Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the silence during Chavez-Taylor 1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    Disagree, bad stoppage IMO and like Scott said, no time to throw more punches as Chavez was never directed toward a neutral corner.
    As said by many, Taylor's not quite right today.
    Think it's pretty obvious really.. Steele prevented a disaster
    One or two more punches would've cabbaged him

    As someone who's survived a subdural haematoma, believe me, I KNOW.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      As said by many, Taylor's not quite right today.
      Think it's pretty obvious really.. Steele prevented a disaster
      One or two more punches would've cabbaged him

      As someone who's survived a subdural haematoma, believe me, I KNOW.
      The fight was called at 2:58 of the 12th round. There wasn't going to be one or two more punches under any reasonable scenario.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        The fight was called at 2:58 of the 12th round. There wasn't going to be one or two more punches under any reasonable scenario.
        BOOM, right here, this I agree with. Taylor should've responded yes, but Steele could've made sure Taylor was paying attention to his instructions to make sure if he was okay because he only didn't respond because he was distracted, not because he was hurt. This fight, an early Pacquiao fight I wanted a few years back and Tyson-Ruddock 1 are the reasons why I don't like Richard Steele. Time should always be a factor. I see this often in MMA too, where there's maybe one second left when a fight is stopped and the fighter in trouble isn't being hit that hard. Let the bell ring.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          The fight was called at 2:58 of the 12th round. There wasn't going to be one or two more punches under any reasonable scenario.
          To be fair though there was a hold-up because Steele was trying to get Taylor to respond. If Taylor had responded right away I would say Chavez would have had about 4-5 seconds to run at Taylor and probably could have snuck a couple more punches in as the bell was ringing and Steele had to step in to stop the match.

          Even with that though, we'll never know what would have happened. IMO the stoppage was Lou Duva's fault for jumping on the ring appron and yelling which distracted the dazed Taylor enough.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            The fight was called at 2:58 of the 12th round. There wasn't going to be one or two more punches under any reasonable scenario.
            impending brain disasters happen in an instant, not seconds..
            Taylor had 2 seconds to say,'I'm ok' and he didn't respond.. Infact, 'impending' is slightly, the wrong choice of word.. In this instant, it was 'imminent'..
            Never mind who was winning, or who got robbed.. The facts are, a man was getting his head smashed in, and at time of intervention, was too concussed to acknowledge it..
            Steele did what he had to do... Bloody good ref imo

            Comment


            • #16
              There as a lot of chaos at the end of the fight. The commentators probably had no idea what to say.

              I believe the stoppage was horrible. If Steele thought Taylor was that badly hurt he should have waved the fight off as soon as he hit the canvas.

              Chavez Sr is one of my favorite fighters but that was 1 of a few gifts he got in the ring.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                (Luckily for judge Giampa, his scorecard is forgotten. How could he have Chavez ahead?)

                His scorecard was a far better reflection of the fight than Dave Moretti or Jerry Roth's scorecards were.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                  There as a lot of chaos at the end of the fight. The commentators probably had no idea what to say.

                  I believe the stoppage was horrible. If Steele thought Taylor was that badly hurt he should have waved the fight off as soon as he hit the canvas.

                  Chavez Sr is one of my favorite fighters but that was 1 of a few gifts he got in the ring.
                  He gave Taylor the chance to look him in the face and say he was ok, but he couldn't do it.. As ref in charge, Steel had no choice.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
                    To be fair though there was a hold-up because Steele was trying to get Taylor to respond. If Taylor had responded right away I would say Chavez would have had about 4-5 seconds to run at Taylor and probably could have snuck a couple more punches in as the bell was ringing and Steele had to step in to stop the match.

                    Even with that though, we'll never know what would have happened. IMO the stoppage was Lou Duva's fault for jumping on the ring appron and yelling which distracted the dazed Taylor enough.
                    That last part I agree with as well.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                      He gave Taylor the chance to look him in the face and say he was ok, but he couldn't do it.. As ref in charge, Steel had no choice.
                      This has alwfays been my sentiment, and at the time i was rooting for Taylor watching it in a bar in Mexico.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X
                      TOP