Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn To Expand To Australia, Japan, Canada, Germany: The Goal is 'Global Domination'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BritishBoxing92
    replied
    Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

This feels more of a DAZN thing than a Eddie thing to me. Not that Eddie's ego isn't fully onboard with it, but does anyone reallllllly think Eddie is going to Aussieland, Japan, Canada & Germany & gonna start signing up all the top talent? I mean look what he did with his US venture. He signed the best guys available, which looked very Roc Nation-ish & only had slightly more impact than Roc Nation while bringing all these UK guys to the US. I suspect these new ventures into new countries will look very similar & its about providing DAZN with world wide content thats more relevant to these other regions than true "global domination".

Idk, we will obviously see doe, but based on the lackluster US run I'm not expecting anything more than decent content for these other regions & nothing close to domination. Maybe if Eddie is lucky he can backdoor his way into some big names in these countries like he did with Canelo, but beyond that I have low expectations. Definitely needs to sign up Tim Tszyu doe. Get that guy fighting outside of Aussieland.
    You make a fair point...

one can only assume that he is being backed or enticed by some higher ups or business people to be able to make such claims and trying to bring his plans off expansion to fruition..

who knows its a possibility he knows or has some information or striked up some deals which is now allowing him the resources to outsource and try to make his efforts go to a global stage so to speak to increase his profits and also make his brand name for his promotion grow to another level...

Leave a comment:

• Eff Pandas
    replied
    Originally posted by BritishBoxing92 View Post
    Intriguing...

I see he is attempting to make his company brand bigger and more lucrative in the boxing business so now he is looking beyond the U.K. or America in general and is trying to extend his roster/stable off fighters to those countries he mentioned..

question is will his gamble pay off with getting talent from those countries and be a success in the long run? or will the idea perhaps flop down the line and hit a dead end? only time will tell..
    This feels more of a DAZN thing than a Eddie thing to me. Not that Eddie's ego isn't fully onboard with it, but does anyone reallllllly think Eddie is going to Aussieland, Japan, Canada & Germany & gonna start signing up all the top talent? I mean look what he did with his US venture. He signed the best guys available, which looked very Roc Nation-ish & only had slightly more impact than Roc Nation while bringing all these UK guys to the US. I suspect these new ventures into new countries will look very similar & its about providing DAZN with world wide content thats more relevant to these other regions than true "global domination".

Idk, we will obviously see doe, but based on the lackluster US run I'm not expecting anything more than decent content for these other regions & nothing close to domination. Maybe if Eddie is lucky he can backdoor his way into some big names in these countries like he did with Canelo, but beyond that I have low expectations. Definitely needs to sign up Tim Tszyu doe. Get that guy fighting outside of Aussieland.

Leave a comment:

• Eff Pandas
    replied
    World Wide Euro Bum Tour Coming Soon!!!!

Leave a comment:

• _Rexy_
    replied
    Originally posted by Apollo7 View Post

If they wanted an easy fight for Warrington, surely they would have gotten someone who they know isn't a threat. Not some young, hungry dangerous puncher on a winning streak. Doesn't make sense. Seems more likely they didn't feel the need to get a soft touch for Warrington because he was quite proven, experienced and was supposed to be one of the top guys in the division.
    Warrington had literally just dropped his title to avoid rematching Kid Galahad, not to mention that Lara wasn't even ranked. While yes, he was on a winning streak, his last five opponents had a collective record of 67-30-8

The fight was made to make Warrington look good IMO. Showcase fight.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo7
    replied
    Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

Avanesyan was competitive in the eyes of a lot of us who knew what Kelly really was, but Lara was supposed to be a mismatch. No different than what they tried on the Canelo card with Soto/Takayama (38 year old career minimum weight who had one fight in five years and took the fight on a months notice) that was supposed to be a highlight reel knockout for Soto. These promoters are using the WWF model from the 90's where everyone gets a "squash match" problem is, this is ****ing real.
    If they wanted an easy fight for Warrington, surely they would have gotten someone who they know isn't a threat. Not some young, hungry dangerous puncher on a winning streak. Doesn't make sense. Seems more likely they didn't feel the need to get a soft touch for Warrington because he was quite proven, experienced and was supposed to be one of the top guys in the division.

Leave a comment:

• Toffee
    replied
    Originally posted by Kiowhatta View Post
    I have resided in Australia all my life and have been a boxing fan for 25 years.

We are desperate for not only investment but real change - Hearn better do his homework on Australian boxing's power brokers, as it can be a pit of snakes.

I am happy that a major promoter who appears to also have a genuine passion for boxing wants to lift the sport out of the doldrums and back, front and centre as a major sport.

Once upon a time here boxing was a front-page news story and major talking point. Now it hardly gets a mention. Bring it on Eddie.
    Definitely. I've been in Australia for 18 years.

Decent local fights go on Main Event PPV for $60 so there's no eyes on local talent. Overseas events are either hidden on Main Event or don't even get broadcast.

And don't get me started on the Barry Hall, Paul Gallen type stuff. That they are the 'big events' here is just sad.

There's a market here if someone has the nuts to actually promote the sport. I'm sure there are other examples around the world.

Leave a comment:

• Beercules
    replied
    Sounding like the 4th Reich

Leave a comment:

• _Rexy_
    replied
    Originally posted by Apollo7 View Post

Kelly/Avanesyan was always a competetive match up. Lara was pretty unknown but was said to be a mexican with punching power. That usually makes for a dangerous opponent and an entertaining fight. I don't even like Hearn as a person, never have but it makes sense that he would intentionally put on competetive, entertaining fights. It's in his is interest as that's what fans want.
    Avanesyan was competitive in the eyes of a lot of us who knew what Kelly really was, but Lara was supposed to be a mismatch. No different than what they tried on the Canelo card with Soto/Takayama (38 year old career minimum weight who had one fight in five years and took the fight on a months notice) that was supposed to be a highlight reel knockout for Soto. These promoters are using the WWF model from the 90's where everyone gets a "squash match" problem is, this is ****ing real.

Leave a comment:

• _Rexy_
    replied
    In all honesty, if any promotion/network were to pick up the Japanese fights I'd be all for that. I could give two ****s what network it is

Leave a comment:

• Apollo7
    replied
    Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

Or they'll just discuss boxing, on a boxing discussion board.
    Kelly/Avanesyan was always a competetive match up. Lara was pretty unknown but was said to be a mexican with punching power. That usually makes for a dangerous opponent and an entertaining fight. I don't even like Hearn as a person, never have but it makes sense that he would intentionally put on competetive, entertaining fights. It's in his interest as that's what fans want.
    Last edited by Apollo7; 05-17-2021, 06:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X