Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Billam-Smith looks a very good, well-rounded fighter.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Billam-Smith looks a very good, well-rounded fighter.

He got robbed on Saturday night against Richard Riakporhe. Smith was easily the better boxer, weathered the storm and started to push Riakporhe back and beat him at his own game. Riakporhe was allowed to get away with all kinds of fouling; holding, pushing, leading with his head and elbows, trying to push Smith over the ropes, hit low once or twice. Billam-Smith didn't complain and just tried to give as good as he got. At the end of the fight the commentators grudgingly admitted that he'd won. He must have won about 8-4 and that's being generous to Riakporhe.

I'm not trying to be funny, but some of Billam-Smith's work, his movement, his cute boxing, standing in range riding shots and landing crisp counters, he reminded me of Joe Calzaghe some of the stuff he was doing. And as a Calzaghe-nuthugger myself, that is lofty lofty praise.

I will be very interested to see where Chris Billam-Smith goes from here, but he definately made a fan out of me. He has very good boxing ability as well as the grit to fight in the trenches. His only real criticism would be a lack of power, but again his bodywork had Riakporhe visibly wincing in pain for half of the fight. Riakporhe and Lawrence Okolie rely solely on a foul-filled brawling style, that would not be allowed anywhere but in the UK on their own promoters' show.

Comment

I watched the fight, I thought he lost narrowly, and to be honest I also thought that both of them were absolutely useless.

Comment

Originally posted by cally83 View Post
        I watched the fight, I thought he lost narrowly, and to be honest I also thought that both of them were absolutely useless.
        I disagree. Riakporhe is indeed a beast, more in the Deontay Wilder mould, and he is far from the finished article. He has questionable stamina and had never been in a grueling fight, and he clearly under-estimated Billam-Smith.

Billam-Smith on the other hand came in and done great to weather the storm. He took Riakporhe's best shots and was still standing. He began to push Riakporhe back and give as good as he was getting, and he was also clearly the better boxer.

Chris Billam-Smith was supposed to get easily dealt with. He stopped the Riakporhe hypetrain dead in it's tracks. As he said, no way they would want a rematch.

Comment

They are both rubbish. I'm probably the only other person on this forum who knows who either of these are, hence nobody else responding. Two guys, going nowhere and wouldn't be surprised if both have retired within 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by W1LL View Post
            He got robbed on Saturday night against Richard Riakporhe. Smith was easily the better boxer, weathered the storm and started to push Riakporhe back and beat him at his own game. Riakporhe was allowed to get away with all kinds of fouling; holding, pushing, leading with his head and elbows, trying to push Smith over the ropes, hit low once or twice. Billam-Smith didn't complain and just tried to give as good as he got. At the end of the fight the commentators grudgingly admitted that he'd won. He must have won about 8-4 and that's being generous to Riakporhe.

I'm not trying to be funny, but some of Billam-Smith's work, his movement, his cute boxing, standing in range riding shots and landing crisp counters, he reminded me of Joe Calzaghe some of the stuff he was doing. And as a Calzaghe-nuthugger myself, that is lofty lofty praise.

I will be very interested to see where Chris Billam-Smith goes from here, but he definately made a fan out of me. He has very good boxing ability as well as the grit to fight in the trenches. His only real criticism would be a lack of power, but again his bodywork had Riakporhe visibly wincing in pain for half of the fight. Riakporhe and Lawrence Okolie rely solely on a foul-filled brawling style, that would not be allowed anywhere but in the UK on their own promoters' show.
            Love and respect... you my go to guy for Brit and European boxers...

I appreciate your work Big Dawg... jhonny says hello.

Comment

Originally posted by W1LL View Post

I don’t think I’ve properly expressed my gratitude to you... thanks brother... respect... I don’t hide my name,,, I don’t hide my feelings... respect.. shalom.

Comment

Working...
              X