Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shannon Courtenay is the real deal. Comes with plenty of hype, needle in the build-up, and action-packed fights!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannon Courtenay is the real deal. Comes with plenty of hype, needle in the build-up, and action-packed fights!

God dang!

I have never been a big fan. Found it amusing when the Eddie Hearn/Matchroom Massive jumped on her bandwagon, just "cuz Hearn said so". She has a brash attitude which comes across as arrogance, and it was amusing to see the fallout from the Rachel Ball humbling. But, having said all that, last night she put on a great show, showed so much progression inside the ring.

The pool down there at Bantamweight, for Women, is obviously very shallow. Shannon's style is a fan-friendly one, she has obviously worked on her movement a lot, but the basis of her game is still heavily reliant on slugging it out. And gosh darnit, is that fun to watch?! She has power too, which is surprising for a 117lb woman.

I know a lot of people will dismiss her as a World champion, honestly, the belt is little more than a trinket at the moment. But if she carries on making the progress she has, and looks to unify the belts, it is going to be an exciting journey. The Ball rematch is the obvious fight to make next, and after that, there's a gang of South American chica loca's ruling the division (according to BoxRec) and holding the other World titles.

Either way, I will be watching more intently from now on. I'm a fan of Katie Taylor, and Savannah Marshall looks like a beast. You can add Shannon Courtenay to the list now too, of female fighters who are worth watching. If you didn't catch the fight last night, I suggest you do! Credit to Ebanie Bridges too, she tried to back up all her talk, but she just got beat by a better fighter on the night.

IMO the only fight that matters in Women’s boxing is Marshall / Shields. Though hopefully there’ll more depth in women’s boxing outside of those two soon with how much exposure the fights are getting, kinda like how after Rousey was dethroned the competition was fierce.

Comment

Working...
    X