Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the minimum height needed to be a legitimate threat in todays heavyweight division era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the minimum height needed to be a legitimate threat in todays heavyweight division era?

I figured out the minimum height for all the other divisions, but I'm having trouble with this one.

If holding was punished more, height/arm length wouldn't be the massive advantage it currently is. It's tough enough getting inside of someone with those advantages only to be held and broke up, achieving nothing. What's the average height of the top 10? I know the top 3 are all over 6'5.

Comment

All I know is there’s no way Andy Ruiz is 6’2. Almost everyone that saw him in person doubt he’s even 6ft.

Most heights are exaggerated. Boxrec have Parker’s height as 6’4 but I’ve stood next to him and I’m just over 6’1 and he wasn’t any taller than me really. Andy Lee looks taller than Parker in pictures and Lee is 6’2”, so that seems right.

Chisora is listed as 6’1+ but from what I’ve seen, he’s 6ft max.

I think most are adding 1 or 2 inches onto heights. AJ said he is 6’5 but boxrec have him as 6’6.

Fury seems closer to 6’7.5” than 6’9, however he has terrible posture. If he stood up straight, he could be 6’8+

I do think generally it’ll be a struggle for anyone genuinely under 6ft in today’s era.

Comment

5'5 like that heavyweight that fought Holyfield

Comment

Originally posted by PunchMeIDareYou View Post
          5'5 like that heavyweight that fought Holyfield
          In todays HW era?

Comment

gotta be above 6ft ... anything less than that, you will struggle.

Comment

I think 5'10 is the minimum but they have to be built like David Tua.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                All I know is there’s no way Andy Ruiz is 6’2. Almost everyone that saw him in person doubt he’s even 6ft.

Most heights are exaggerated. Boxrec have Parker’s height as 6’4 but I’ve stood next to him and I’m just over 6’1 and he wasn’t any taller than me really. Andy Lee looks taller than Parker in pictures and Lee is 6’2”, so that seems right.

Chisora is listed as 6’1+ but from what I’ve seen, he’s 6ft max.

I think most are adding 1 or 2 inches onto heights. AJ said he is 6’5 but boxrec have him as 6’6.

Fury seems closer to 6’7.5” than 6’9, however he has terrible posture. If he stood up straight, he could be 6’8+

I do think generally it’ll be a struggle for anyone genuinely under 6ft in today’s era.
                THIS.

For **** sake. Tired of arguing it with people, almost no heavyweight boxers are their listed heights. I think the SHW thing is akin more to sheer size than it is height. Joshua and Fury are absolute units. 240lbs and 270lbs respectively. Because gear is pretty commonplace, it means that fighters are bigger than ever. I dont really think reach and size makes all the difference either. It is likely a real struggle for someone under 6ft, but I actually think 6ft4-5 (Wlad's apparent height...he's damn sure not 6'6 either) is the ideal height for a heavyweight to be. I don't think Fury has done enough to show that his size means he is in a class of his own.

Comment

To dominate the division you need to be a 6'5+, 240+ lbs super-heavyweight (as we have seen since Lewis and the Klitschko's) but you could be 5'9 like Tua or Tyson at 200+ lbs and cause an upset because there is usually a puncher's chance in heavyweight boxing.

Comment

More than the height, you must be built like a tank and be ready to hit with the intention of killing the other guy. If that is the case, even a 5'10" guy can compete (Mike Tyson style). Otherwise, 6'2"+ and a decent punch with decent skills.

Comment

Working...
                    X