Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mikey Garcia On Loss To Sandor Martin: 'No Big Deal, It's Not End Of World'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after that performance, he will need to accept short money against a known fighter and win if he expects to resume his career. He is not a superstar. He has never been a superstar. His career would have been far better if he stayed with Top Rank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
      You think he needs another tune up after that one though Still? Still weird that he didn't figure Sandor out over ten. Mikey should have been able to beat him.
      Nah man, no more tune ups...Martin was supposed to be a tune up lol....It's not about figuring out Martin, he knew what Martin was doing but he just could not pull the trigger the way he is accustomed to doing so and could not catch Martin clean. Guys like Martin can be big spoilers to those with classic boxing styles. Morales did MUCH better vs Pacquiao, even in the rematch than he did against Zahir Raheem who moved and was slick. It just happens that way sometimes. If he fights Prograis, he will have someone who will fight right in the pocket and give Mikey plenty of opportunities to land counter punches. He also does not get up to fight guys like Martin. So unless he is motivated to get revenge, I say just move on to a bigger name.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
        No surprise..... Mikey don't care too much obviously,
        I tend to forget he wanted to be a police officer in his Featherweight days but stuck to boxing, because....I mean, who knows why. I believe that's what got him as far as he's come...not caring all that much but caring enough to stay in shape and stick to fundamentals. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post

I tend to forget he wanted to be a police officer in his Featherweight days but stuck to boxing, because....I mean, who knows why. I believe that's what got him as far as he's come...not caring all that much but caring enough to stay in shape and stick to fundamentals. Lol
          I mean he was born into boxing, it's a family tradition, plus I think that Top Rank lawsuit changed his Outlook of his career

Comment

I mean he was born into boxing, it's a family tradition, plus I think that Top Rank lawsuit changed his Outlook of his career
            That's also true. Isn't it always the ones who have the world at their feet that seem to take it for granted? I'm not saying that's exactly what Mikey's dealt with but he seemed to have a "take it or leave it" attitude about the sport in his lighter days.

Please help me explain your view(s) on the lawsuit. I'm genuinely curious because you may have more details that support that observation so to speak. I just remember him not fighting for nearly 3 years because he either chose to sit out or he was shelved.

Comment

While he's 100% right, it's clear that he's not the same fighter from a few years ago by a long way, but, at the same time, this is how you know a fighter is done. When he becomes civilized, when he starts to accept losses. His family is boxing royalty and really he doesn't have to box anymore to live comfortably. That's the end, friends.
              champion4ever likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post

That's also true. Isn't it always the ones who have the world at their feet that seem to take it for granted? I'm not saying that's exactly what Mikey's dealt with but he seemed to have a "take it or leave it" attitude about the sport in his lighter days.

Please help me explain your view(s) on the lawsuit. I'm genuinely curious because you may have more details that support that observation so to speak. I just remember him not fighting for nearly 3 years because he either chose to sit out or he was shelved.
                Yeah it's like he was a different person afterwards, he was more into the business side, and made some weird career choices. Picking Spence over Loma? Seemed very Amir Khan-ish.

Then it's like we saw him sitting in his car talking to that female reporter more than we saw him training or at the gym

Comment

Yeah it's like he was a different person afterwards, he was more into the business side, and made some weird career choices. Picking Spence over Loma? Seemed very Amir Khan-ish.

Then it's like we saw him sitting in his car talking to that female reporter more than we saw him training or at the gym
                  All of this!

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

Nah man, no more tune ups...Martin was supposed to be a tune up lol....It's not about figuring out Martin, he knew what Martin was doing but he just could not pull the trigger the way he is accustomed to doing so and could not catch Martin clean. Guys like Martin can be big spoilers to those with classic boxing styles. Morales did MUCH better vs Pacquiao, even in the rematch than he did against Zahir Raheem who moved and was slick. It just happens that way sometimes. If he fights Prograis, he will have someone who will fight right in the pocket and give Mikey plenty of opportunities to land counter punches. He also does not get up to fight guys like Martin. So unless he is motivated to get revenge, I say just move on to a bigger name.
                    You're right. It wasn't a good fight and maybe Martin beats Mikey again. Even if I do think he should beat him, it could be a bad style for him. There are still better fights.

Comment

Mikey had a great career but now it's time for him to call it a career and retire. He just doesn't have fighting in him anymore. The hunger and passion he once had for the sport is gone and is no longer there.

He is just a mercenary boxer at this point who is only taking fights for the money. His performance against Sandor Martin was very reminiscent of Erik Morales' performance against Zahir Raheem. Just as Sandor Martin was; Raheem was another over matched opponent.

It was also a fight in which Erik Morales lost. His career went downhill after that fight. He was never the same fighter again. So Mikey needs to retire now while he have both his faculties and money in tact..

Comment

Working...
                      X