Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would've beaten a sane, Ike Ibeabuchi in the early 2000s?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who would've beaten a sane, Ike Ibeabuchi in the early 2000s?

    I always felt like Ike would've been dominant. Just as a contender, he had already out slugged a prime Tua, who would go on to beat several future champions and is always included in fantasy match ups, and who would've became champion himself had he been more disciplined. Byrd, who was also unbeaten and went on to become champion. He was the first to beat both. Had he kept his head, could Lewis, Vitali, Wlad, Holyfield, Michael Grant, Tyson etc survived against this dangerous, volume puncher that many people likened to a bigger, prime Holyfield?

  • #2
    Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
    I always felt like Ike would've been dominant. Just as a contender, he had already out slugged a prime Tua, who would go on to beat several future champions and is always included in fantasy match ups, and who would've became champion himself had he been more disciplined. Byrd, who was also unbeaten and went on to become champion. He was the first to beat both. Had he kept his head, could Lewis, Vitali, Wlad, Holyfield, Michael Grant, Tyson etc survived against this dangerous, volume puncher that many people likened to a bigger, prime Holyfield?
    Tua never beat a tall skilled heavyweight and neither did Ike. I'd pick Vits, Louis, Holyfield possibly to beat him. At that time I do think he beats Wlad.

    Comment


    • #3
      He's one of these guys who has become massively overrated in time. He was a good B level HW, nothing more. One year after his close win over David Tua, Tua edged out a majority decision win over ATG HW Jeff Wooden W18 L8. Maybe Ike Ibeabuchi vs Jeff Wooden would have been a good fight, but let's not act like this guy was anything great.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Nash out View Post
        He's one of these guys who has become massively overrated in time. He was a good B level HW, nothing more. One year after his close win over David Tua, Tua edged out a majority decision win over ATG HW Jeff Wooden W18 L8. Maybe Ike Ibeabuchi vs Jeff Wooden would have been a good fight, but let's not act like this guy was anything great.
        The pendulum swings... There is a tendency to overate Ibeabuchi, there i also a tendency to underate him. he was a fantastic talent... Good size, nothing extra, smart, good instincts, power. He was headed to a point where he might have shown greatness eventually, its not inconceviable, but yeah, he was not great yet when he fell off... and could have decended into mediocrity, much like Sam Peter did.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Tua never beat a tall skilled heavyweight and neither did Ike. I'd pick Vits, Louis, Holyfield possibly to beat him. At that time I do think he beats Wlad.
          You're right about Tua but Ike never had the chance to. He lost his marbles right when he was about to sign a multi fight HBO deal. I liked the way he approached the Byrd fight though from a stylistic standpoint. Even though he was being a bit out boxed, he kept throwing and applying pressure until he caught up. I think that pressure style would've given even rangier fighters problems, especially like Lewis and Vitali since they couldn't bang in close with him and his stamina was legit. I just wish we had a chance to see how/IF they would've fended him off. Vitali was in a shootout (and was unofficially decked by a Sanders left hook that wasn't called IMO). I think we can at least agree that Ike would be the most dangerous fighter on either of their record around that time. The heavyweight division was very weak in the early 2000s.

          I think Evander was a bit too past it to handle Ike at that time, that fight could've only happened post Lennox series where he looked closer to shot than in his hay day. At least judging from the first fight. Been a while since I've seen the second one, but I recently watched and scored the first fight and gave Holyfield just 3 rounds and even those weren't decisive.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Nash out View Post
            He's one of these guys who has become massively overrated in time. He was a good B level HW, nothing more. One year after his close win over David Tua, Tua edged out a majority decision win over ATG HW Jeff Wooden W18 L8. Maybe Ike Ibeabuchi vs Jeff Wooden would have been a good fight, but let's not act like this guy was anything great.
            Why not bring up Maskaev and Rahman who later went on to hold heavyweight titles? Tua knocked out both

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
              I always felt like Ike would've been dominant. Just as a contender, he had already out slugged a prime Tua, who would go on to beat several future champions and is always included in fantasy match ups, and who would've became champion himself had he been more disciplined. Byrd, who was also unbeaten and went on to become champion. He was the first to beat both. Had he kept his head, could Lewis, Vitali, Wlad, Holyfield, Michael Grant, Tyson etc survived against this dangerous, volume puncher that many people likened to a bigger, prime Holyfield?
              - -Translation: IF he never fought Tua who gave him his irreparable brain damage, could he beat all those other guys?

              Truth be told, if we're going that route, what if I had launched my wt training program and eaten a berry pie and half gallon of ice cream on an everyday basis instead of part time and turned pro, could Ike get past me?

              I'm faster and harder hitting than Byrd not to mention smarter.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
                I always felt like Ike would've been dominant. Just as a contender, he had already out slugged a prime Tua, who would go on to beat several future champions and is always included in fantasy match ups, and who would've became champion himself had he been more disciplined. Byrd, who was also unbeaten and went on to become champion. He was the first to beat both. Had he kept his head, could Lewis, Vitali, Wlad, Holyfield, Michael Grant, Tyson etc survived against this dangerous, volume puncher that many people likened to a bigger, prime Holyfield?
                I think Tony Galento could have beaten him. Ike had lots of trouble with Tua, who was like Galento, but a little worse.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
                  I think Tony Galento could have beaten him. Ike had lots of trouble with Tua, who was like Galento, but a little worse.
                  You're definitely joking, which is why I can't take this seriously. Guy was a Journeyman and alcoholic, and probably had the worst diet of any heavyweight that fought for a title (including Tua). He was durable and had a mean hook, but he gets stopped brutally by both Ike and Tua.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
                    You're definitely joking, which is why I can't take this seriously. Guy was a Journeyman and alcoholic, and probably had the worst diet of any heavyweight that fought for a title (including Tua). He was durable and had a mean hook, but he gets stopped brutally by both Ike and Tua.
                    I think, like most, you are underating Galanto. He was nonconventional and very bad defensively, but he was powerful as f u c, his legs were massive, and his shots could rock you.

                    I do think IBeuchi was very talented and would beat Galento. Tua...Probably as well. My heart tells me that Ibeuchi was phenomenal... But my head tells me we had to see more before he went off the reservation.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X
                    TOP