No announcement yet.

Female fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female fighters

Found this old thread, dated 2006, and wonder if we today have learned more about the issue:
    "I've just realized that I've never encountered a female fighter who was punch drunk or even exhibiting symptoms of the onset of the syndrome. Is it because women's boxing as a widespread sport is a recent phenomenon and they aren't old enough to suffer from it yet?"

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96825

The Ring recently listed the 10 greatest female KO's ever. On top of the list, Ann Wolfe's one-rnd demolition of previously undefeated Vonda Ward.

Last edited by Ben Bolt; 03-20-2014, 05:13 AM.

Not only a younger sport, but it might also be because they have fewer pro fights and the rounds are only 2 minutes instead of 3 and most go 10 rounds max. I'd be all for max 10 rounders for the men, but 3 minutes seems like a good length. I enjoyed watching Marlen Esparza and Claressa Shields boxing in the last summer Olympics.

Comment

Who are your favorites, by the way? Mine are:

Laila Ali
      Mia St. John
      Christy Martin
      Ann Wolfe
      Lucia Rijker
      Holly Holm
      Jessica Rakoczy
      Cecilia Braekhus

Rakoczy has tried her hand at MMA since leaving boxing, is about 1-4 so far, some good amateur wins though and Holly Holm has done well in MMA at 6-0 so far with 5 KOs.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Not only a younger sport, but it might also be because they have fewer pro fights and the rounds are only 2 minutes instead of 3 and most go 10 rounds max. I'd be all for max 10 rounders for the men, but 3 minutes seems like a good length. I enjoyed watching Marlen Esparza and Claressa Shields boxing in the last summer Olympics.
        also women only have about 50% the upperbody and 75% lowerbody strength of men which means less power

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Who are your favorites, by the way?.
          At the moment, I follow this lady's career with great interest. Klara Svensson, boxrec's no. 5 at light welterweight, is currently 13-0 and has been looking good thus far (and that she's good-looking isn't bad either )

Comment

The Ring Female Fighter of the Year 2013: light fly Jessica Chavez.

"... she had another banner year in 2013 fighting in her home country of Mexico, where women's boxing is not just accepted, but embraced wholeheartedly by fans, promoters and television executives."

Highlight: Chavez (17-3-2) avenged a 2009 loss to Argentinian Yesica Yolanda Bopp (24-0) by unanimous decision.

Comment

Working...
            X