Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ellerbe Blasts Hearn: He's F----- Off Over Billion Dollars & Has No Stars In US

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ellerbe needs a newsflash: United States doesn’t care about its American boxers.

Boxing’s popularity has moved to Europe and Asia. The only North American countries that still support their boxers are Mexico and Canada. Even Americans who follow boxing root for foreign fighters over their own, mainly because there are no more good white boxers for them to root for.

Two of Mayweather’s last 3 exhibition fights have been outside of the US.

US had a ton of fans in attendance for boxing in the 1920s-1970s. But in the 2000s it has been all Europe. And I don’t care how much more revenue American fights make. Fact is 94k people were in attendance for Fury-Whyte, 80k for Froch-Groves, 90k for AJ-Wlad, 75k for AJ-Parker.

Europe is putting more butts in seats, $30 dollar PPV’s attracts more fans.

Who cares if 1,000 people paid $10k each for their seats. You have a dead crowd, and you put up a barrier for young fans to attend or buy PPV. That’s how you kill a sport, when you don’t cater to the younger crowd.

BoxingIsGreat and kiaba360 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post

I know you are a big Josh Taylor fan. That guy's ugly style is far from my cup of tea as well. Low skill, no special effects. Haney doesn't have any special effects either. Davis is a must watch to real boxing fans. No disrespect to you of course.

That's why Hearn is chasing him. Davis is all special effects, every punch counts.
      Taylor Is my countryman first and foremost. And he usually brings excitement and entertainment, when he's on form. Poor performance last time out. Haney lacks power. But I just love watching his technical abilities. For me, sometimes when you see a gifted fighter like that, it's a joy to watch, so much so that I'm not bothering about a knockout. Great bonus if it comes, but if not, I can watch a quality operator all night long. Davis is a fine fighter. But a counter puncher. And whilst he is massively effective with that, with bombs in both hands, I would like to see him a bit more industrious. I like busy fighters. But he's a great fighter and gets the job done. That can't be knocked.

Comment

Some of the money that DAZN has spent...could have been Davis' had PBC allowed him to face Tevin Farmer when they both had 130lb titles. Let's not kid ourselves: Matchroom hasn't made a dent in the U.S. market partly because enough American promoters DON'T WANT THEM TO. Stars are made because of the match-ups they have and the moments they create in the ring. Matchroom has no chance of building American stars if PBC/TR decide to keep everything in-house. Hearn kept Andrade and Farmer busy, but couldn't take their name value to the next level because he couldn't get them the 'big American dust-ups' (i.e. Charlo and Davis). He's gonna continue having issues if he wants to cultivate an American stable. Hearn is a decent promoter, but his gift of gab will only take his fighters so far. Boxers need great fights and memorable nights!
        Last edited by kiaba360; 05-20-2022, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Ellerbe needs a newsflash: United States doesn’t care about its American boxers.

Boxing’s popularity has moved to Europe and Asia. The only North American countries that still support their boxers are Mexico and Canada. Even Americans who follow boxing root for foreign fighters over their own, mainly because there are no more good white boxers for them to root for.

US had a ton of fans in attendance for boxing in the 1920s-1970s. But in the 2000s it has been all Europe. And I don’t care how much more revenue American fights make. Fact is 94k people were in attendance for Fury-Whyte, 80k for Froch-Groves, 90k for AJ-Wlad, 75k for AJ-Parker.

Who cares if 1,000 people paid $10k each for their seats. You have a dead crowd, and you put up a barrier for young fans to attend or buy PPV. That’s how you kill a sport, when you don’t cater to the younger crowd.

The truth right there, Kev.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
            Hard to say he has no stars in the US when he’s just promoted a Canelo fight and has him under contract for the next fight too, promoted 4 of his last 5 fights.
            Ellerbe said that Matchroom hasn't built any stars. And that's a fact. They haven't.

Meanwhile, PBC makes a star every time they do a show, even when it's the loser (Isaac Cruz).

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post

Thats the uk and their fans come out for lots of stuff

Who are all of these euro fighters that americans are rooting for? surely not brits LMAO, if they were anyway popular they could fight and make a lot of money in the US but even the top ones cant even do a ppv and barely sell out events, if they had any real large fan bases this would not be so, plus america has a large immigrant population who might like a guy from their parents or grandparents neck of the woods
              Last edited by Smash; 05-20-2022, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leicesterage View Post

Ellerbe said that Matchroom hasn't built any stars. And that's a fact. They haven't.

Meanwhile, PBC makes a star every time they do a show, even when it's the loser (Isaac Cruz).
                Isaac Cruz is a star? We have a very different idea of what a star is.
                billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
                  That's too bad because I want boxing on any venue to succeed when it comes down to it. Davis can attract a big African American base and more subscriptions for them in the US. Hearn should put his coin where his mouth is first, and let's see.
                  I don't want boxing to succeed on every platform because the platforms generally don't work together. If there were 5 major basketball leagues and Lebron never played against Durant, Durant never played against CP3, CP3 never played against Gianis, etc, the public would lose interest in basketball.

Monopolies generally aren't good for the public, but sports are the one exception. What's best for the fans is for one league to have a monopoly of all of the best athletes so they can face each other to determine a consensus champion. Boxing is no different in this regard.

If you're a UK fan, how does talent being split between Sky, BT and DAZN benefit you? It doesn't. If you're a US fan, how does talent being split between PBC, Top Rank and DAZN benefit you? It doesn't.

The best thing for boxing fans around the world would be for DAZN to go out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post

I don't want boxing to succeed on every platform because the platforms generally don't work together. If there were 5 major basketball leagues and Lebron never played against Durant, Durant never played against CP3, CP3 never played against Gianis, etc, the public would lose interest in basketball.

Monopolies generally aren't good for the public, but sports are the one exception. What's best for the fans is for one league to have a monopoly of all of the best athletes so they can face each other to determine a consensus champion. Boxing is no different in this regard.

If you're a UK fan, how does talent being split between Sky, BT and DAZN benefit you? It doesn't. If you're a US fan, how does talent being split between PBC, Top Rank and DAZN benefit you? It doesn't.

The best thing for boxing fans around the world would be for DAZN to go out of business.
                    Thats a great point. We see the results... Every Palooka has a belt! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post

Isaac Cruz is a star? We have a very different idea of what a star is.
                      Nobody was talking about Tank winning.

Everyone was talking about Cruz almost winning.

That's a star.

Plus he's fresh off an impressive performance against Gamboa AND was that close to getting another impressive win against Cryan Garcia. Back to back top level fights.

That's a star.
                      BoxingIsGreat likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X