do we underate carlos monzon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do we underate carlos monzon?

I believe he holds the record for most mw defences.
    what are your view's of the ex champ resume and head to head chances with the other great mw's?

I have him in my top 15 P4P all-time.

Greb's style would be effective against him, and Robinson might be too slick for him, but those are the only two middleweights I'd pick to beat Monzon in his prime. I think he'd outpoint Hagler over 15 rounds; same for a middleweight Ezzard Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      I believe he holds the record for most mw defences.
      what are your view's of the ex champ resume and head to head chances with the other great mw's?
      Hopkins has the most defenses. He defended his MW title 20 times. Monzon was 14 I think. Of course, Monzon had the undisputed title before they had all the crappy alphabet belts. He also gets credit for "defending" the title with the NC against Allen when the ref accidentally pushed him out of the ring.

Comment

Second best Middleweight of all time! A tremendous body (5' 11" 160) who could box extremely well and punch with power!! His record speaks for its self and his determination is legendary!
        If he was entering his prime this year he would be the Middleweight Champion for as long as he'd like to be!! He lost 3 bouts early in his career and was never stopped in 100 fights! One of my favorite real ATG's he would dominate the likes of Toney, Hopkins, Jones etc.......imagine Calzaghe in the ring with Monzon, he'd have sneakers on and be running his azz off!
        Only Sugarman is ahead of Monzon and he's the Greatest Boxer Ever!! Ray.

Comment

I think he's the best Middleweight of all-time. Is that underrating him?

Comment

he's a great fighter, and maybe the best MW ever, but i have a hard time being positive about a guy who killed his wife.

Comment

Very underrated. A top 5 jab of all time, an iron chin, and super quick feet

vs Hagler - Monzon keeps Hagler on the outside and wins a clear decision

vs Hopkins - I think Monzon wins a close fight due to his punch output

vs Hearns - I think its a war and Monzon walks through the fire wins by KO late

vs Martinez - Very close fight, their styles would make an exciting fight, I'll say Monzon
              wins a tight decision

vs Benn - Another war and Monzon walks through the fire wins by KO late

vs McCallum - 50/50 fight neither fighter is able to sustain momentum

vs Leonard - Monzon wins by wide decision figuring out that Leonard isn't strong enough to keep him off

vs Sumbu - A tactical fight I think Monzon gets a tight decision

vs Toney - Bad matchup I think Monzon stays on the outside and wins a very wide decision

vs Eubank - 50/50 Very similar fighters, Eubank can match the iron chins and footspeed it would be exciting

vs Roy - Probable Roy's toughest fight from 160-175. I think its a slow paced fight where Monzon stalks Roy with his jab for 12 rounds. But I think Roy lands enough of his flashy combos to steal rounds and win a tight decision.

Comment

Carlos Monzon

Maybe an ATG...but and it's a very big but.......I can't recall a great or even
                very good Monzon fight...maybe that's to his credit that he was superior
                To the competition but it doesn't make for memorable fights.

Comment

Watch the first Benvenuti fight.

Comment

He is very underrated by forgotten with time

Comment

Working...
                    X