Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Josh Taylor vs. Jose Zepeda Being Worked Out, Says Top Rank Prez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
    To stay at 140, and not give Catterall a rematch is a cowardly act! The only good thing is maybe this means we get Teofimo Lopez Jr. vs. Arnold Barboza Jr.??? MAN UP!
    He cant though. He's just lost one belt. To fight Catterall means losing the WBC belt aldo as that mandatory has been called. And if the WBC mandatory doesn't happen, then the IBF will be right in ordering their mandatory, unless they can produce a signed contract before the order is called. So basically Taylor would only have the WBO belt left for a Catterall rematch, and he doesn't want to give up the belts until he gets a shot at 147. It seems its only Canelo that can be undisputed and not be bothered by mandatories. Hope we get Lopez, Barboza jr. That's a good one. And I think Taylor, Zepeda is too.

Comment

2nd Thoughts about moving up or maybe because Top Rank just doesn't have anything for him at 147 now that Crawford is Gone. Surprised he wants to stay and force himself to make 140, he is a big 140 as well so not sure this is the right decision BUT the easy fights for them to make are at 140: Zepeda, Barboza, Teofimo...

Comment

Catterall fight was hella boring..

this fight is much much better option

Comment

Originally posted by Rodtang View Post

His goal is to go after a title at 147. He's stated that repeatedly. But a Crawford fight is no longer an option. So he'll stay at 140 until a shot is on. He's said he doesnt want to give up the belts he's worked hard for. I think he'll take this Zepeda fight, and then fight for the WBO, which will probably be vacant by that time. He has mandatory entitlement. He just has to make sure he doesn't bugger it up lol.
          We're assuming Crawford vs Spence gets made but anything can happen and when boxing tides shift, all sorts of things result.
          Rodtang likes this.

Comment

He wants to fight for a world title at 147. Not take non title fights. He'll prefer defending the title's he's worked hard for, rather than non title fights he can't get motivated for. The bottom line also is that TR have no WW to give him, but have 140 guys in abundance. And there's not a lot of good welter matches to be made for a TR fighter in general. Crawford's record at 147 proves that. So Taylor will stay at 147 until most probably the WBO belt becomes vacant at 147. Crawford and Spence will fight each other then move up. And Crawford and TR won't do buisness again, considering Crawford has a lawsuit against them.
            I've seen cases where business involved in lawsuits still conduct business such as with TR or he could fight Spence but he has to become a mandatory to force his hand. It comes down to if Taylor can still make 140 and if not, he has to go to 147 and see what happens.

Comment

If Taylor doesn’t move up, he’s going to lose even more credibility than he already has. That was the entire case for the Catterall performance and rematch

He was never wildly popular in the first place, so let’s call it a slight dip from grace

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post

We're assuming Crawford vs Spence gets made but anything can happen and when boxing tides shift, all sorts of things result.
                Yeah that's true. I think it will be made. There seems more positivity around it than before.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post

I've seen cases where business involved in lawsuits still conduct business such as with TR or he could fight Spence but he has to become a mandatory to force his hand. It comes down to if Taylor can still make 140 and if not, he has to go to 147 and see what happens.
                  I think his last camp was terrible. He started it carrying more weight than usual, after indulging a little too much, after the Ramirez fight. His camp was then stopped with his knee injury. He was out in Vegas getting treatment. He was still training but not in camp. And he most probably was indulging again out there. They also had a trip out to Dubai, then your into Christmas. So he probably didn't start really shifting weight until January, which didn't give him much time. He made weight, but the cut would have been more severe. Next camp they should hopefully sort that out. He already went back to the gym in far better shape, they say.

Comment

Catterall will forever remain a stain on his CV. Gutless of him not to rematch him now he's staying at 140.

Comment

He cant though. He's just lost one belt. To fight Catterall means losing the WBC belt aldo as that mandatory has been called. And if the WBC mandatory doesn't happen, then the IBF will be right in ordering their mandatory, unless they can produce a signed contract before the order is called. So basically Taylor would only have the WBO belt left for a Catterall rematch, and he doesn't want to give up the belts until he gets a shot at 147. It seems its only Canelo that can be undisputed and not be bothered by mandatories. Hope we get Lopez, Barboza jr. That's a good one. And I think Taylor, Zepeda is too.
                      I would rather he (and Charlo) give up the belts, and make the best fight! I think Taylor in a rematch with Ramirez, Prograis, or Catterall, are better fights than Zepeda!

Comment

Working...
                      X