Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: David Haye: What Triller is Doing With Legends is Like The Expendables

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: David Haye: What Triller is Doing With Legends is Like The Expendables

By Thomas Gerbasi - Whatever David Haye is getting paid by Triller for his Saturday bout with friend and temporary rival Joe Fournier is not nearly enough. Simply put, the former cruiserweight and heavyweight champion, who has always been gifted at selling a fight, is in promotional overdrive for this card, which is headlined by a matchup pitting 58-year-old Evander Holyfield against former UFC champion Vitor Belfort and a clash of two more former UFC stars in Anderson Silva and Tito Ortiz.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I wish all the fighters the best. I have yearly subscriptions to Friday and Saturday boxing shows.

Comment

So in other words, tacky and kinda crap
      TinAgeOfBoxing TinAgeOfBoxing likes this.

Comment

He's having a sparring match with his mate who isn't a real boxer.

I hope nobody watches this

Comment

The first one sucked never tried to watch the others.

Comment

Expendables is a good analogy - a good idea on paper that starts off entertaining but was awful and hard to watch by 2nd movie
            TinAgeOfBoxing TinAgeOfBoxing likes this.

Comment

David Haye is right.

"Hardcore" boxing fans complain about youtubers and retired fighters taking the spotlight. Then when real fighters get on PPV, nobody cares.

How many fans would buy a PPV headlined by prime Roman Gonzalez as the A-side? 20k-50k fans? How about Ivan Calderon? Terence Crawford? Artur Beterbiev? Oleksandr Usyk? Naoya Inoue? Shawn Porter? etc.

Fans like to say one thing, but their wallets like to say another thing. Hardcore fans wallet's speak a different language than their owners.

Before boxing became all about skills and who can beat who, and who is a bum, who's the best, etc, boxing was all about entertainment. Hey how would like to earn money and entertain crowds by fighting? You're down? Okay, join our boxing club.

Guys like the Paul brothers would have been right at home with the rest of the fighters of the early 1900s.

The sport evolved, became more sophisticated, more rules and regulations, attracted more "athletes" rather than Bob the out of shape bartender from New Jersey.

Fans naturally still prefer entertainment over skills. Boxing has always been about entertainment. Who can get fans, whether they are hated or loved? Who can attract fans? That's boxing.

So David Haye is right. Fans want to be entertained. A youtube star who is clearly flawed and would not make it vs elite or good fighters, attracts fans. That pique's fans interest. People want to see if he is getting KO'ed, or if he can win. People want to see old ass Tyson to see if he can fight even at 10% of his prime.

With that said, yes I speak with my wallet, by not buying any exhibitions. None. Not Tyson-Jones, not Mayweather exhibitions, whatever, etc. Am I complaining? No, I just won't buying it, but hundreds of thousands or over a million other people looking for entertainment, would.

Am I saying that ALL hardcore fans don't show support to real boxing PPV's? No, of course there are hardcore fans who buy unpopular PPV's. It's just that it looks like the majority of hardcore fans (or those who claim to be) are absent for the paid PPV viewing.

Fact Fact krazy_d3 krazy_d3 like this.

Comment

It's true, it's for a different market, but not all of them are legends. Who the heck is Joe Fournier?

But anyway, today's top guys don't want to fight each other, except a few. The business model of boxing is broken, so that's why we don't see enough of the best fighting the best, unlike ten or fifteen years ago.

Comment

Get the feeling this Fournier guy will actually try to spark his mate on TV just so he could say he battered a former heavyweight champ.

Comment

Interesting how with all his "documented" injuries...he never mentioned the broken toe.
                    krazy_d3 krazy_d3 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X