Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you have managed Roy Jones Jr career after defeating John Ruiz?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SweetPbfAli
    replied
    Damn sure wouldn't have went back to LHW. Maybe get the Holyfield fight and if not, retire. He wasn't going to unify and no other fights at HW would've helped his legacy. Asking him to go back down to LHW at that age would've been asking too much and nobody down there was worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Pantera_
    replied
    I would have advised him to drop down to Cruiserweight to win a title or two there and then call it a day. Belts in every division 160-Heavyweight I don't think anybody's done that before.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Wolf
    replied
    He should have retired with nothing else to prove or at the very least cherry picked Heavyweight.

Leave a comment:

• W1LL
    replied
    Should have stayed at Heavyweight and cherry-picked until the big payday arrived. Larry Holmes? George Foreman? Mike Tyson? Could have taken fights at Cruiserweight at the same time as well. Moving back to Light Heavy was a bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• joseph5620
    replied
    Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
    If you were in charge of scheduling his fights, what direction would you have taken?

He would never have dropped back down to light heavyweight it I was making the decision. Either stay at heavyweight, drop to cruiserweight, or retire with retiring being the first option.

Leave a comment:

• whollisboxing
    replied
    Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
    Roy cashed himself out after Ruiz. I would have advised him to stay at Heavyweight. He wanted a $100 mil to fight Lennox lewis, $50 Mil to fight Mike Tyson and at least $25 Mil to fight Evander Holyfield. When all of those fights fell through he decided to go back down to Light heavyweight.
    I would have taken the Tyson fight. Holyfield was older but still dangerous while Lennox was simply too big. Tyson was just going through the motions by 2003 so I would have pursued that fight out of the three you listed. After that I would have retired or made Tarver move up if he wanted to continue on

Leave a comment:

• 2Shotz
    replied
    Retire full stop. Going back down proved
    to be his undoing. Lewis would’ve killed him with range and power. Post Prison early 2000’s Tyson would’ve likely beaten him. Holyfield too. Byrd might’ve made for an interesting hwy fight but where was Jones motivation for that? Nah. For Jones, Ruiz was the cherry of the cherry picks at hwy at that time.

Leave a comment:

• StoptheFight
    replied
    Fight Tarver 1 and then retire. If he retires after the first Tarver fight he stays mythical. I still feel he is the best prime p4p fighter i've ever seen and nothing will change my mind, but I agree that his legacy is hurt by the past Tarver 1 fights.

Leave a comment:

• Marchegiano
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
    Should have retired or went to Cruiserweight. He had no reason to drop back down 175. If Tarver wanted to fight him so badly, Roy should have made him move up.

Roy could have picked up some belts at Cruiserweight, and maybe move up one more time for a cashout fight against Lewis or Tyson. Win or lose, retire afterwards.
    To match or best Fitzs.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofDempsey
    replied
    I would have brought him down to cruiserweight first. Grab a title there, and then work him back down to LHW.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X