to. Could have made the same amount of money fighting an easier opponent.

Comment

Working...
                      X