Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: David Price Reflects on His Time in The Olympics, Winning Medal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRINCEKOOL
    replied
    Originally posted by Toffee View Post

That's right. Everyone on here complains about the right fights not being made. Amateur boxing is a much purer form of the sport. Though they've made a mistake allowing pros in.

You look at Frazer Clarke. He could be a decent pro right now, but he's been pushing for that Olympic chance. In a sport that's so rotten at the pro level, you've got to respect those kind of stories.
    A Olympic Gold Medal is has more prestige than any professional world titles. Over time boxing world titles and most titles in professional combat sports have lost their prestige.

It is the pinnacle of pure competition. Professional sports are more about business, and have a tacky feel to their title.

To be a Olympian, and more so a Olympic Champion in in a 100 years time will still carry prestige.

Audley Harrison's Olympic Gold Medal was still probably one of British boxing's greatest achievements of the past 25 years. Due to how long the United Kingdom had not won the title, and how that catalytic performance sparked everything 'Harrison started it all, the resurgence of British amateur boxing at elite level in my opinion'.

Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 07-23-2021, 04:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Toffee
    replied
    Originally posted by Tecnoworld View Post

At least in olympic boxing you can't avoid opponents and you are not protected by managers. The fact is that not all the best boxers stay at the am level and prefer to move immediately to pro.

Ps Italian Cammarelle never turned pro yet he was gold + silver (losing to aj...yet winning)
    That's right. Everyone on here complains about the right fights not being made. Amateur boxing is a much purer form of the sport. Though they've made a mistake allowing pros in.

You look at Frazer Clarke. He could be a decent pro right now, but he's been pushing for that Olympic chance. In a sport that's so rotten at the pro level, you've got to respect those kind of stories.
    Tecnoworld Tecnoworld likes this.

Leave a comment:

• Tecnoworld
    replied
    Originally posted by Toffee View Post
    Is it harder to win a pro championship or to become an Olympic gold medalist?

​​​​​

I love Olympic boxing.
    At least in olympic boxing you can't avoid opponents and you are not protected by managers. The fact is that not all the best boxers stay at the am level and prefer to move immediately to pro.

Ps Italian Cammarelle never turned pro yet he was gold + silver (losing to aj...yet winning)

Leave a comment:

• BigZ44
    replied
    WarPrice4Ever!! Hope to see Big Dave return to the ring soon to smash some souls!

Leave a comment:

• Toffee
    replied
    Is it harder to win a pro championship or to become an Olympic gold medalist?

​​​​​

I love Olympic boxing.

Leave a comment:

• RJJ-94-02=GOAT
    replied
    Originally posted by jjho View Post
    This guy is a joke does anyone care what he says
    He was a world class amateur and won domestic titles as a pro. That’s a great career for most guys.

Leave a comment:

• Monty Fisto
    replied
    Originally posted by Nash out View Post

Multisport event, yes, but I don't get why a boxer would put that much stock into it. Audley Harrison won Olympic Gold, but he was never even top 30 in the world HW as a pro. I really like Price, I watch all of his fights and I root for him, I also think he is a great pundit, but that he won a Bronze at the Olympics just doesn't mean a thing as far as achievements in boxing go.
    Yes, naturally, it's a given that amateur boxing is a different beast to professional and being good in the former only sometimes translates into success in the latter.

From Ali to Foreman to SRL to Loma to Joshua, there's enough big name boxers that went down this route -- though you're absolutely right that the Olympic achievement is not what makes them of note -- that I think a lot of people still look to the Olympics to get a glimpse into who might possibly be some of the stars of the future.

I'm sure a gold medal certainly helps to open a few doors. It's like a promotional stepping stone.

Leave a comment:

• Nash out
    replied
    Originally posted by Bornboxingfan View Post

I am surprised with your statement "A bronze medal at the olympics doesn't mean a thing in boxing" .
    It doesn't guarantee success in the pros, but its used as measuring stick by top promoters, managers
    and trainers and I am not a self proclaimed boxing Historian.
    Being a good amateur to me is not as important as others may consider it to be. It can be helpful, but so can become a pro early. Sure promoters do want to land on medallists, but that's mainly cashing on the current hype around the guy. Everybody wanted Audley, yet he was an absolutely garbage professional boxer, though he did talk himself into one of the most undeserving title shots ever, where he landed a grand total of 1 punch, before being knocked out in the 3rd round.

Having a lot of amateur fights can be important to build up that in ring experience, but that absolutely does not need to involve going to the Olympics. Canelo and Tyson Fury aren't walking around with Olympic medals, but they are the two hardest guys in the world to beat P4P today. Nash out
    Bornboxingfan Bornboxingfan likes this.

Leave a comment:

• Smash
    replied
    An olympic medal is the pinnacle of a lot of sports, just not for boxers, tennis, football etc, but id watch any sport in the olympics personally as i realise how difficult it is to get there for a lot of olympic sports where it is the top prize

Leave a comment:

• Bornboxingfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Nash out View Post

Multisport event, yes, but I don't get why a boxer would put that much stock into it. Audley Harrison won Olympic Gold, but he was never even top 30 in the world HW as a pro. I really like Price, I watch all of his fights and I root for him, I also think he is a great pundit, but that he won a Bronze at the Olympics just doesn't mean a thing as far as achievements in boxing go.
    I am surprised with your statement "A bronze medal at the olympics doesn't mean a thing in boxing" .
    It doesn't guarantee success in the pros, but its used as measuring stick by top promoters, managers
    and trainers and I am not a self proclaimed boxing Historian.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X