Boxing in movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b morph View Post
    If any of you guys have never seen The Great White Hype, you need to. Funniest boxing movie ever made.
    I have seen it once.

When you posted it, it reminded me of this movie.

[Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
      I have seen it once.

When you posted it, it reminded me of this movie.

[Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]
      Play It To The Bone was okay, but I wasn't a big fan of it. It's okay and at times it's pretty funny, but its never as funny as The Great White Hype was. Its way too drawn out and at a lot of times, down right boring. It's a long, winded movie and when it does get to the finale, what boxing we do get to see, is a let down and not worth the wait. I've seen worse boxing portrayed in movies though so I don't think Play It To The Bone is the worst, but I'm not a big fan. I probably wouldn't watch it again.

With the Great White Hype, the boxing is just as bad as it is in Play It To The Bone, but it's a satire of boxing in general, so that's kind of done on purpose. But because it's a satire, boxing is the main draw and focus of the movie. Play It To The Bone is more about the relationships between the 3 main characters on a never ending road trip to Las Vegas.

And I say all of this as a Woody Harrelson fan.

I've seen The Great White Hype several times and I'll probably see it again in the future.

Comment

I think the funniest boxing movie is The Great White Hype and it's probably the most realistic look at the behind the scenes workings of boxing in general.
        Yeah I watched that the other day for the first time. It was pretty funny with all the inside jokes but it was also extremely corny and the guy who wrote Play It To The Bone was so embarrassed by the re write of The Great White Hype that he wanted his name off it entirely. Both movies are kind of **** to be honest but at least Great Hype wasn't a fake boxing movie disguised as a lame road trip movie with cringe sex scenes and other lame shoe horned **** in it.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManRumble View Post
          Yeah I watched that the other day for the first time. It was pretty funny with all the inside jokes but it was also extremely corny and the guy who wrote Play It To The Bone was so embarrassed by the re write of The Great White Hype that he wanted his name off it entirely. Both movies are kind of **** to be honest but at least Great Hype wasn't a fake boxing movie disguised as a lame road trip movie with cringe sex scenes and other lame shoe horned **** in it.
          Yeah most of the reason I liked The Great White Hype more is because it has a lot more to do with boxing than Play It To The Bone.

It was corny, but that's kind of the point because it's a satire on boxing. It has to be corny, but I'm a pretty corny guy so that's right up my alley.

Comment

Originally posted by Quercusalba View Post
            I agree. Cinderella Man has some excellently choreographed and shot boxing scenes. The film's portrayal of Max Baer's character and personality is downright shameful, but they got the fight scenes right.
            Your handle is interesting

Respect

Max Was a solid Jew... I'm Mexican Jew..
            Max was my idol

Comment

Play It To The Bone was okay, but I wasn't a big fan of it. It's okay and at times it's pretty funny, but its never as funny as The Great White Hype was. Its way too drawn out and at a lot of times, down right boring. It's a long, winded movie and when it does get to the finale, what boxing we do get to see, is a let down and not worth the wait. I've seen worse boxing portrayed in movies though so I don't think Play It To The Bone is the worst, but I'm not a big fan. I probably wouldn't watch it again.

With the Great White Hype, the boxing is just as bad as it is in Play It To The Bone, but it's a satire of boxing in general, so that's kind of done on purpose. But because it's a satire, boxing is the main draw and focus of the movie. Play It To The Bone is more about the relationships between the 3 main characters on a never ending road trip to Las Vegas.

And I say all of this as a Woody Harrelson fan.

I've seen The Great White Hype several times and I'll probably see it again in the future.
              Remind my old stanky ask to tell you don't join my family

Respect and avoid stupid ppl like me

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                Your handle is interesting

Respect

Max Was a solid Jew... I'm Mexican Jew..
                Max was my idol
                Thank you!

I worked in horticulture for a number years and learned the scientific names of a lot of plant species somewhat by osmosis.

Oaks are among my favorite trees (in terms of ornamental value but also in regards to the strength, longevity, constancy, etc. they represent), and the white oak, Quercus alba, is the state tree of Illinois --- the land of my birth.

Add to this my strong suspicion it was a name that would be available as a handle and, voila!

Comment

[QUOTE=Quercusalba;21068181]Thank you!

I worked in horticulture for a number years and learned the scientific names of a lot of plant species somewhat by osmosis.

Oaks are among my favorite trees (in terms of ornamental value but also in regards to the strength, longevity, constancy, etc. they represent), and the white oak, Quercus alba, is the state tree of Illinois --- the land of my birth.

Add to this my strong suspicion it was a name that would be available as a handle and, voila![/QUOT

Japanese guys wrap maple trees and cultivate herbs..

My wife's family sends us garlic, Milan,strawberries, rice, and jalape?o..

Furusato(hometown) food..

I wanted her uncle to grow weed... marijuana...

There's a few guys I know.. growing buds and thc levels off the charts.

If you saw how they grow figs you'd be impressed

Comment

Fight Club is one of my favorite movies.

Comment

Working...
                    X