Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the silence during Chavez-Taylor 1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even Chavez himself admitted that was a gift.

Comment

Yeah, his right fist connecting to Taylors already battered face with seconds left before the fight ended was a gift.

Comment

It probably wouldn't have got as much criticism if Steele wasn't involved with a few miss timed stoppages already.

Comment

I think it was a good stoppage ! I don't have an answer for your question ~

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            This has alwfays been my sentiment, and at the time i was rooting for Taylor watching it in a bar in Mexico.
            Yes I wanted Taylor too.. Was the better boxer but Chavez had more in his tank to be the stronger puncher towards the end..
            Meldrick produced a masterful display, but punched himself out in doing it

Comment

No, stopping a fight Meldrick had won on the scorecards with 2 seconds left was a gift. Again, watch Chavez' later fights and there are comments of him calling it a gift or a gift from God.

Comment

The bottom line is that a round lasts 3 full minutes. not 2:58 seconds. chavez rendered Taylor unable to continue within the time frame of the round . to say taylor should have been allowed to finish the round because he was ahead on the cards would have robbed Chavez of a well earned victory.
                dreamroom dreamroom likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by istmeno View Post
                  The bottom line is that a round lasts 3 full minutes. not 2:58 seconds. chavez rendered Taylor unable to continue within the time frame of the round . to say taylor should have been allowed to finish the round because he was ahead on the cards would have robbed Chavez of a well earned victory.
                  Indeed, and would have put Taylor on a life support machine.

Comment

I thought it was a decent stoppage..

Like others have said, it became such a big deal because it was Richard Steele who has a track record of stopping fights in favor of a king fighter.. If it had been mills lane or somebody like that, i dont think it would have caused such a controversy, but having it be steele only added fuel to the fire...

I have probably watched that fight 100 times over the past 2 decades, and i think it was a good stoppage.

It sucks for taylor, but steele was talking to him, asking him to come forward to him, and if he was alright, and taylor just leaned into the corner and stared at his cornermen, and never responded to the ref's instructions,, when that happens they should stop it, since the guy clearly is dazed and has no idea what is going on..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                      Indeed, and would have put Taylor on a life support machine.
                      Quite amazing that such a damaged fighter returned to the ring in less than 5 months later and won a welterweight title in less than 10 months later. It sure seems like a gross exaggeration to think that in two seconds Taylor could have gone from standing to comatose, when he wouldn't have likely even been hit again.
                      Last edited by Scott9945; 12-25-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X