Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do People In The UK Like Anthony Joshua so much more than Fury?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've been following Fury since the first Chisora fight. He didn't exactly become "must see" until the second fight though.

    After Wlad he should have become an absolute superstar. But then he disappeared for 2.5 years. Fought two relative nobodies. Fought Wilder. Fought two relative nobodies. Fought Wilder again. Fought Wilder again. 7 fights in the last 6 years since the Wlad win. It seems like he has wasted his best years away.

    Joshua meanwhile has fought 12 times in that same span. Consistently fighting at least 2-3 times a year. He's been all over the media constantly while Fury has disappeared for long periods of time and people move on especially when they have no idea when and if he'll actually come back and fight somebody worthwhile.

    Maybe his Irish Gypsy identity and/or politically incorrect comments have something to do with it. I think the major issue is promotion and lack of activity though.
    Last edited by KingOfGlory; 10-14-2021, 10:07 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post

      he was raised in a nice house and went to a posh school. Joshua was raised on a council

      https://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/p...ght/index.html
      thats great for tyson, he must be a total spoofer so as i remember him in an interview telling me he was worked very hard as a child helping his dad with cement and didnt get much schooling and it stood to him as an adult, idk maybe he is a master liar

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Smash View Post

        thats great for tyson, he must be a total spoofer so as i remember him in an interview telling me he was worked very hard as a child helping his dad with cement and didnt get much schooling and it stood to him as an adult, idk maybe he is a master liar

        he left school age 12 and did work with his dad. That part is definitely true.

        Its not like he was born privileged per se, his dad was just a hard worker and provided for his family and his give them a decent home. Some people equate that to being privileged, it’s not, it should be the norm. But we live in a world where large amounts fathers run off and never provide for their kids.

        John Fury was just a hard grafter, it’s not like he was working in an office job 9-5 earning a big salary.

        Obviously his uncle Peter was in the drug game, so probably had plenty of money.


        see, it’s funny, people equate having a tough upbringing with things like your dad running off and leaving the kids with nothing in a crap neighbourhood. But that often results in a lot of people being lazy and expecting the government to pay for them, that can be a soft upbringing .

        On the flip side, you might have have a family with a dad like John Fury that worked hard to give his family some kind of comfort and instilled a work ethic into his kids, made them work and that makes them tougher.

        People look at it back to front
        Last edited by deathofaclown; 10-15-2021, 06:54 AM.
        Smash likes this.

        Comment


        • Anthony Joshua is worshipped in the south of England, and even that is on the wane. You have to remember, London is like another country. In the north, boxing fans are a lot more knowledgable, and Tyson Fury has always been lauded as the People's Champ. With Joshua losing and Fury winning recently, it feels like the scales have tipped massively in Fury's favour all over the country. A lot of fickle AJ/Matchroom fans have jumped ship recently. People are starting to mock AJ in a similar way that Audley Harrison used to get mocked.
          Last edited by W1LL; 10-15-2021, 07:17 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            It has been very educational to hear some across the pond, and who understand British society wage a war of words... I enjoy everybody's perspective, not sure there is a right or wrong... I do think there are always people marginalized... I can definitely see a relationship between Fury and his supposed Travelor heritage and some of the American Indian Tribes... people don't know but some tribes are very rich because of gambling, while others are really poor.

            There are always those marginalized. Thats a reality.

            Can a Brit tell me if a "council estate" is like what we call the "projects?" here in the states?
            Council flats are like the projects in the US.

            Fury’s group, Irish travellers (also called Gypsies like the rest of the traveller community) aren’t like American Indians - they’re basically an Irish group who embraced the traveller culture. They’re Irish by DNA and everything else except culture.

            In American context: they’re like the American Mormons in Utah who’re basically white Americans albeit they have different lifestyle/beliefs/culture - from the mainstream American culture. However, their uniqueness doesn’t negate who they’re (white Americans) or subject them to being discriminated against.

            Now, there’s a separate gypsy (traveller) group in the UK called, “Romanis”. These are migrants in the U.K. and all over Europe with no homeland. But historically, they’re are from the Indian subcontinent and migrated into Europe hundreds of years ago and they look different. Most of them look like a cross between Indians and Turks. Those are the gypsies who mostly face discrimination in the U.K.

            Once people understand the difference between Irish travellers and Romani Gypsies - they will get a clearer picture. The former are quintessentially Irish (Gaelic) from Ireland while the latter are Indo-Aryan originally from the Indian subcontinent.
            Last edited by BangEM; 10-15-2021, 07:25 AM.
            billeau2 likes this.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post


              he left school age 12 and did work with his dad. That part is definitely true.
              At the end of the day fury is a brit, he was born and grew up in the uk, just like joshua, would joshua and fury like to move to their parents home countries, im not so sure about that, they are what they are, aj is clean cut and fury is mad, probably just like their families

              i respect all fighters even crap ones as there is bravery and their is toughness, all are brave but some are tougher than others, fury so far is just tougher than joshua and most others and thats probably a product of his upbringing and genetics, he wants it so bad in the ring, id say fury had the harder upbringing, all this council estate stuff is over rated, most are lazy nobodies and soft too, just my opinion

              also in society there are always people at the top and people at the bottom, from what i read gypsies or irish travellers or whatever they are, are at the bottom, the stats for living dying jobs everything are the worst, there ya go

              Comment


              • Who gives a damn. Fury beats AJ every day. i don`t care what British casuals think because I am not even British.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Smash View Post

                  At the end of the day fury is a brit, he was born and grew up in the uk, just like joshua, would joshua and fury like to move to their parents home countries, im not so sure about that, they are what they are, aj is clean cut and fury is mad, probably just like their families

                  i respect all fighters even crap ones as there is bravery and their is toughness, all are brave but some are tougher than others, fury so far is just tougher than joshua and most others and thats probably a product of his upbringing and genetics, he wants it so bad in the ring, id say fury had the harder upbringing, all this council estate stuff is over rated, most are lazy nobodies and soft too, just my opinion

                  also in society there are always people at the top and people at the bottom, from what i read gypsies or irish travellers or whatever they are, are at the bottom, the stats for living dying jobs everything are the worst, there ya go
                  Plus at the end of the day it’s just a lot down to being a driven and determined individual. Some people are just tougher and more determined than others.

                  I mean, take Eddie Hearn, He come from a huge house and a rich father but can you really criticise his work ethic or drive? Not at all. Had he been born into a different family and become a boxer or anything else, there’s obviously something within him that makes him so driven that would probably make him tough in whatever career he landed in. Yet there is people who were probably born in very similar circumstances to him that have no work ethic.

                  And that’s exactly the same for people who are born all across the spectrum of wealth and geographical areas

                  Marco Antonio Barrera come from a family with money, but he was a warrior. His parents were probably very driven people in their field of work which probably influenced his upbringing and drive.

                  It really doesn’t matter where you come from.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post

                    Plus at the end of the day it’s just a lot down to being a driven and determined individual. Some people are just tougher and more determined than others.

                    I mean, take Eddie Hearn, He come from a huge house and a rich father but can you really criticise his work ethic or drive? Not at all. Had he been born into a different family and become a boxer or anything else, there’s obviously something within him that makes him so driven that would probably make him tough in whatever career he landed in. Yet there is people who were probably born in very similar circumstances to him that have no work ethic.

                    And that’s exactly the same for people who are born all across the spectrum of wealth and geographical areas

                    Marco Antonio Barrera come from a family with money, but he was a warrior. His parents were probably very driven people in their field of work which probably influenced his upbringing and drive.

                    It really doesn’t matter where you come from.
                    Tough people aren’t born - they are made. And there’s a difference between being tough, ego and hard working.

                    Hearn became hard working due to being motivated by the huge lump of money that fell on his lap and the result-driven competitive environment he’s in. That’s an easy thing to do when there’s already a structure in place and it’s something you love doing.

                    Barrera’s exploit in the ring had more to do with ego.

                    Now back to being tough - tough people are made via the environment, influences, culture and upbringing. People are mostly a product of their environment. Admittedly, I’d say Fury is a tough bloke and that has a lot to do with his culture and those he has always been around. However, it doesn’t negate the fact that he has always been privileged.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post

                      Plus at the end of the day it’s just a lot down to being a driven and determined individual. Some people are just tougher and more determined than others.

                      I mean, take Eddie Hearn, He come from a huge house and a rich father but can you really criticise his work ethic or drive? Not at all. Had he been born into a different family and become a boxer or anything else, there’s obviously something within him that makes him so driven that would probably make him tough in whatever career he landed in. Yet there is people who were probably born in very similar circumstances to him that have no work ethic.

                      And that’s exactly the same for people who are born all across the spectrum of wealth and geographical areas

                      Marco Antonio Barrera come from a family with money, but he was a warrior. His parents were probably very driven people in their field of work which probably influenced his upbringing and drive.

                      It really doesn’t matter where you come from.
                      thats very true

                      in theory people from poor backgrounds want to be successful more as they have experienced poverty and dont want it for them or their families so they are driven to succeed at all costs but not always, in some countries u can stay on benefits for almost life, in other countries u have to work to access any benefits and thats where u get more motivated individuals, they have no choice, sink or swim, no safety net, maybe a line for food, thats it

                      eddie is a grafter, ill give him that, boxing is a tough sport, we only see the successful ones usually

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X
                      TOP